• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa de Fernanda

Walli Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many. First 2009 and still going.
We will be starting in Porto on 31st May and would very much like to stay at Casa de Fernanda.
My question is: Do Fernanda or Jacinto speak English?
I am trying to learn Spanish and will make sure that I have a few words of Portuguese but I would not be able to phone ahead to reserve beds in their language. I haven't been able to find an email address for them - emailing would be easier in Portuguese than phoning.
Hope someone can help me.
Thankyou. Jacki.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was there two years ago with a mixture of Irish, Polish, French, Spanish, Danish and American pilgrims and I think the only conversation going on was in English. I seem to remember someone else asking for an email address on this Forum and getting an answer that there is not one. Albertinho will surely know.

do not worry, just phone her in advance so that you can help her calculate how much food they might need, it is a unique experience indeed to enjoy their hospitality!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will be starting in Porto on 31st May and would very much like to stay at Casa de Fernanda.
My question is: Do Fernanda or Jacinto speak English?
I am trying to learn Spanish and will make sure that I have a few words of Portuguese but I would not be able to phone ahead to reserve beds in their language. I haven't been able to find an email address for them - emailing would be easier in Portuguese than phoning.
Hope someone can help me.
Thankyou. Jacki.
We know Fernanda and Jacinto very well. They are busy allmost 24/7 to please all pilgrims arriving at their home.
They have not the time to answer emails so the phone is the only option to call her +351 914 589 521. Both Fernanda and Jacinto do speak and understand english. I have their emailaddress but on their request to keep it for myselself, I will respect that. Phone them the day before or on the morning before arriving and enjoy your stay.

Thank you biarritzdon, amancio and Albertinho, that's good news.
I knew I could rely on you all for a straight answer.
Cheers, Jacki.

I was there for several days in 2013 helping out as an accidental assistant hospitalero and the only way to reserve is to phone Jacinto. They speak limited English but I am sure that Jacinta will understand if you speak slowly and clearly. She works in the post office in Barcelos and if convenient and the post office is open when you are there it could be worthwhile to pop in and talk to her. They are a wonderful couple. When I was there in early June, we were able to accommodate everyone who arrived before 6pm, and they will conjure up beds or mattresses to somehow fit you in. They both have full time jobs so they are very busy people. All beds are real beds, not bunks, complete with sheets and pillowcases. You eat at one long communal table with the dinner and breakfast they cook for you in their own home. It was my birthday when I was there and they organised a lady in the village to cook a cake for me which was big enough for 16 servings at breakfast and another 16 at dinner that night. Say hi to them from me please and just mention the cake. David

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If it is not possible to phone and make a booking, will there still be place in May?

Thank you,
Johan

You can phone, my suggestion would be several days ahead around dinner or breakfast time. As David said if you show up by 6pm they will probably figure out a way to find you a place to put your head. I arrived around 4pm and was one of the last to be given a bed in the dormitory.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can phone, my suggestion would be several days ahead around dinner or breakfast time. As David said if you show up by 6pm they will probably figure out a way to find you a place to put your head. I arrived around 4pm and was one of the last to be given a bed in the dormitory.

I'll bewalking from Pedra Furada, so maybe I'll be early? Probably have to wait for a while...

I'll bewalking from Pedra Furada, so maybe I'll be early? Probably have to wait for a while...

Hi Johan, are you staying at Antonio Ferreira’s in Pedra Furada? He’s a really nice guy and I am sure he would phone Casa Fernanda’s to book a bed for you. He phoned for a taxi for me last year when one of us was injured.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.