• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Camino Riego VdLP for sale

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
CF; Norte; Ingles; Augustine; Portugues Central
Two new doors in my life have opened almost simultaneously: I recently stumbled across the ad for the sale of Casa Camino Riego in Riego del Camino on the VdLP and a week later I was approached about selling my current place in Slovakia. I have been contemplating relocating to Spain for the past year and I'd like to give back to the camino in a small way. I have no plans for an albergue as a business but more of creating a home that I can share with the odd stray pilgrims to stay and share a meal with me. The Casa Camino Riego is on the market and is apparently legally registered with the Ayunamiento and can be registered as a Casa Rural. It is apparently liveable immediately. I have not walked the VdLP yet but its location is good (between Zamora and Tábara or after Montamarta ie. Stage 22/23). It was run by 3 young female volunteers for 2017 and met with sufficient success. I'm fluent in Spanish, am retired, have walked 2 full caminos and will walk the Ingles in November and planning the Salvador-Primitivo in 2019. I've read all the posts here regarding running an albergue, living in Spain (which I did, 2 years in Barcelona) so I'd appreciate specific feedback regarding this potential future home/small donativo, re the VdLP during off season, etc. Im a bit different from others here looking to run an albergue because my intention is to live in Spain (I have an EU citizenship) and if near a camino open my home to a few pilgrims in need. I will not finance my daily life in Spain by the donativo income. Thanks in advance for feedback or any other suggestions.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Two new doors in my life have opened almost simultaneously: I recently stumbled across the ad for the sale of Casa Camino Riego in Riego del Camino on the VdLP and a week later I was approached about selling my current place in Slovakia. I have been contemplating relocating to Spain for the past year and I'd like to give back to the camino in a small way. I have no plans for an albergue as a business but more of creating a home that I can share with the odd stray pilgrims to stay and share a meal with me. The Casa Camino Riego is on the market and is apparently legally registered with the Ayunamiento and can be registered as a Casa Rural. It is apparently liveable immediately. I have not walked the VdLP but its location is good a (between Zamora and Montamarta) although between Stage 22 (Zamora) and Stage 23 (Montamarta). It was run by 3 young female volunteers for 2017 and met with sufficient success. I'm fluent in Spanish, am retired, have walked 2 full caminos and will walk the Ingles in November and planning the Salvador-Primitivo in 2019. I've read all the posts here regarding running an albergue, living in Spain (which I did, 2 years in Barcelona) so I'd appreciate specific feedback regarding this potential future home/small donativo, re the VdLP during off season, etc. Im a bit different from others here looking to run an albergue because my intention is to live in Spain (I have an EU citizenship) and if near a camino open my home to a few pilgrims in need. I will not finance my daily life in Spain by the donativo income. Thanks in advance for feedback or any other suggestions.
Ah, that's just great Colette!!!
Fulfilling your wish living in Spain and give back to the Camino. I really envy you :)

I really like the nature and terrain around there (walked it two times) and beautiful city of Zamora (and Toro) so close makes it a perfect spot. Don't worry about "the stages". In 2015 I was thinking of late start from Zamora and to stay overnight in Roales del Pan (6km) which would make next stage to Riego del Camino very doable (28km). In the end I didn't do it for other reasons. But this year I was doing very short stages and stayed in RdC and there were 7 of us in muni albergue so I think there are many chances you'll be able to host some pilgrims.

Wish you all the best!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good luck. It's a very good location, almost exactly half way between Zamora and Tábara. I meant to stay in the municipal albergue there once, but a friendly local farmer strongly advised against, so I went on to Montamarta, which is far from the best albergue in the world. The bar Pepe in Riego del Camino was (then) very scuzzy, but it might have improved by now (actually it was closed last time I went through).

The nearby ruined monastery of Moreruela is well worth a look, some glorious Romanesque remains.

Sadly this year I'll be joining the Sanabrés well to the west, but hope to meet you in your new venture in 2019.

... The bar Pepe in Riego del Camino was (then) very scuzzy, but it might have improved by now (actually it was closed last time I went through).
No, Alan, it didn't improve. Actually it's even worse :D
I already mentioned this in another thread but will do it again here. This year me, my companion and another French pilgrim (there were others too of course but I didn't really speak to them) went to Bar Pepe for dinner and I warned both not to go to the toilet before they finish their meal. Both were very grateful for the advice ;)

The dinner was just one course (with salad) but it was one half of roasted chicken! Some pilgrims requested to be heated in microwave oven but they said otherwise it was very good and nicely seasoned.

Congratulations Colette!
I have a place on the Frances similar to what you describe, it is a wonderful life, but it can be quite lonely in winter, especially out there on the Via de la Plata. I hope you are prepared for a LOT of your own company! Before you make the leap, get in touch with Jose Almeida, the hospitalero at Tabara. He is very friendly and well-connected, can help you in a million ways. Send a private message if you would like his contact info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations Colette!
I have a place on the Frances similar to what you describe, it is a wonderful life, but it can be quite lonely in winter, especially out there on the Via de la Plata. I hope you are prepared for a LOT of your own company! Before you make the leap, get in touch with Jose Almeida, the hospitalero at Tabara. He is very friendly and well-connected, can help you in a million ways. Send a private message if you would like his contact info.

Good advice! Jose has been very helpful to me over the years, especially when I was thinking (haha never have stopped;)) of doing just this along the Via de la Plata. I even stayed 4 days in Tabara to talk to him.

Several months ago I was in contact with one of the women who lived in Riego and ran the "albergue" for a year. I use quotes as from the pictures, it looks more like a home which has room for several pilgrims than an albergue. But this seems to be exactly what you are looking for! It looked quite cozy.

I've walked the Via de la Plata twice, parts three times in summer, winter and fall and although I love it, the Plata is very different from other Caminos, especially the ones which you have walked. I suggest walking a few of the stages before and after Riego to get a feel of the area. Spend a few days in Riego, talk to neighbors etc. I hear that the three ladies were welcomed with open arms.

I have not walked the VdLP but its location is good a (between Zamora and Montamarta) although between Stage 22 (Zamora) and Stage 23 (Montamarta).

As Kinky says, do not pay attention to the official stages but I believe that you are misinformed about the location (or I am reading your post incorrectly). Riego is about 35 km from Zamora and is located 16 km after Montamarta and 31 km before Tabara. I did these stages on each occasion but the majority of pilgrims do Zamora - Montamarta (19 km) - Granja (22.5 km) - Tabara (25 km).

All of this is definately not to dissuade you but rather to give some advice:)

Please let us know what you have decided. Someone with great love of the Camino and especially solitude would do well there.

I second @LTfit advice to walk as a pilgrim at least few stages before the RdC (both on Levante and VdlP) and few after it (both on VdlP and Sanabres).
You will get familiar with the terrain and would be able to give possible pilgrims staying in your house advice. I mean those let's say 6 stages are nothing special in terms of physical difficulty but you will know what the pilgrims have been through and what they can expect. You will be local and "foreigners" will trust you so you have to know things yourself (firsthand) if you want to help :)

Buena suerte!

PS (The path to the house is not really well waymarked for someone who doesn't know that it exists in first place. Maybe think about that too.)

Last edited:
Good luck. It's a very good location, almost exactly half way between Zamora and Tábara. I meant to stay in the municipal albergue there once, but a friendly local farmer strongly advised against, so I went on to Montamarta, which is far from the best albergue in the world. The bar Pepe in Riego del Camino was (then) very scuzzy, but it might have improved by now (actually it was closed last time I went through).

The nearby ruined monastery of Moreruela is well worth a look, some glorious Romanesque remains.

Sadly this year I'll be joining the Sanabrés well to the west, but hope to meet you in your new venture in 2019.

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I second @LTfit advice to walk as a pilgrim at least few stages before the RdC (both on Levante and VdlP) and few after it (both on VdlP and Sanabres).
You will get familiar with the terrain and would be able to give possible pilgrims staying in your house advice. I mean those let's say 6 stages are nothing special in terms of physical difficulty but you will know what the pilgrims have been through and what they can expect. You will be local and "foreigners" will trust you so you have to know things yourself (firsthand) if you want to help :)

Buena suerte!

PS (The path to the house is not really well waymarked for someone who doesn't know that it exists in first place. Maybe think about that too.)
God advice, my plan is to maybe walk late October from Zamora about 1 week and arrive in the village as a pilgrim . Yes I realize the location after Zamora, after Montamarta /Tábara.

Good advice! Jose has been very helpful to me over the years, especially when I was thinking (haha never have stopped;)) of doing just this along the Via de la Plata. I even stayed 4 days in Tabara to talk to him.

Several months ago I was in contact with one of the women who lived in Riego and ran the "albergue" for a year. I use quotes as from the pictures, it looks more like a home which has room for several pilgrims than an albergue. But this seems to be exactly what you are looking for! It looked quite cozy.

I've walked the Via de la Plata twice, parts three times in summer, winter and fall and although I love it, the Plata is very different from other Caminos, especially the ones which you have walked. I suggest walking a few of the stages before and after Riego to get a feel of the area. Spend a few days in Riego, talk to neighbors etc. I hear that the three ladies were welcomed with open arms.

As Kinky says, do not pay attention to the official stages but I believe that you are misinformed about the location (or I am reading your post incorrectly). Riego is about 35 km from Zamora and is located 16 km after Montamarta and 31 km before Tabara. I did these stages on each occasion but the majority of pilgrims do Zamora - Montamarta (19 km) - Granja (22.5 km) - Tabara (25 km).

All of this is definately not to dissuade you but rather to give some advice:)

Please let us know what you have decided. Someone with great love of the Camino and especially solitude would do well there.
Yes I corrected my quote of the location.

The bar Pepe in Riego del Camino was (then) very scuzzy, but it might have improved by now (actually it was closed last time I went through).

No, Alan, it didn't improve. Actually it's even worse :D

Yes, I remember this bar from my journey on the Via de la Plata 2009. It was one of the rare places where you should only drink coffee (because the boiling water would kill the bacteria) or brandy (then the alcohol will work as a desinfectant). I remember the landlady in a pink leisure suit watching a silly game show on TV, the windows shut to keep the sun out. When later she opened the shutters we were really shocked how filthy the whole place was (the Spanisch would say: "muy sucio") and glad, that we had ordered only coffee and brandy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A wonderful opportunity for a happy pilgrim to make others even happier! I’ve stayed in Zamora and Tabara - and yes, I agree that Jose is an exemplary hospitalero - but I passed through Riego without stopping. If you were to buy this albergue I would certainly break my journey there on the next occasion. As others have suggested, you really should try before you buy, so that you can make an informed decision. Best wishes, Colette, whatever you decide to do.

God advice, my plan is to maybe walk late October from Zamora about 1 week and arrive in the village as a pilgrim . Yes I realize the location after Zamora, after Montamarta /Tábara.
I would suggest for:
- Levante at least from Toro (such a nice town),
- Plata maybe even from Salamanca to Benavente,
- and Sanabres at least to Tabara. Here it might be good to walk a bit further because you have two options after Tabara either through Villanueva de las Peras (very nice albergue, two bars/restaurants but no shop) or Bercianos de Valverde (haven't tried it yet but Gronze has nothing there although I remember there's some kind of muni refugio).

If you want another contact in Tabara I know a local historian Elias Vicente Fernandez who is writing a book on monasteries in the wider area around Tabara and Zamora.

What a grand adventure, Colette. I followed along on your Norte camino this spring on Camigas and was so impressed by your positive attitude and ne'er say die spirit. Based upon your posts, I say that if anyone can do this, you can! Good luck and keep us posted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two new doors in my life have opened almost simultaneously: I recently stumbled across the ad for the sale of Casa Camino Riego in Riego del Camino on the VdLP and a week later I was approached about selling my current place in Slovakia. I have been contemplating relocating to Spain for the past year and I'd like to give back to the camino in a small way. I have no plans for an albergue as a business but more of creating a home that I can share with the odd stray pilgrims to stay and share a meal with me. The Casa Camino Riego is on the market and is apparently legally registered with the Ayunamiento and can be registered as a Casa Rural. It is apparently liveable immediately. I have not walked the VdLP yet but its location is good (between Zamora and Tábara or after Montamarta ie. Stage 22/23). It was run by 3 young female volunteers for 2017 and met with sufficient success. I'm fluent in Spanish, am retired, have walked 2 full caminos and will walk the Ingles in November and planning the Salvador-Primitivo in 2019. I've read all the posts here regarding running an albergue, living in Spain (which I did, 2 years in Barcelona) so I'd appreciate specific feedback regarding this potential future home/small donativo, re the VdLP during off season, etc. Im a bit different from others here looking to run an albergue because my intention is to live in Spain (I have an EU citizenship) and if near a camino open my home to a few pilgrims in need. I will not finance my daily life in Spain by the donativo income. Thanks in advance for feedback or any other suggestions.

Feel free to drop by my place, and stay for a couple of nights!, when you are next in Santiago and we can chat.

Buen Camino, SY

I would suggest for:
- Levante at least from Toro (such a nice town),
- Plata maybe even from Salamanca to Benavente,
- and Sanabres at least to Tabara. Here it might be good to walk a bit further because you have two options after Tabara either through Villanueva de las Peras (very nice albergue, two bars/restaurants but no shop) or Bercianos de Valverde (haven't tried it yet but Gronze has nothing there although I remember there's some kind of muni refugio).

If you want another contact in Tabara I know a local historian Elias Vicente Fernandez who is writing a book on monasteries in the wider area around Tabara and Zamora.
Thank you for great suggestions. Please do provide the contact info for Elias Vicente Fernandez. I could arrange to meet along with Jose when I visit late Oct/early Nov.

Thank you for great suggestions. Please do provide the contact info for Elias Vicente Fernandez. I could arrange to meet along with Jose when I visit late Oct/early Nov.
Ahem, at the moment I can't send any PMs because I am under moderation :)
If you send me PM then I'll be able to answer but I can't compose one myself...

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ahem, at the moment I can't send any PMs because I am under moderation :)
If you send me PM then I'll be able to answer but I can't compose one myself...
Seems there’s no Start a Conversation tab when I click on your username. If you Messenger then I’m there Colette Zaharie

@Colette Z
I have just noticed this posting and am hoping that my reply may be useful to you. I stayed at Casa Camino for two nights at the beginning of November last fall. I was their last pilgrim guest, as they were in the process of preparing for imminent departure. As for the physical condition of the place, last November, there had been significant upgrades. This was noticeable in the bathroom, for example, with a new and spacious shower. It is an interesting building, with photos which show something of the family history of the owner. I had no difficulty finding it. I had booked ahead for two nights to have a rest and retreat after walking from Seville without a day off. The hospitality was wonderful. I was dealing with a man who had been following me for days and was lurking outside the pilgrim entrance when I went out in the morning with one of the hospitaleras. She chased him off and was supportive of my situation after that. In the evening of Nov. 1, All Saints Day, I went with the three of them to a service at the church, which was heavily attended by the villagers. Everyone hugged the hospitaleras, saying goodbye after their year in the village. Jose Almeida from Tabera dropped in at the albergue to wish them well. The next evening, we went to a neighbouring village, where they had been invited for a goodbye dinner. It is certain that they made a favourable impression on their neighbours, and on me. They spent some time informing me of a detour to avoid Granja de Moreruela, where the albergue was, in any case, closed for the season, and hopefully also to avoid the man who was following me. I was never really aware of the presence of any other albergue in Riego del Camino, as I had booked ahead for Casa del Camino, attracted by their on-line information and the entry in Kelly's guide. I wanted what they had to offer, which was more personal than simply a bed in a hostel. If this is what you want to offer, it could be very useful to pilgrims if you could advertise your presence, especially if the municipal is closed in the off season. The hospitaleras told me that they had been obliged to leave because the building was about to be put up for sale. If it had been on the market since last November, you may be able to purchase it for a reasonable price. Good luck,
Mary Louise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Feel free to drop by my place, and stay for a couple of nights!, when you are next in Santiago and we can chat.

Buen Camino, SY
I will this time for sure once I figure out if I start the Ingles then head to Riego or reverse (latter more straightforward for traveling to/from via Madrid) !

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back