• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa de los Dioses to close down

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Seems David and Suzy are leaving the Casa de los Dioses, see http://www.radiocaminodesantiago.co...uros-del-camino-de-santiago-va-a-desaparecer/

Summary:

After 7 years of service to pilgrims David says Good Bye to the Casa de los Dioses 2km before San Justo de la Vega. He is tired living in the 'theatre piece of hypocrisy' that the Camino has become.

Sad news indeed, but Thanks for all you have done for us pilgrims, David, and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ow my god....

I wish I hadnt read this news today...

It's sad to see him go... I had amazing long conversations with David in two different caminos and I was happily wishing to see him there this next december...

But what really saddens me more is the reason listed:
'theatre piece of hypocrisy' that the camino has become....

That adds up with so many other issues that ( my humble opinion...) kind of kills the joyful path that the camino meant to me since the first time I stepped on it...

Everything is planned for my next camino next nov/dec but, this kind of thoughts kind of move my soul away from it... I have thought many times about cancelling this and consider it something Im done with... And now I just feel apprehensive and scared to walk it again...

Anyway... I don't want to move away from the main topic of this thread...

Let's hope David - a kind genuine soul - finds another path to shine...

And I'll hope my mind gets into it again...

Even trying not to create expectations... Its just hard....

Buen Camino David!!!!

The Camino has attracted such a broad range of people. It is easy to understand how the Camino today is not a spiritual or religious experience, but something else entirely, for many. The Camino welcomes all who are interested in walking along her many paths. Though there are some who do not follow in the pilgrim's path, I still think that the backbone and its permanent structure is both spiritual and religious. Certainly there will be times when the secular objectives (for lack of a better term), overwhelm the individual pilgrim and obviously those who serve pilgrims.

It is unfortunate when this type of thing happens, but I expect we will see more of it as the Camino grows and continues to attract those who walk for neither spiritual or religious purposes. However, the cycle will pass and the Camino will return to a less traveled pilgrimage.

For me I continue to welcome all that come while holding to my personal objectives and memories of a Camino that has been walked for over a thousand years. I will walk among those millions of pilgrims who have walked before me always.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder if those who respond to posts about the Camino Fances no longer being what it was will also write that David should dig deep, not judge, let other walks their way. If David's had enough it says a lot to me. As Michael B says, this may be a cycle and the Frances will retun to a more glorious past, but let's hope it does so before all those who,gave the Camino its sense of community and pilgrimage rather than yet another holiday will not all bail out first.

I wonder if those who respond to posts about the Camino Fances no longer being what it was will also write that David should dig deep, not judge, let other walks their way. If David's had enough it says a lot to me. As Michael B says, this may be a cycle and the Frances will retun to a more glorious past, but let's hope it does so before all those who,gave the Camino its sense of community and pilgrimage rather than yet another holiday will not all bail out first.

Exactly....

Well said!

How sad that future pilgrims will not meet this true camino angel. Is there some way to send David messages of thanks and gratitude and wish him well on his journey of life? The link seems to indicate he has become discouraged and disillusioned. He should be told that his mission of kindness has been much appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How sad that future pilgrims will not meet this true camino angel. Is there some way to send David messages of thanks and gratitude and wish him well on his journey of life? The link seems to indicate he has become discouraged and disillusioned. He should be told that his mission of kindness has been much appreciated.

I'd like very much to send my love and thanks to david as well...

Ah ... that is a bit of a shame .... (thinks: hope it wasn't me presenting him with one of my home-made staffs this year that brought this about :().
I had a similar feeling when I went to do first aid this Spring .. so much so that I left and came back home, thinking "never again"... though ... the feeling sort of passed and I returned in the summer.

I suppose that his seven year penance is ended now, for I always thought that he was making penance for his previous life ... then last year he met the wonderful Suzy, and she moved in .... some good healing there I think. I wish them well.

Lovely spot, before dropping down the hill and on towards Astorga ... hmmm .... could make a pretty good venue for a first aid post ........ ;)

David completely ignored me when I went through there last fall. I think that my offer to leave a donation for food items that he had on offer offended his sense of our roles. But it was raining and chilly and he had a tent and a stove set up, so I was grateful for the chance to get warm and dry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never met the man personally. I have only heard of him by reputation. My initial reaction is to be grateful for what he has given rather than critical of his reasons for moving on. As someone currently walking the Camino Frances for the third time - 26 years after my first and 14 years after my second experience - I too am finding it very difficult at times to reconcile myself to the enormous changes which have taken place in a pilgrim route which has been in my heart and mind for almost half my life.

David may be one of the most "famous" Camino personalities to voice this opinion, but he is surely not alone. It is sad but probably inevitable. I know that there are still many people who have magical, special caminos on the Camino Francés. That point is evident from some of the recent threads. And just yesterday, I was on a travel forum that I go to for help on my non-Camino travel, and there was a thread written by someone who had had a glorious luxurious pampered Camino with a tour guide. She was every bit as ecstatic and gushy as any of us who walk the Camino in a different way. Parts of her posts were almost like caricatures (talking about all the creature comforts), but parts were rave reviews about the Camino and its magic. A wake up call for me, and left me with no doubt that our choice is to stick with the Camino and figure out how to adjust to the changes, or do what David did and leave it. Luckily for us, "leaving it" only means that you have to turn your attention to the multitude of incredible Caminos in Spain just begging to be walked.

Luckily for us, "leaving it" only means that you have to turn your attention to the multitude of incredible Caminos in Spain just begging to be walked.

And which will be the next route to be seized upon? I can see the tour company adverts now - "Walk (bits of) the 'Way less travelled', encounter gob-smacked locals, tearful pilgrims and hoteliers who haven't seen a coach in years...."

Nah; shut up you grumpy Tinker. Offer up your thanks for David's kindnesses, wish him well for his new paths. Smile, because @peregrina2000 is right. And, get the maps out - there are many roads to Santiago and even more to Grace.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
David completely ignored me when I went through there last fall. I think that my offer to leave a donation for food items that he had on offer offended his sense of our roles. But it was raining and chilly and he had a tent and a stove set up, so I was grateful for the chance to get warm and dry.
@Albertagirl, something moves me to say this, and I say it in all sincerity. Firstly, I'm sorry that you had this less than ideal interaction with David. But I can't help but think of the wonderful opportunity you have had to see someone - someone whom so many of us think very kindly of, and admire - possibly not at his best, and to have the opportunity now to 'forgive him his trespasses,' if indeed there is anything to forgive. Would that all of us could be forgiven our transgressions (trespasses). :):)

Ecclesiastes 3, 1-8
1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace....

We were there this past May. We left a donation for the food and juice (there was a cup for donations - why would he be offended?) We did not get a chance to talk with him - he was busy building a roof/shelter onto the back wall. It really looked like he was expanding and building something more permanent.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I doubt that Davis reads this forum, but if he does...Adios, David. Thanks for being a part of my Camino experience, and I wish you well in whatever and wherever the spirit leads you.

Sad news indeed. I had a good chat with him last May followed by a hug :) He seemed to like my compliment of his garden!
He will be missed, but I wish him well in what he wants to do in future.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks SYates for posting this thread and for sharing the news of the closure of Casa de Los Dioses.

This is certainly sad news for all the future pilgrims who won't have the privilege of meeting David, as most of us contributing to this thread have.

I think the life that David (and more recently Suzy) had at Casa de Los Dioses would be tough in the long term. I've read several articles about David on the net over the last few years and as far as I know he didn't have a car and he relied on the help from the local villagers with shopping, or he walked quite some distance to the shops, laden with heavy shopping on the return journey. I also understand that there was no water or power connected to the property, though I could be wrong here. The thought of continuing with this life in the long term might have contributed to their decision to leave - one reason in amongst a myriad of reasons - most particularly his/their wish to be no longer a part of the theatre piece of hyprocisy that the Camino has become for him/them.

I met David in 2012 and meeting him was a highlight of my camino. When I said goodbye we gave each other one of those really strong hugs that are so wonderful and he said "Have a happy life". That sentiment has stayed with me ever since.

I say to David and to Suzy "Have a happy life". I wish them both joy on their new path.

Buen Life Camino David and Suzy -

Cheers - Jenny

[Troll in]
the Frances will return to a more glorious past
Let's hope not the one past when it was meant for Camino Frances' "pilgrims" to slice Moors around... :confused:
[Troll out]
:D... ok, bad joke... I'm out...

full

Very sad news... :(
7 years to serve thousands of pilgrims... MUCHISSIMAS GRACIAS David!
May your heart and soul guide your steps to a more authentic Camino! :)
May we all keep the Spirit of the Camino alive...

full

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was only a matter of time. Good for David! He hears another call! Let that set an example that we don't have to stay where we are for ANY reason! The Way is what it has always been and it will find it's own equalibrium. I am happy for him! Only God knows what is in store for David. I wish him all the best...
Ultreia!!!

And which will be the next route to be seized upon? I can see the tour company adverts now - "Walk (bits of) the 'Way less travelled', encounter gob-smacked locals, tearful pilgrims and hoteliers who haven't seen a coach in years...."

Nah; shut up you grumpy Tinker. Offer up your thanks for David's kindnesses, wish him well for his new paths. Smile, because @peregrina2000 is right. And, get the maps out - there are many roads to Santiago and even more to Grace.

Yeah, ya grumpy tinker.....
Signed,
The Curmudgeon.

During a torrential rain last May, there was a man standing in what became a river, helping pilgrims cross safely on some boards that he placed on some rocks. I didn't know who he was until I was safely helped across. Then I recognized David, we talked for awhile and he told me about his girlfriend Suzy and invited me to stop and meet her. A few moments later some more Pilgrims came along and David hugged me and then jumped back into the river to help them.

I went to the top of the hill and met Suzy. She was making tea for those who took advantage of the warming tent that they set up. It was a loving experience that I will never forget. I even got a beautiful sello for my Passport. Now a collectors item, I guess.

Our other David (First aid angel) suggested earlier on this post that this might make a good place for a first aid station. One angel stepping in for another angel sounds like a great idea to me.

David and Suzy will be missed. Especially on those rainy days down by the river.

Buen Camino David and Suzy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This "the Camino isn't how it used to be" - David saw it as hypocrisy and left .. but I wonder ... is it us or is it them .. as in, is it us being nostalgic for an ever rosier past or has the Camino really become less than it was? (or different to what it was).

We seem to get some pretty good posts on here from members who have just completed their first Camino .. they seem to have had the same experiences that we had some years ago ... surely the Camino is still the Camino? And, just a thought, when did the Camino as pilgrimage become a returning thing? Wasn't it once that one did it just once?
Yes, it certainly has changed .. so many more people ... seems like most seem to wear the most expensive trekking clothing and packs ..... but those 'moments' must surely still be there? Those connections, places for tears, places for laughter .. the gift of giving, the much harder gift of receiving??

So - maybe David just came to the end of being able to give all the time, became weary of the repetition?

Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be you know :)

2006-03-10 Zen-masters.gif

There's a page on Facebook for La Casa de los Dioses : https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Casa-De-Los-Dioses/185670194898764

David mentioned Facebook to me ages ago so I think if you post messages there he'll probably see them.

I'm sorry to see David go. I met him three times and each time he tried to have time for everybody who wanted to talk. I can imagine that after seven years he must be pretty burned out.

We seem to get some pretty good posts on here from members who have just completed their first Camino .. they seem to have had the same experiences that we had some years ago ... surely the Camino is still the Camino?

Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be you know :)

One small example... Walking to Cee, I already mentioned that the camino has changed, physically: the narrow, rocky path has now been widened and covered in gravel. I was inwardly complaining 'why did they have to do this? Well now it is wrecked! Bla bla' :oops:
In Cee I met a young pilgrim who was just arriving and she enthused: 'wasn't it WONDERFUL?'
No complaints from her, it was her first Camino and she found everything beautiful and magic :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so sorry to hear this. I did not meet David in May 2014 but stopped at his very welcoming shelter. He was away and a friend was filling in. I can't tell you how welcomed that warm stove and hot drink were on a very bright but windy and cold day.
I wish him and Suzy all the very best and who knows, someone may decide this lovely refuge is their calling.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
When I walked past his stand I stopped to crowd-watch for a few minutes and get a sello. I thanked him and though I didn't take a drink I left a small donation (in the spirit of sharing the cost of the pilgrim who needed refreshments but couldn't spare much)--I wasn't hungry or thirsty at the time but it was a nice little break. The next morning, I was hungry, but the bar where I stopped wasn't serving food yet. It was early and no others were there...I thanked her for my coffee and sat looking at my guidebook and flipping though my passport remembering where I'd been. The barista walked over and looked over the bar at my passport and exclaimed "oh, David's place! He is such a good man." I agreed, and as we chatted about his kindness and service to others, she excused herself and came back with the tortilla I'd been seeking. So in a way he fed me, too, when I needed it.

It is what it is, n'est pas? Life is change, full of changes; even Miguel who owns Casa Magica in Villatuerta wants to "move on." I am certain from surveying the terrain along and around the CF, the path has moved many times from the left to right over the past century. Once upon a time it must have been the same route as the N-120 before automobiles usurped the way this century.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, I know I started this thread, but I don't know the answer: Does anybody know what happens to that place now? Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Ok, I know I started this thread, but I don't know the answer: Does anybody know what happens to that place now? Buen Camino de la Vida, SY
I don't know...I think I recall reading a couple of years ago that the farm was owned by an acquaintance and David had raised about half of the 30,000 needed to buy it...but my memory is bad and my Spanish worse

€83,-
... And, just a thought, when did the Camino as pilgrimage become a returning thing? Wasn't it once that one did it just once?...

Guilty as charged! Yes, you are absolutely correct - but still there is something that calls me back ... SY

is it us being nostalgic for an ever rosier past or has the Camino really become less than it was? ...
surely the Camino is still the Camino ...
when did the Camino as pilgrimage become a returning thing? Wasn't it once that one did it just once?
That's a very good point, and food for thought for us returnees. Maybe we are the ones "taking advantage" of the camino!

Thanks everyone to help me think further... All the following post is IMHO ;)

The Camino is a changing thing in itself...
It's had many designs, many purposes and many faces through time... I often think of it as a reflection of societies through History. The nowadays Camino has nothing to do with what it was 5, 10 , 50 or 100 years ago. And before that, the Camino as we understand it today just simply didn't exist... And I won't even talk about the pre-15th century "Camino", as it is so mixed up with legends and so far from our modern conception of the Way that it's a true headache to think about!

Still, today, the Camino is the Camino, but our perceptions of it and our expectations toward it do change through time. I believe the Camino only reflects that fact and, as things change faster nowadays, we returnees do see a change in the features of the Camino... whether in good or bad, whether we like it or not! We are nostalgic, but the Camino just is.

I now think it's quite irrelevant to compare the Now-Way to the Before-Way in the hope to make sense of it. It helps to understand how things came up and changed, but that's about it: to have a slight grasp at what happens, we need to think at a bigger scale.
Today, many worry about the mercantile/capitalist/touristic aspect of the Camino. But isn't it the perfect reflect of the way our society works today? Just like the 12th c. "Camino" reflected the pro-Reconquista propaganda or like the 1940s rebirth of the Compostelan tradition under Franco reflected his ambition to reconnect with Spain "glorious" past. Most obviously don't like what is going on now, but aren't we all a bit responsible of it, as members of the pilgrim community in a whole?
Then at the same time, we have opportunities today that are unprecedented in History (popularized freedom and rights, transportation, means, etc.) as well as a great thirst for spirituality. This is also reflected on the Camino: we are a lot coming to walk it, we are a lot to seek "something" there, we do return on the Way, we do enjoy it several time if we please, we do experiment/share/like the spiritual dimension it offers today...

When I stop to consider it, I think that nowadays Camino is actually amazing. It's a living testimony of our search of a "spiritual something" as well as an opportunity to face our flows, as a society. It's attracting many kind of people, who are either open to "something else" or pressing "normal ways". It shows us to what point we like and stand for nowadays ways. It's offering a chance to increase awareness and to do it in a cooperative way. It's pointing out what doesn't work for humanity and what we could become tomorrow.
David's story is a perfect part and example of this... From before he arrived on the Way to after he left it, he reflected through himself and his time on the Camino the story of our time.
Can we take advantage of the best aspects of our societies and ourselves? Yes, I believe we can and should. Can we cry over a "better" Before and blame the dark sides of our societies and ourselves? Yes, I believe we can... but shouldn't! We are all Davids and Suzys. We all have a part to play. We all contribute to Now right now. We can all make Tomorrow a place we love... or a place we want to leave.

Just some thoughts... ;) Thanks again everyone to help me think further :)
Buen Camino!

full

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I, too, have enjoyed David's hospitality during recent years at his special place known as the Casa de los Dioses on the alternative path after Villares de Orbigo but before Santibañez de Valdeiglesias just before the Cross of Santo Toribio.

David Vidal always took GREAT care to help passing pilgrims. You could rest in the huge barn or simply enjoy his wonderful donativo goody shelf. Once during a heavy rain although David was absent the thermos of coffee was hot and the cookies most delicious! His multilingual note read 'Welcome!'. After sitting sheltered, having a coffee and eating a cookie or two I left a donation and a brief note of thanks. Despite the cold rain this was a MOST welcome stop and a perfect example of yet another of the varied and generous caring alternatives available along the camino.... To each his own.

To read more in English about this special man and his special place see this Swedish pilgrim's earlier posts. >>

http://www.fyrfalkcamino.se/english/?page_id=132

http://www.fyrfalkcamino.se/english/?p=236

Wherever David may now go and whatever he may do may he find happiness.

Last edited:
Seems David and Suzy are leaving the Casa de los Dioses, see http://www.radiocaminodesantiago.co...uros-del-camino-de-santiago-va-a-desaparecer/

Summary:

After 7 years of service to pilgrims David says Good Bye to the Casa de los Dioses 2km before San Justo de la Vega. He is tired living in the 'theatre piece of hypocrisy' that the Camino has become.

Sad news indeed, but Thanks for all you have done for us pilgrims, David, and Buen Camino de la Vida, SY
When I met David in 2011 I truely thought that I had met an angel. I was so overcome by his hug as I left him that I was unable to speak. Years after I still thought of him and wondered if he really existed. It's only through posts like this have I learned that indeed David existed, not only in my imagination. But David is a true Angel . David, and Suzy who I never met, may you also meet your angels.

The Camino has attracted such a broad range of people. It is easy to understand how the Camino today is not a spiritual or religious experience, but something else entirely, for many. The Camino welcomes all who are interested in walking along her many paths. Though there are some who do not follow in the pilgrim's path, I still think that the backbone and its permanent structure is both spiritual and religious. Certainly there will be times when the secular objectives (for lack of a better term), overwhelm the individual pilgrim and obviously those who serve pilgrims.

It is unfortunate when this type of thing happens, but I expect we will see more of it as the Camino grows and continues to attract those who walk for neither spiritual or religious purposes. However, the cycle will pass and the Camino will return to a less traveled pilgrimage.

For me I continue to welcome all that come while holding to my personal objectives and memories of a Camino that has been walked for over a thousands years. I will walk among those millions of pilgrims who have walked before me always.

I can understand the feeling of 'theatre piece of hypocrisy', and it does downhearted me during my caminos but I dont know why I am always back, like my next year plan to go from Rome and in my mind pick up on the way, the regards of Saint Peter and release them to Saint James ( how foolish I can be ! )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Tincatinker,
I think you are right on. I am in Texas and now the El Camino trips are starting to form, " Walk the Camino on your way to Paris"... some of the trips offer from O'cebreiro to Santiago, with a night in a Monastery....I think as human beings we tend to destroy things. Thankfully, with time, things things returned to its original form.
I feel thankful I was able to do the Frances when still was El Camino Frances, it was truly an incredible experience.
I am going to walk for 2 weeks in November a part of the Frances with a good friend that just retired(an Spaniard friend that walked the Frances with me in 2013).
Let's see how it goes.

Remember to celebrate your caminos, the wonderful friends we have made, the memories that will ALWAYS be with us.

Buen Camino,

Texasguy

Summary:

That's such a shame. It was such an energy boost when I saw them last month. I was flagging in the heat and Suzy gave me one of their fruit drinks with loads of ice.

On the trudge into Astorga I was feeling guilt about not having donated more than €5 when a car pulled up alongside me and one of the two men showed me a complete credential. Her pointed to the red heart and asked if I knew where it was. I said I'd passed it 4km back. They said thanks and turned the car around and I resolved, in my plan to do a Camino Touregrino (air conditioned car, electric cooler box in the back . . . ), to come back and give more next time. I wonder if anybody will take it on?

In any case thank you to them both for seven years of kindness.

Hi again everyone!
Camino de Santiago Radio interviewed David on his decision to leave la Casa. A very interesting video... in Spanish!
I decided to translate it in English the best way I could and posted it on my blog.
A fresh look on David's choice...

full

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, and now seriously, anybody has some contact details for David? I might have some ideas about somebody that might be able to take over La Casa en su sentido ... SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A Camino friend from Australia, Tony, who coordinates the Blue Mountains Camino Support Group in NSW, is on the Camino at the moment. He visited David last Sunday, 9 October. Tony reported that, sadly, David and Suzy are splitting up. The timing of the closure of Casa de Los Dioses is in a couple of months. There'll be new paths for them both.

May the loving Universe look after them both always, keep them safe, healthy and happy. May they both live in peace.

Is it me or does it feel odd discussing someone's intimate life on a public forum? Granted David has videotaped a very personal messagage himself, so some will argue that he himself is putting his life out in the open, but I do not feel comfortable with this at all.

Is it me or does it feel odd discussing someone's intimate life on a public forum? Granted David has videotaped a very personal messagage himself, so some will argue that he himself is putting his life out in the open, but I do not feel comfortable with this at all.
Hi Anemone del Camino -
I'm sorry that my post has made you feel uncomfortable. I didn't see that the sharing of the news about David's and Suzy's breakup was the sharing of something intimate. My intention with the post was to inform Forum members of the news, knowing that everyone would want to wish them both well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Anemone del Camino -
I'm sorry that my post has made you feel uncomfortable. I didn't see that the sharing of the news about David's and Suzy's breakup was the sharing of something intimate. My intention with the post was to inform Forum members of the news, knowing that everyone would want to wish them both well.
Hello Jennie,

Since neither David of Suzy are forum members I don't know how a forum of thousands of members, many who have never walked a Camino let alone passed by Casa de Dios or met David and or Suzie can be an appropriate vehicle to wish them well.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to have third parties, strangers, be made aware of a breakup that is none of their concern nor affects them in any way. Would you like strangers recognising you on the street say how sorry they are you have split from someone?

David has mentioned being fed up with Camino hypocresy. I wonder if strangers discussing his intimate life would not fall into that. I'm sure those who matter to David have been informed and have had a chance to say what they have to say to him.

Hello Jennie,

Since neither David of Suzy are forum members I don't know how a forum of thousands of members, many who have never walked a Camino let alone passed by Casa de Dios or met David and or Suzie can be an appropriate vehicle to wish them well.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to have third parties, strangers, be made aware of a breakup that is none of their concern nor affects them in any way. Would you like strangers recognising you on the street say how sorry they are you have split from someone?

David has mentioned being fed up with Camino hypocresy. I wonder if strangers discussing his intimate life would not fall into that. I'm sure those who matter to David have been informed and have had a chance to say what they have to say to him.
Hi Anenome -
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm sorry that my earlier post made you uncomfortable. My post came from a place of goodwill - only that - and while I respect your opinion, I do not feel that it was inappropriate to share the news with Forum members.

OK, I think this thread has run its course. Anyone who has a particular reason to re-open it can send me a PM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back