• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cascade du Déroc

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi all,

When walking to Nasbinals, has anyone detoured to the Cascade du Déroc? It actually looks really easy to do, forking left soon after crossing the Le Bés river and following what appears to be a waymarked option leading to the waterfall and then onward to Nasbinals. Doesn't seem like it adds more than a kilometer and change to the day's walk. Seems awfully appealing for a July pilgrimage...

Thank you,
Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When walking to Nasbinals, has anyone detoured to the Cascade du Déroc
I haven't. However, when you are thinking of distance as being short, elevation climbs/descents should also enter your consideration. Consulting a topo map of the area might prevent a nasty surprise. The gite host for your preceding night should be able to advise you as well.

When walking to Nasbinals, has anyone detoured to the Cascade du Déroc?

I have looked at a IGN contoured map and it doesn't seem much of a problem - go for it. Wish I'd thought of it when I was that way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

When walking to Nasbinals, has anyone detoured to the Cascade du Déroc? It actually looks really easy to do, forking left soon after crossing the Le Bés river and following what appears to be a waymarked option leading to the waterfall and then onward to Nasbinals. Doesn't seem like it adds more than a kilometer and change to the day's walk. Seems awfully appealing for a July pilgrimage...

Thank you,
Dave

did it in 2016 and was very pleased with it. the waterfall is definitely worth the detour, although the path down to the bottom is a bit tricky to find. head for a stream valley to the left of the waterfall, there is a sort of a path scrambling down this little valley, then good paths branch off right towards the waterfall. another option (with less scrambling involved) is the path to the right of the waterfall. both options require a hop over/under/in between the wire fence to get to the top of the waterfall first. there is very little elevation, except the climb down/back up around the waterfall.
a local PR route is signed from the kiosk/cafe on the road west of the waterfall to nasbinals. beautiful.
definitely recommended.
see my wikiloc track: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2016-014-aumont-aubrac-nasbinals-16766711.

I also recommend a detour via GR 6 after aubrac village to st chély d'aubrac. beautiful paths, a fantastic roman road, and panoramas of the lot valley. you can follow GR 6 all the way to st chély d'aubrac, or do as I did and detour via a wonderful medieval tower/hall.
wikiloc track here: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2016-015-nasbinals-saint-chely-daubrac-16766880.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back