A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Casa Fernanda to Spiritual Variant Path

dreaminggypsy

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2020
Best way to get to Spiritual Variant Path from Casa Fernanda on Central Route? I think, from what I have read, the best way to get from the Coastal Route to Casa Fernanda is turn at Vila do Conde and head to Barcelos. Once we go the Central Route to Casa Fernanda-we want to be able to get to the Spiritual Variant Path. Thank you for any tips. I know Alberthino said:

"From Fernanda's we jumped over to the coastal
Ask Fernanda's husband Jacinto how to get from them to the bus in Balugães of the railwaystation in Baroselas (that is another place than Barcelos ! Is is not a typo !) "

Just wanting to know if anyone else had tried something different or if the bus in Balugaes is best.

Thanks so much. Tammi (Walking Camino Portugues in April)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi Tammi! Just to clarify, the Coastal route and the Spiritual route are not the same thing.

You can start in the coastal if you want, go inland towards Fernanda and just keep walking the Central route until you reach th3 start of the spiritual variant. That is located near Pontevedra.

If you check Camino Portugues on the gronze website, you'll find very useful info :)

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Best way to get to Spiritual Variant Path from Casa Fernanda on Central Route? I think, from what I have read, the best way to get from the Coastal Route to Casa Fernanda is turn at Vila do Conde and head to Barcelos. Once we go the Central Route to Casa Fernanda-we want to be able to get to the Spiritual Variant Path. Thank you for any tips. I know Alberthino said:

"From Fernanda's we jumped over to the coastal
Ask Fernanda's husband Jacinto how to get from them to the bus in Balugães of the railwaystation in Baroselas (that is another place than Barcelos ! Is is not a typo !) "

Just wanting to know if anyone else had tried something different or if the bus in Balugaes is best.

Thanks so much. Tammi (Walking Camino Portugues in April)
It depends how long you want to follow the coast.
I did it several times by walking from Porto to Viana do Castello and then took public transport (the bus ) to Balugães and walked the last 3 kms to Fernanda.
Also walked from Porto to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos to Fernanda-the central caminho and took the train from Barosellos (Fernanda's husband took me there by car) and took the train to Viana do Castelo and continued from there on the Coastal caminho
Either from the coastal or the central caminho the distance to the northern outskirts of Pontevedra where the Variante Espiritual starts , counted from casa da Fernanda is about 100 kms

Last edited:

dreaminggypsy

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2020
I did it several times by walking from Porto to Viana do Castello and then took public transport (the bus ) to Balugães and walked the last 3 kms to Fernanda.
Also walked from Porto to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos to Fernanda-the central caminho and took the train from Barosellos (Fernanda's husband took me there by car) and took the train to Viana do Castelo and continued from there on the Coastal caminho
Either from the coastal or the central caminho the distance to the northern outskirts of Pontevedra where the Variante Espiritual starts , counted from casa da Fernanda is about 100 kms
I would love to know, Albertinho, which route you preferred to Casa Fernanda--Porto to Viana do Castello to Balugaes vis bus OR straight walk from Porto to Sao Pedro de Rates - Barcelos - to Fernanda's?

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I would love to know, Albertinho, which route you preferred to Casa Fernanda--Porto to Viana do Castello to Balugaes vis bus OR straight walk from Porto to Sao Pedro de Rates - Barcelos - to Fernanda's?
The third option (Porto to Vila do Conde along the Senda Litoral, and then Vila do Conde to Rates to Barcelos to Fernanda's) is also very nice. You get the nice walk out of Porto along the river and the coast and a taste of the seaside with its boardwalks. But you still get the nice albergue in Sao Pedro de Rates (one of the oldest in Portugal) and the nice town of Barcelos (home of the famous rooster) on your way to Fernanda's. I can't compare it to the other two, though, because it is the only route I have taken - so far.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
My favorite is the Coastal
Porto Matosinhos, Angeiras , Vila do Conde or Póvoa de Varzim, Esposende -Chafé , Viana do Castelo, Vila Praia de Âncora, Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho.

On this vid you can see the trip along the coast to Fernanda and on to Valença do Minho last year.

The first frame shows Jacinto, Fernanda's husband
Bom caminho

Last edited:

dreaminggypsy

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2020
Albertinho-Would you be able to make a reservation for my husband and myself for the 15th of April? We would like a double bed..or a room with two twins. Thank you. Tammi and Dave Clancy

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
I reserved beds by email - fast and easy process!

dreaminggypsy

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2020
Thanks, I am giving email a try. Having issues with Whatsapp...I had to invite them? So, we will see if they respond to either my email or my whatsapp invite.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock