• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash on the Camino Frances

ShelleyW

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk mid Sept to end of Oct, 2018
Any issues obtaining Cash / Euros on the Camino?
Did you find ATM’s belonging to obscure networks vs “Plus, Star, Interlink, Money pass”.
Open to any advise on money matters while walking the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No problem getting cash with a Visa or Mastercard. ATMs in all towns and large villages. (If you are offered the choice to pay in your own currency - don't take it. It always costs more.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
NEVER had an issue finding ATMs most all were of the Plus, Star, etc. network. I did always use ATMs attached to actual banks( just incase, but never had a problem) i always had a back-up 100 euros for the stretches between larger cities.

Never had a problem on the Camino or elsewhere in Spain with ATMs. Sometimes, though, you end up paying a lot more in ATM charges than you might want. They do vary a bit. So if you happen to see a couple different ones and you try the first and don't like the price, cancel the transaction and try it's neighbor. Usually, the cost is 2 or 3 Euros plus whatever your bank at home will charge you. Not a killer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We ran out of money once, because we ASS-U-ME-d there would be a bank machine in the next town we were heading to, but there wasn't one. And of course, not realizing we could have taken a quick 10 minute taxi ride to find and ATM?! Lol. It's amazing how much bigger the world is, when travelling on foot. We did have enough for our bed and a meal, but no money for breakfast and coffee the next day, and the next town was at least 10kms away. As it turned out, we found a bar that took credit cards so we had breakfast and also bought two ponchos (the Camino always provides!!) as we were close to entering Galicia. We did learn a valuable lesson though, and that was to keep 100 euro tucked away at all times for emergency situations that I recommend doing.

Buen Camino!!

Never had any problem to find ATM. Only one thing to be careful is when you use the ATM of BANKIA. If you make any mistake to key in, ATM machine eat your card. During business hour, it is no problem, but after hour or weekend, you have to wait until bank is open or give up your card.

Just don't use the ATM machines inside where you need your bank card to enter. In Logrono I was trapped inside one because I couldn't open the door from the inside. With my friend outside rolling on the ground laughing there was no one to help me. After 5 minutes (my friend was getting help) some Spanish opened the door with their card from the outside. Not my finest moment..please learn from this ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked into Belorado realizing I had only 10 Euros. How did that happen! Fortunately, there was a bank at the far end of the Plaza Mayor. After this, I carried around 300 Euros in cash and used my Deutsche Bank debit card for hostals, pensions, and Santiago expenses. Albergues, of course, required cash.

Note for American pilgrims, sign up for a free Charles Schwab Bank account. Fund it with your money for the Camino. ATM fees are automatically refunded back to your account. I've had this card for years and have had hundreds of dollars refunded!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For Australians, same deal with ING Direct. As long as you use the account a certain number of times a month, you get all ATM fees refunded.

I, too, have this benefit from Schwab; I've just not used it since I work part of the year in Germany and am paid in Euros. Your point is a good one, Saranger.

Online access to views or transfer funds in/out make it very easy to use the Schwab card.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I discovered that my debit card only works on Plus ATM's. So, to add to all the good advice here, please make sure you know the types of ATM's you are allowed to use your card on, (found on the back of your card), and do not attempt to use it in an unfriendly ATM. You never know when those little machines will get hungry for another bit of plastic.

Note for American pilgrims, sign up for a free Charles Schwab Bank account. Fund it with your money for the Camino. ATM fees are automatically refunded back to your account. I've had this card for years and have had hundreds of dollars refunded!

This is probably a dumb question but, oh well. Do you have to have an investment account with Charles Schwab in order to have a checking account with them? Thanks!

Hi Rickyt. Short answer: no. I moved our investment accounts elsewhere years ago. I have had and continue to have a checking account with Schwab. I do not use the ATM benefit because (as I've reported in this forum) I'm paid in Euros and have a Euro denominated debit card. Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also USAA refunds fees and charges no transaction fees if you are lucky to qualify with current/prior military service or close relatives with same.

Hello- do you need to use this account several times a year in order for it to be free? Or have a minimum balance? Thx!

No minimum balance required or need to use it several times throughout the year. It’s a great product for travelers. ATM fees are refunded in the USA as well, so even if your travels don’t take you out of the country, you still have the ability for fee-free withdrawals at home.

Adding funds to the account are easy with their free transfer service.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back