• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Casa Fernanda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stayed there in Oct 2021! Still fabulous, still a bargain at 20€! It’s a donativo in that she will welcome you in for a drink/snack, provide you with an outside bed or cot if all the regular ones are full, let you rest even just for a few minutes, and basically show you the hospitality heart of the Camino. She won’t demand you pay (donativo) for these kindnesses, but you really should. When paying, she had me put the money in a box (unobserved), so if you didn’t give 20€ she wouldn’t know….so you really should give more!

In truth, the stay was easily worth 40€ to 50€ - wine, appetizers, dinner, more wine, “fire water”, singing, breakfast, real sheets….

at Casa Fernanda you are expected to pay 20€ for an evening meal with drinks, a bed and a breakfast.

I have been hospitaleiro there for some times .
in the old days Fernanda had a carton of a whiskybottle in which her guests could put ( ( by then) the donation.
unfortunately not everybody was honest and instead of putting the money in , somebody took the money out . Not the real peregrino spirit.
So my wife and I bought a metal letterbox for Fernanda with a lock and a key .
We got rid of the whisky carton .

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed with Fernanda and her family (and all of her awesome animals!) in late September 2021. It lived up to all of our high expectations. It is 20 euro/person, and beyond worth that. I know some put more than that into the box. It is amazing to us that she does this nearly every night and makes people feel warmly welcomed and somehow "special" for staying with her. We'd stay again in a heartbeat!

For all new pilgrims: donativo does not mean “free-ativo” or “gratis-ativo”. Donate what you can and what you fee the experience was worth. Then add a few more euros to compensate for the next pilgrim who may not have the resources you do.

Donativos have ongoing costs - lights, water, sewer, gas, taxes, maintenance - even when they are underwritten by a church or a municipality. Support them so that they can support others less fortunate in the future.

We stayed at Casa de Fernanda in 2017. My favorite stay on the Caminho. Halfway between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Fernanda has one private room. It can be reserved, but you need to call her (she rarely gets on the computer). Her English is excellent and it’s easy to make a reservation at her house. We had feasts for both dinner and breakfast. The bacalhau was some of the best I’ve ever had. Lemon marmalade in the morning was to die for. On the rainy afternoon we arrived, we say in the covered garden area enjoying cod bites she fried for us along with hot wine. A place not to miss. More than worth a €20/person contribution.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hello! i'm seeing mixed information on older threads, can anyone tell me whether casa fernanda is a donativo or costs 20 euros? has anyone stayed there recently? thank you!
We stayed at Fernanda’s September 2021. It was the highlight of our walk. Made several friends from that stay, including a person who was just passing through, not staying the night. As others have said, all are welcome to rest, shower, eat and have a drink even if they aren’t staying the night. Fernanda is one if the most gracious, generous people I’ve ever met. She doesn’t just provide a place to eat and sleep, she fusses over you like a mother hen. She seems so genuinely concerned about your health and comfort. The space she creates to refuel and connect with fellow pilgrims is like an oasis. We had read online in posts here and elsewhere that 20 euros was recommended. We never heard anyone mention a price while there. We had to ask other pilgrims how we could pay. We were told that one person tried to pay Fernanda directly and she wouldn’t take the money. There is a discrete box on the kitchen counter where you can place the amount you choose to pay. Honestly I don’t know how she offers what she offers for 20 euros. She’s amazing!

hello! i'm seeing mixed information on older threads, can anyone tell me whether casa fernanda is a donativo or costs 20 euros? has anyone stayed there recently? thank you!
I stayed there a couple of years ago. The best albergue I have ever stayed in. Huge evening meal with wine. Communal sing-song and story telling before bed and large breakfast with more wine next morning. Because I don’t drink alcoholic drinks, I was given a bag of apples as I was leaving in the morning. After all this was provide for a donativo, I noticed that quite a few people were donating €5!!! I thought that it was very mean of them, so I put €20 in the donation box and considered that I had paid just a fraction of what I would be charged in a hotel for the same amount of food, entertainment etc.
As I said previously; one of the best albergues that I ever stayed in and in real relaxing surroundings with fantastic hosts.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A great hostess for sure! I heard that John Brierley donated money to build one of the washrooms on the premises.
John B likes to sleep outside on the verandah, under the stars. And did you know there's a couple's room? next to the big bedroom....what a great albergue! Wonderful experience for me in May 2019. Book at least 2/3 days ahead!
Love

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
John B likes to sleep outside on the verandah, under the stars. And did you know there's a couple's room? next to the big bedroom....what a great albergue! Wonderful experience for me in May 2019. Book at least 2/3 days ahead!
Love
We reserved the couples room in September. It even comes with a private bathroom including a shower. Felt a little embarrassed to have such prime accommodations. But it’s all great there. Heard no complaints from anyone.

Back