• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Marcelo restaurant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

After a day of wandering and grazing, I come to Santiago's showcase restaurant, Casa Marcelo, where traditional Galician foods are presented with modern touches. Just a few steps from the main cathedral, Marcelo is the city's only restaurant with a Michelin star. In a starched atmosphere, my five-course dinner begins with shrimp wrapped in wakame in a tuna and vegetable soup. The soup is made in an Italian coffee pot and served in a wine glass, with the raw shrimp placed into the soup at the table to cook.

In keeping with Galicia's love for seafood - the nearby port town of Vigo is one of the largest and most important fishing ports in the world - the menu is ruled by the sea and best washed down with a glass of albarinho. The grapes of this Galician wine are infused with the saltiness of the coastal air. It's regarded in Spain as the perfect seafood accompaniment.

At meal's end comes Casa Marcelo's coup de grace: a cup cake-size tarta de Santiago that's cooked only until the outside crust sets, leaving a doughy centre. As I finish this sweet symbol of Santiago, icing-sugar dust still hanging in the air, one thing seems clear: this city famed for its saint might equally be known for its sustenance.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/walk-pray- ... z1tvgVjPTy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After a day of wandering and grazing at The Parador (three gourmet dinners, three times a day, free to the first 10 pilgrims to front up with a credencial) , I come to Santiago's showcase restaurant for the homeless, The Econo Kitchen, where traditional Galician foods are presented with a kindly, compassionate touch. Just a few steps from the main cathedral –up the hill and around the corner, The Econo Kitchen is the city's only restaurant blessed by Lovingkindness and all the Saints and angels in Heaven. In an unwashed atmosphere, my three-course dinner, (all for 80 cents plus extras), begins with spicy lentils and chorizo cooked into a hearty soup. The soup is made in a gigantic aluminium pot and ladled into sturdy railway station china, with fine white bread dunked into the soup at table….

Read more: http://www.caritas-santiago.org/personas-sin-hogar/

I am trying to get my mind around this; Pilgrims should take a meal intended for the homeless at their shelter in Santiago? I like saving a Euro as much as the next guy, but I am having a hard time with saving money this way. Is there something further that would encourage me to take the nearly free meal instead of, say, Casa Manolo at 9 Euro?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
‘I have never been normal’ he said, crying. ‘When my mother died I tried to hang myself so they locked me up for a while in an institute. There is no one to look after me now so I walk the caminos. Everyone treats me well. I am happy doing this. ’ – Peregrino from Poland.

‘I walked all the way from Leipzig.’ His eyes are shining. ‘Here’s my credencial, see this stamp? These people took me into their home and looked after me. ’ He looks vulnerable. There are tears in his eyes. He reeks of alcohol and body odour. Every few minutes he jumps up and starts begging for cigarettes and change. –Peregrino from Germany.

‘I can’t go home. I don’t have any money. Perhaps a friend will send me some…’ Peregrina from Germany, Mother of 5, aged 65.

‘ I was in the merchant navy once, married with six kids. Now I’m divorced and homeless. I’ve been walking and working along the caminos for 36 years ‘ – Peregrino from South Africa, aged 70.

‘We live out of a dumpster back home. Our apartment backs onto a supermarket. Huge amounts of food is discarded every day. There are others doing this too.’ –Peregrinos from Hungary.

I agree with Falcon on this. The nearly free Cocina Economica is provided for the poor and destitute not for pilgrims generally. Many restaurants in Santiago, in addition to the Menu del Dia are now offering 2 courses plus a drink and bread for 5 - 6 euros. However when pilgrims arriving report they have absolutely no resources we do refer them to the Franciscans for temporary shelter and the Cocina Economica for food. Let´s not abuse this people!

I also have to agree... the free Cocina Economica is for those with no resources (and in Spain today there are more each day). The free Cocina Economica has been the victims of recent cutbacks + they are receiving more people every day.

As a tip for hungry pilgrims on a budget... try to walk down to the new part of town, you can find great deal around lunchtime... just look for the boards on the sidewalk with prices for lunch.

Comarca 54 is one example (although located on the edge of old town).

Saludos,
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there some way in which homeless peregrinos and those in dire straits can be aided without draining the resources of the Econo Kitchen and those of the Franciscan brothers?

La Paz

Ps, my intention here is to highlight the plight of peregrinos in dire need, not to invite those with money in their pockets to a free dinner. Perhaps a donations box for the Econo Kitchen and Franciscans Shelter could be set up in the Pilgrims Office or somewhere else where peregrinos congregate and vouchers given to those in need.

the poor will always be with us - Jesus

pps, Falcon, Johnny Walker and Ivar. I appologise for sabotaging this thread. I acted on impulse......and it backfired. It has caused you alarm and I am sorry.
-Lovingkindness

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back on track :) Reading the article certainly encourages a newbie to allow extra time after arriving in Santiago to experience the cuisine it has to offer !

...how about I delete everything I wrote and you delete everything written in reply then we can leave Falcon and Mmc_56 to eat their €85 dinner in peace.....if someone else out there feels so inclined, they might like to set up a Topic entitled 'Poverty on the Camino' or something like that.....?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.