• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Casa Navarro in O Cebreiro or Linar do Rei in Linares?

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Your opinions please! I am putting together an itinerary for my non-walking husband and me to walk a few days together in July next year. I am so excited that he wants to do this with me, so I want to get it “right”.

By “non-walking” I mean that he enjoys a day-hike in the countryside occasionally, but not day after day like I do. He’s tried albergues and they are definitely not his thing, and would rather have the comfort of a private room, but we are always on a budget, so we have to consider the cost.

So, to get to the point, I can book a room in Herrerias for one night on the itinerary, and we walk up to O’Cebreiro next morning. But should we stay at Casa Navarro, or walk on to Linar do Rei?

He is over 70 but fit (fitter than me!), so the climb won’t faze him (and we’ll go slowly and take our time anyway). The problem is, if we stay in O’Cebreiro it will be about 21kms the next day to Triacastela. If we stay in Linares it will be a more manageable 18kms.

I can picture him already on the 21km day moaning about this that and the other. I can also picture him at Linar do Rei, wondering why I had chosen this isolated place for an overnight stop (especially if the albergue is full of noisy pilgrims partying).

Which one would you opt for?

Another option might be to taxi half way and walk half way from O’Cebreiro. Any thoughts about that? Is there a bus we can catch anywhere along that section?

After Triacastela we’ll walk only 10kms the next day to Samos.
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Linares is fairly isolated. We stayed there last year as everything in O Cebreiro was booked out days ahead. (we don't use Albergues though.) In Linares we stayed at Casa Jaime. Rooms were OK. Quiet. Food very basic.

As you know the walk from there to Triacastela is largely a gentle downhill and not too arduous.... (just one short steep section as I recall prior to the Pilgrim Statue) I'm not sure the extra 3 kms from O Cebreiro would really make it that much harder. Gentle downhill too through the woods. And if you took your time there are lots of cafe stops along the way. Last cafe on the left as you leave Fonfria always has yummy homemade cakes! (and a lovely log fire)

If all else falls, taxi the last few kms.......

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your opinions please! I am putting together an itinerary for my non-walking husband and me to walk a few days together in July next year. I am so excited that he wants to do this with me, so I want to get it “right”.

By “non-walking” I mean that he enjoys a day-hike in the countryside occasionally, but not day after day like I do. He’s tried albergues and they are definitely not his thing, and would rather have the comfort of a private room, but we are always on a budget, so we have to consider the cost.

So, to get to the point, I can book a room in Herrerias for one night on the itinerary, and we walk up to O’Cebreiro next morning. But should we stay at Casa Navarro, or walk on to Linar do Rei?

He is over 70 but fit (fitter than me!), so the climb won’t faze him (and we’ll go slowly and take our time anyway). The problem is, if we stay in O’Cebreiro it will be about 21kms the next day to Triacastela. If we stay in Linares it will be a more manageable 18kms.

I can picture him already on the 21km day moaning about this that and the other. I can also picture him at Linar do Rei, wondering why I had chosen this isolated place for an overnight stop (especially if the albergue is full of noisy pilgrims partying).

Which one would you opt for?

Another option might be to taxi half way and walk half way from O’Cebreiro. Any thoughts about that? Is there a bus we can catch anywhere along that section?

After Triacastela we’ll walk only 10kms the next day to Samos.
Jill
I stayed in Linares, beautiful Albergue but no where to eat as the only restaurant was closed. If I had the choice again I'd stay in O'Cebriero.
Buen Camino

O'Cebreiro would get my vote. If you are wanting to showcase the experience, there is something magical about the village in the fog (if you get lucky). The inn/bar (to the right as you walk away from the church) has a fireplace, perfect on a cold wet evening.

You could taxi the next morning Liñares or to the pilgrim statue and walk from there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
O Cebreiro - there is much more of interest there, and the church - and as @Robo says, it's (mostly) downhill to Triacastella. (Admitting bias here, as I've never liked the 'feel' of Linares.)
Agree with everyone, and the 3 extra kilometers isn't really all that much to gain a better experience.

"""So, to get to the point, I can book a room in Herrerias for one night on the itinerary, and we walk up to O’Cebreiro next morning. But should we stay at Casa Navarro, or walk on to Linar do Rei?"""
STAY IN HERRERIAS, SEVERAL NICE PLACES TO STAY. I stayed in a hotel last time that was also an albergue.
THEN STAY IN OCEBREIRO. There is so much history there and lots of places to stay and eat. The church is not to be missed and actually open.
INSTEAD OF WALKING TO TRIACASTELA STAY IN FONFRIA. I love this place the owner Angela makes the best meal on the Camino and will even make a Quemada (maybe not spelled right) on request. The dinner is served in a round building with the straw looking pointed roof.- there's a name for it that escapes me. This option divides the trip to Samos into more equal length.
Buen Camino

€46,-
O'Cebreiro would get my vote. If you are wanting to showcase the experience, there is something magical about the village in the fog (if you get lucky). The inn/bar (to the right as you walk away from the church) has a fireplace, perfect on a cold wet evening.

You could taxi the next morning Liñares or to the pilgrim statue and walk from there.

And great food in the restaurant at the back! (Through the shop)

Many thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. O’Cebreiro it is . . . and booked!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.