• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carte Bancaire vs US visa or mastercard - in France

ScottPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
I think this may be a dumb question but I cannot find the answer elsewhere. If a hotel or auberge or gites accepts Carte Bancaire does that mean they accept credit cards such as US issued Visa and Mastercards or does it mean they only accept CB cards issued by French banks which seem to hybrid ATM cards/credit cards.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No. They might, and due to covid, chances are getting higher, but there is always a chance, that the accept a "checking card" but not a credit card. (or just cash)

edit: chances get significantly lower if you want to use anyhting besides Visa or Master. Amex, Diners and whatsnot are quite rarerly accepted

My card from BNP is a carte bancaire and treated like a debit card in France. I would never think to use it for a purchase in Spain other than an ATM withdrawals.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

My French-issued Carte Bancaire is an international Visa (debit) card. Used in hotels anywhere, including Spain, without any comment from the receiver. Also used worldwide for purchasing from web sites (US, UK, Poland...)

In fact, in France, "Carte Bancaire" is :
- a generic name for "plastic" from any bank
- a logo / label (CB) featured on some French cards (Visa and Mastercard as far as I know).

OK with Anhalter about accepted cards.

I bring both Amex and Visa..
Both to not charge conversion fees…
And there are a number of establishments that do take Amex.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Visa is generally the safe bet in Europe. Most cartes bancaires are Visa, whether credit or debit.

To "qualify" for a non-Visa pure debit card, you basically need to be a homeless drunk. Even a pure debit card that you charge with cash will be Visa.

"qualify" for a non-Visa pure debit card, you basically need to be a homeless drunk. Even a pure debit card that you charge with cash will be Visa.
Mostly... There are some very expensive cards used by homeless drunks who can't get anything else. They recharge them with actual cash at the tobacconist.
Prepaid debit cards come in Visa and Mastercard flavours and can be recharged via a bank account or another card. N26 and Revolut for example. One interesting thing about them is that they can be frozen or blocked by a phone app so are very safe to carry, and you can hide a spare. They also give a very good exchange rate.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think I understand that Carte Bancaire act as Visa or Mastercard (depending on branding) for French holders abroad in addition to being ATM cards, but they are described as having a PIN which makes them more like an ATM card by US definitions. You can also use your bank card in US (mine is also branded VISA) to pay for things if you provide the PIN, though it is not a common practice where I am because it can incur fees and is security risk since it is linked to your bank account. Anyway, I never do it.

My real question was this: if a place is listed as accepting Carte Bancaire in Miam Miam does this mean they will also accept Visa or Mastercard Credit Cards (not linked to a bank account) issued by US Banks (like JP Morgan Chase or Wells Fargo) or is CB a term of art that refers only to cards issued within some internal network of banks that are essentially ATM cards with Visa charging (ie require a pin).

Ok. After some digging, I have the distinction: chip & signature cards (which is what most people in US use) vs chip & PIN (which apparently is the common configuration in France). US Card holders only use PINs with credit cards to make cash withdrawals on a credit card, which generally is a bad idea financially. So the question is can one use Chip & Signature cards where CB accepted in France. Seems maybe that it depends. I'll talk to my bank about the pin situation, if one can get one issued to use for charges as opposed to just cash withdrawals. Will report my findings for anyone interested.

Mostly... There are some very expensive cards used by homeless drunks who can't get anything else. They recharge them with actual cash at the tobacconist.
Prepaid debit cards come in Visa and Mastercard flavours and can be recharged via a bank account or another card. N26 and Revolut for example. One interesting thing about them is that they can be frozen or blocked by a phone app so are very safe to carry, and you can hide a spare. They also give a very good exchange rate.
Prepaid is a useful suggestion since my daughter may be traveling solo after I return to US and it would be good to make sure she didn't have to carry large amounts of cash. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
CB = Visa

Mastercard can and often does work too, but you should be ready on occasion with a plan B.

Though you should certainly be able to get cash from ATMs with Mastercard.

Prepaid CB/Visa might be a good backup.

Prepaid is a useful suggestion since my daughter may be traveling solo after I return to US and it would be good to make sure she didn't have to carry large amounts of cash. Thank you!
I've sent you a private message

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.