• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrying stones

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carried a stone from home, chosen on an old pilgrimage site here in Galloway, on which my daughter wrote "Dad" on one side and "Grandad" on the other, in memory of my father. I planned to leave it at the sea in Finistere, but actually got fond enough of it that I brought it home, and it now sits on my mantelpiece as a living memory. I also followed the tradition of picking up a stone while walking when I had a question, and putting it down when and where I got my answer. This did get some bemused questions "You have to climb up this hill and you are carrying rocks as well?"

Do people carry stones etc on the "other" caminos? If so, where do they leave them?
Peg and I dropped 3 at the Cruz de Ferro on the Canino Frances and I carried another that I picked up from a beach on Cape Cod, Massachusetts all the way to the beach at Finisterre. That was not quite "another" camino but not quite the Camino Frances either.

I bought a little stone from a stream that runs into the sea at a place called Saltburn in the north east of England, my dad's ashes were scattered on the beach next to the stream. I had big plans for the stone, but on the very 1st day over the Pyrenees, I felt so at peace with everything, that I knew this was the place for the stone. Sometimes I look back and think couldn't I have hung on to it and took it on more of the journey with me but in that very moment on the Camino I knew this was it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But in answer to your question:rolleyes: yes people do leave them on other caminos and it is where you feel you want to leave them, obviously there is some places which take more stones than other, high points, crosses, high points with crosses:) and places of beauty or peace/stillness.

there is this at San Andres de Teixido
San Andres.JPG

when I walked the Primitivo in 2012 I also saw this, although it wasn't clear to me if this was just something new someone was trying to get started. I saw a notice about it in Al Acebo, and it was located somewhere after the Chapel of Santa Barbara, past Barbeitos but before Fonsagrada...maybe someone else knows more about it
camino 2 2900.JPG
camino 2 2901.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I pick my stones on the Way, when they call me. Their significance come to me as I walk, but when I drop them, I know.
I left (actually, tried to throw it in the ocean, but it's quite far from the top!) my first stone and buried pictures in Fisterra after walking on France's routes, the C del Norte and Primitivo. My second stone was left at the Quintana Square (after the Plata), under St James' watch. The third one was left at the Cruz del Ferro.
I don't pick stones when I'm on the Camino but not doing a pilgrimage. No reason for it apart I don't feel like doing it.
I believe the object and place don't matter, but the meaning of the ritual and its significance do... :)

full

All the pilgrims attending the blessing after evening Mass in Barcelos were given a small cockle shell a written blessing and a pebble. Both the shell and the pebble had been decorated with the cross of St James and the priest who welcomed us into the vestry of his church to sign the register of pilgrims, said that we could leave it on the Camino (Portuguese) at a place we thought appropriate or keep it.

there is this at San Andres de Teixido
View attachment 30019

when I walked the Primitivo in 2012 I also saw this, although it wasn't clear to me if this was just something new someone was trying to get started. I saw a notice about it in Al Acebo, and it was located somewhere after the Chapel of Santa Barbara, past Barbeitos but before Fonsagrada...maybe someone else knows more about it
View attachment 30022
View attachment 30023
I thought El Acebo might be a likely place, since it's just inside Galicia. Thanks for that, and for the pictures.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.