• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying my camera, any suggestions?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I'm looking for a lightweight camera back to bring on my camino hike.

I currently use a clik elite chest pack for my Sony NEX 5N with 4 lenses.I will only bring my 30 mm and my 18 mm so I don't really need the big and heavy bag.

I prefer to carry my camera in front of me so I'm looking for a lightweight solution.

One solution is to add carabineer on my strap that secures the top of my pack, and hook my camera strap through that. The camera is essentially hanging around my neck but is supported by the backpack, example image here: http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backp ... _19222.jpg if it rains I can put the camera in a dry bag in the backpack. The problem is where do I put the rest, the other lens, SD-cards, EVF, batteries? In side pocket or front pocket on hip belt? How to remember to move those inside the pack as well during bad weather. And how about when I want to leave the backpack and just bring the camera.

Or should I buy/sew something like this http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml it might bounce to much so I have to add straps in the bottom as well.

Or a shoulder pouch like this http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml ans have camera on one side and lenses/batteries/SD-cards/EVF etc on the other?

In worst case I'll buy the special chestport adaptors (http://clikelite.com/product/accessorie ... t-adaptor/) and fasten the clik bag in the backpack (I guess I have to do some modifications to my Gossamer Gear Mariposa for that) instead of the harness that it comes with to get it a little bit lighter. The harness is a little to big for me around the waist with just a t-shirt on, in winter clothing it is perfect.

I don't want a hip/fanny/waist pack and nothing where my camera hangs in a screw in a plate as in my tripod. I have looked at ribz pack and they are to big.

Any suggestions?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Beatrice,

I also took my camera (an old Canon 300D) along, with slower optics: 18-55mm/1:3,5 and 90-300mm/1:4,5, but were sufficient. I was using Lowepro Off Trail 2 (http://naturography.com/lowepro-off-tra ... ck-review/) which is topload & beltpack combo with very important belt added which you put around your neck so the weight is evenly deployed between waist and neck. Also the side holsters are very useful. In the right one was 90-300mm and in the left one 0,75l plastic flask with water. This way I didn't have to stop and search through my rucksack neither for taking photos nor drinking. And another important thing about that, because I also have very bad knees (alpinistic injury), this way I managed to redeploy a bit of weight from my back to the front and got better balance of the whole body. Along with using the walking poles. It looked like this :D

Attachments

• 1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,880
BeatriceKarjalainen said:
The problem is where do I put the rest, the other lens, SD-cards, EVF, batteries? In side pocket or front pocket on hip belt? How to remember to move those inside the pack as well during bad weather. And how about when I want to leave the backpack and just bring the camera.

Why do you need a second backpack?

Case Logic, MountainSmith, and LowePro look to be your manufacturers of choice. You could check out the full ranges on their own sites, or perhaps get a price reduction at http://www.ebags.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
NicoZ said:
The problem is where do I put the rest, the other lens, SD-cards, EVF, batteries? In side pocket or front pocket on hip belt? How to remember to move those inside the pack as well during bad weather. And how about when I want to leave the backpack and just bring the camera.

I don't need a second backpack. I need something to carry my camera in. Sometimes I might put my packpack in a storage in a bigger town or in a hotel room if I stay at a hotel now and there. Then I need to be able to bring just the camera and lenses with me.

KinkyOne said:
Hi, Beatrice,

I also took my camera (an old Canon 300D) along, with slower optics: 18-55mm/1:3,5 and 90-300mm/1:4,5, but were sufficient. I was using Lowepro Off Trail 2 (http://naturography.com/lowepro-off-tra ... ck-review/) which is topload & beltpack combo with very important belt added which you put around your neck so the weight is evenly deployed between waist and neck.

Thank you. But I want to avoid carrying stuff on my neck as i have problems wry neck and I also want to avoid carrying more than the weight from my backpack on my hip. I have pockets on my hip belt on my backpack that would be in the way for some hip belts. That is the reason I have a chest carrier for my camera on shorter hikes. I could use the one I have but it is a little bit to big and to heavy. I therefor looking for something smaller/lighter with a good construction. Clik has a smaller version of their bag but I'm not so sure about the construction with hooks on the waiststrap.

I carried my heavy Nikon D70 along with a 18-135 zoom lens, in a simple waist pack on my second camino and while I walked the via Francigena in Italy. Obviously not the most ideal bag to carry a camera.

But is was easy to take my camera out and use it as needed. With the waist belt basically attached to me throughout the day, I had the comfort of knowing I would not accidentally leave my camera bag and gear behind somewhere or worse that somebody would take it. The waist belt was snug enough that I could slip my rain gear over it if needed.

The Nikon even survived when I fell face first on the second camino ( sliced open my left hand ) shortly after crossing into Galicia, I have since upgraded the simple waist belt to a padded waist belt just in case this happens again - hopefully not.

Mind you I am now looking a buying a Sony NEX 6 to replace my Nikon D70 but if I do, I will probably use a simple padded waist belt to carry it in while walking or traveling again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kitsambler said:
Case Logic, MountainSmith, and LowePro look to be your manufacturers of choice. You could check out the full ranges on their own sites, or perhaps get a price reduction at http://www.ebags.com
Thanks for the manufactures but I have checked them all and they only have backpacks, lumbar packs, slings and hip bags :-(

jirit said:
I carried my heavy Nikon D70 along with a 18-135 zoom lens, in a simple waist pack on my second camino and while I walked the via Francigena in Italy. Obviously not the most ideal bag to carry a camera.
Thanks but as I stated in my question I don't want to carry anyting on my hip/waist except for my backpack (and small money wallet under the clothes).

NicoZ said:

I don't need a second backpack. I need something to carry my camera in. Sometimes I might put my packpack in a storage in a bigger town or in a hotel room if I stay at a hotel now and there. Then I need to be able to bring just the camera and lenses with me.

If you just want a bag to put your camera in when the backpack is in storage why not a messenger bag?

The basic cloth ones are light. Not overly expensive. I don't know how large your camera is but shouldn't be a problem.

Cons they often have lousy shoulder straps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jirit said:
Thanks but as I stated in my question I don't want to carry anyting on my hip/waist except for my backpack (and small money wallet under the clothes).

Sorry I missed that requirement but thought my approach might be something to consider.

Changing topics what do you think of the Sony NEX series cameras?

I love my camera. It is light enough to bring anywhere and still takes really good pictures. I have a 5N but wish I had a 7 to get a little bit more flexibility in settings via turners and buttons. There is a little bit too much menu handling on 5.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wrote that I don't want a solution where my camera hangs in a screw (I removed links to all already suggested solutions I don't like and wrote a more generic statement). If I bring my tripod and also have to change the plate.

And where do I put the rest of my camera stuff? And how to were the camera when I don't have my backpack. The solution is one sided. Need to balance with something else on the other side. I also think the camera is a little bit unprotected hanging on the side. It is easier to protect it if I fall if the camera is in the middle.

I use these Reporter/Backpack straps with my pack ... they snap onto the shoulder straps and stay put ...
http://optechusa.com/reporter-backpack.html

When I don't have my pack on, I use this Bino/Cam Harness™ ...
http://optechusa.com/bino-cam-harness.html

The snap clips at the camera end work with all of their straps so it is easy to snap the camera off one harness and hook it onto the other one.

If the weather forecast calls for rain, slip on a Rainsleeve ™ and you can still grab a shot at any time ...
http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

Your spare lens and bits can go into the pockets on your backpack's waist strap. I carry a light photography vest for when my pack is off, then the extra lens and bits go into its pockets.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with OP/TECH USA. I'm just a happy user.

¡Buen Camino!
:arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BrianForbesColgate said:
I use these Reporter/Backpack straps with my pack ... they snap onto the shoulder straps and stay put ...
http://optechusa.com/reporter-backpack.html

When I don't have my pack on, I use this Bino/Cam Harness™ ...
http://optechusa.com/bino-cam-harness.html

The snap clips at the camera end work with all of their straps so it is easy to snap the camera off one harness and hook it onto the other one.

If the weather forecast calls for rain, slip on a Rainsleeve ™ and you can still grab a shot at any time ...
http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

Your spare lens and bits can go into the pockets on your backpack's waist strap. I carry a light photography vest for when my pack is off, then the extra lens and bits go into its pockets.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with OP/TECH USA. I'm just a happy user.

¡Buen Camino!
:arrow:
Looks interesting but i think my boobs might be a problem. For a flat chested person it will hang straight down but i have a G-cup in front of me. I might be able to keep the camera closer to my body by the sternun strap but then I have to lower it to cross my boobs instead of above them and that is quite uncomfortable :-/

Beatrice:
Saw this today on sale and thought it might be a possibility for you if you connect it to your pack straps.
http://rushfaster.com.au/product/booq/p ... coal/6582/

I did not see your comments about a clip option until you replied, but that choice is good if the clip on your tripod would work and I know that one is a standard.

Several backpackers I know use the OpTech straps and a Zipp neoprene cover. This gives options for carrying. All the other camera gear goes in the pack top pocket.

I have seen this strap arrangement work so that the camera was kept off to one sholder side and suspended kind of.

I don't know the details of how it was set up, but it made the camera easy to get to yet not bouncing in front of you.

Good luck.
Rambler

I own another top loaded case (from another camera that weights 269 g so still some weight) and I have tried to walk with it connected to another backpack. I could not keep it from bouncing and that was the reason for getting the clik case. It is good for short trips but to heavy now.

There must be other woman with large breasts carrying cameras in a comfortable way?

I looked into http://optechusa.com/straps/stabilizer-strap.html but they might be a little to big for my small camera.

But I found out that low pro sells harness and also http://www.kgear.com/store/h/strap-harness/h715.html could work with the old bag.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

It seems that you are happy with your Clik Elite bag except that it is too big and heavy; so why don't you buy a smaller Clik bag that will attach to the same harness, or do you need to buy a complete bag/harness?

Re: Re: Carrying my camera, any suggestions?

muzzal said:
Hi

It seems that you are happy with your Clik Elite bag except that it is too big and heavy; so why don't you buy a smaller Clik bag that will attach to the same harness, or do you need to buy a complete bag/harness?
The harness is s little to big when I just have a T-shirt on, I can't tighten it enough around my waist. And the smaller bags have almost the same harness I guess it is the same size but the use large hooks next to the bag and I think they will chafe. The clik cases are great when I wear a jacket or a fleece.

The smaller once weights 300 g the one I have 454 g. It might be worth € 39 + post & package for testing.

Will send a mail to them and ask about the size of the harness.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm so stupid I just checked the harness and I can make it smaller I missed one thing on the waistband. *face palm*.

So the big question is is it worth €39 to get rid of 154 g.

I tried this setup today, using my macabi shirt strap to secure the lens. The camera strap was secured in my sternum strap and fastened in the extra straps on my GG Mariposa. It worked. The camera hanged still and I didn't feel the weight of it. When it started to rain I took the lens and other camera stuff from the hip belt pockets and put them with the camera in a dry bag in my side pocket.
IMG_20130713_152832.jpg

I did try to hang the camera from the sternum strap and shoulder straps as so many suggested but the camera bounced a lot. Made my crazy.

Solved the problem, bought a really light camera bag and repaird my sewing machine and made alterations to the bag strap. Now it has 2 carabineer hooks on it to connect to 2 D-rings above my shoulder straps on the backpack. I can fixate the bag with the sternum strap and if necessary i can fixate the bottom of the bag in my hip belt with a piece of velcro or with the strange middle strap the Gossamer Gear Mariposa has. I can easily detach one of the hooks to get in/out of the backpack and swing the camera bag over and put it in the mesh pocket on my backpack if I know that there will be no photo opportunities for a while or if it starts to rain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have only just found this thread but will offer my thought.
My camera has a small bag with a strap. I carry it over my shoulder and across my body to hang at my side, then put my rucksac on so that the camera is pushed forward a little. That might help too as well as your adaptation, or at times that you want really quick access. :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.