• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash or credit card

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
Just a brief practical question. I will be on the Camino in the fall of 2017. I do not plan to carry too much cash on this trip. Should I be able to use my credit cards along the way? If not, how much of a minimum cash one should carry on a 4-5 trip?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just a brief practical question. I will be on the Camino in the fall of 2017. I do not plan to carry too much cash on this trip. Should I be able to use my credit cards along the way? If not, how much of a minimum cash one should carry on a 4-5 trip?
Woops, I meant 4-5 weeks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, cash is definitely king. There are a few places that you can use cards, but those will likely be the exceptions. Hotels usually accept credit cards, as do some restaurants in larger towns. But alberques, small shops, and small restaurants along the way probably won't.

I think that 20-30 euro per day is probably sufficient for most people - 10 euro for a bed in an alburque, 10-20 euro per day for food, laundry and incidentals. If you really enjoy wine, you want to stay in hotels sometimes, and or use pack transport, then you would want to budget more.

Most people take cash out of ATMs along the way as they need it - making sure to carry a few day's worth of cash to see them through rural areas or if the ATMs are out of cash.

Yes, cash is definitely king. There are a few places that you can use cards, but those will likely be the exceptions. Hotels usually accept credit cards, as do some restaurants in larger towns. But alberques, small shops, and small restaurants along the way probably won't.

I think that 20-30 euro per day is probably sufficient for most people - 10 euro for a bed in an alburque, 10-20 euro per day for food, laundry and incidentals. If you really enjoy wine, you want to stay in hotels sometimes, and or use pack transport, then you would want to budget more.

Most people take cash out of ATMs along the way as they need it - making sure to carry a few day's worth of cash to see them through rural areas or if the ATMs are out of cash.

Many thanks. This is the type of information I was exactly looking for.

Hi Gadflyparexcellence welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find some great information here, as for cash don't carry more then two to three days of cash and use your credit card as much as you can, lots of atm's if you are doing the camino frances, now I don't know where you are coming from but be aware that most credit cards from the US gets charged a fee plus transaction fee some even charge an exchange rate fee and that can add up, some don't charge any fee at all like Charles Schwab atm card and credit cards works best with a chip, by 2017 all american issue credit cards will have a chip so it should be ok and you need a pin number too.

zzotte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Gadflyparexcellence welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find some great information here, as for cash don't carry more then two to three days of cash and use your credit card as much as you can, lots of atm's if you are doing the camino frances, now I don't know where you are coming from but be aware that most credit cards from the US gets charged a fee plus transaction fee some even charge an exchange rate fee and that can add up, some don't charge any fee at all like Charles Schwab atm card and credit cards works best with a chip, by 2017 all american issue credit cards will have a chip so it should be ok and you need a pin number too.

zzotte
Thanks zzotte for the information. Very useful. I will be arriving from New Jersey in the US and will be doing the camino frances route most possibly beginning in Logrono, if not Pamplano. Although I have been to northern Spain before, it was on pleasure. Fortunately I have been carrying credit cards which do not charge a foreign transaction fee. Thanks again.

Welcome, most of the albergues accept only cash.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thanks zzotte for the information. Very useful. I will be arriving from New Jersey in the US and will be doing the camino frances route most possibly beginning in Logrono, if not Pamplano. Although I have been to northern Spain before, it was on pleasure. Fortunately I have been carrying credit cards which do not charge a foreign transaction fee. Thanks again.
Gracious me!!! With whom have you been speaking?!:confused: :eek: Please think of the Camino as pleasure also. :D:D:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
cash, no doubt. Make sure you bring a card that you can use in an ATM, commissions do exist, so just beware. I am not sure American Express can be used in Spanish ATMs, though.

IMPORTANT; along the way, do keep an eye on where you can find ATMs, some times you might be in a stretch where you find none (for example, in Via de la Plata, you can spend up to 4 days without passing by one single ATM).

That is all, enjoy your walk, it isstill two long years ahead of you before you sent your foot in Pamplona/Logroño

I speak from experience: once, the only ATM in the village was empty. Fortunately, we had a €50 bill hidden in a smart place, and managed to get to the next one, two days' walk from that place.

Also: GET SMALL BILLS! Some private albergues will claim that they don't have any change, so you'll end up paying €10 for a €6 bed. I have seen this happen a few times for the next guest arriving right after us, when I know that we paid in small bills. (Once I spoke up and offered to change, and got a furious look from the owner.)

In a day to day sense, most of your transactions for food, accommodation and other daily needs (coffee, beer, pharmaceuticals, etc) will be in cash. I would withdraw enough for the next seven days walking. ATMs are easier to find in major towns, but they are not always going to be available in many of the smaller villages where you might find yourself. Its a balance when to top up your cash - you won't want to be spending every couple of days wondering if you can find an ATM in the next village or town but neither do you want to run out if you suddenly need a little more for some purchase. As for using credit cards for purchases (rather than cash withdrawals) I never did that at anytime on the Camino, although I did do it once I had reached Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Please note: I HAVE FOUND ALMOST NOBODY IN SPAIN WILL TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS
It's better to take VISA
I love Charles Schwab because they reimburse me ALL FEES at the end of each month, including ATM and exchange fees.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Stashing a 50 euro note (or a couple of them) in your pack as a backup is a great idea. 50 euro will cover you for at least a couple days if you should run out of cash and not be able to find an ATM.

Annie when you do the Madrid walk can you let me know how the ATM situation is?
Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks to all of you who provided such useful and practical information above. I will do as you have advised. May take from all your feedback is: carry sufficient cash at least for a week or two; have bills as small as possible; use ATMs when available, provided they work or have enough cash; use credit cards - most preferably VISA or MasterCard - in major cities.

Could not thank you enough. I'm graced with the spirit of the Camino already!

Thanks to all of you who provided such useful and practical information above. I will do as you have advised. May take from all your feedback is: carry sufficient cash at least for a week or two; have bills as small as possible; use ATMs when available, provided they work or have enough cash; use credit cards - most preferably VISA or MasterCard - in major cities.

"May take from all your feedback" should be read as "my take from all your feedback."
Best

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One or two more pieces of practical advice... take 2 Debit cards and 2 credit cards. Its never happened to me, but on my last trip the do gooder peregrina I was walking with had to assist a foreign gentleman who had his card "confiscated" by an unrulely ATM, left cashless in a smallish town, waiting for a bank to open, to beg for his card back.

I'd keep the primary cards (preferably with no foreign transaction fees) in my wallet. I'd keep the secondaries, somewhere else (pocket in backpack).

I get nervous when carrying less than $100, but realistically a 50 Euro bill can last a while on the camino.

Now, the other thing to remember, is to TELL your bank, and credit card companies that you will be travelling to other countries, and when. They sometimes will not allow a charge or debit if its from a foriegn place they aren't expecting.

Damien

Hi,
Do you, like us here in the UK have travel companies that pre-load free ATM cards with your chosen foreign currency. They are not 'credit' or 'bank' cards but may be something to consider.

I use one of these when on a Camino route.....https://www.thomascook.com/travel-money/travel-money-card/

I get some of my chosen currency loaded by the company in each month of the year between walking. That evens out fluctuations in exchange rates over the year, with the odd 'profit' or two which covers the small charge for using the card on the Camino.

Just a suggestion and not financial advice:D

Buen (no money worries) Camino

One or two more pieces of practical advice... take 2 Debit cards and 2 credit cards. Its never happened to me, but on my last trip the do gooder peregrina I was walking with had to assist a foreign gentleman who had his card "confiscated" by an unrulely ATM, left cashless in a smallish town, waiting for a bank to open, to beg for his card back.

I've had that happen to me!
The ATM ate my card and I had to wait until Monday to get it!
My rule now is NEVER to use the ATM unless it's during banking hours.

And yes, be sure to let your bank know you're traveling.
Schwab is very good about calling me the minute anything looks off.
They even called me this year on a trip to California when I stopped for gas, because they were used to seeing most of my charges come out of Oregon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Charles Schwab is an internationally used online bank and financial institution.
With their ATM card, you are refunded ALL FEES at the end of each month.
This includes ATM fees as well as foreign exchange fees.

Their customer service is excellent.
EVERY time I call I get a human being within an acceptable amount of time.
I love Schwab!

Private facilities generally accept cards, but Xunta, municipal and parish albergues usually only take cash. ATMs are found in most villages so obtaining cash with your card is relatively easy. Be sure to read this earlier 2015 thread regarding credit and debit cards.

Whichever card you do take always keep some euro bills in small denominations; breaking a 50 euro bill in a remote village can be impossible! However, gas stations will often make change even if you don't buy gas!

I haven't seen this info here, so thought I would add:
Arriving with, or obtaining on arrival in Europe, 200 to 300 Euros will help to get your feet on the ground and going for the first few days. Once outside of larger towns and cities, cash is king (as stated). Very few smaller establishments will have any means of dealing with a bankcard. ATMs are easily found and most guidebooks will indicate many locations.

Keep in mind that your daily withdrawal limit may not be obvious. If your bank sets a 300-dollar per day limit and you request 300 Euros (about 330 dollars) at an ATM in say, Burgos, you will be denied. The ATM will not even tell you why your request is not being filled. Trust me, we went through that—in Burgos.

Make sure you have informed your bank or credit union of your travel plans. They WILL lock the card if you have not informed them of dates and countries in your travel plans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

zzotte

Check with your bank to see about charges for ATM machines. The big banks, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc. charge 3% foreign conversion fee plus a transaction fee. Smaller banks charge as little as NOTHING for the conversion fee, as my bank does. My bank charges $1.50 per ATM withdrawal but that's it. Check around in your town. Then at least consider opening a travel account in a smaller bank with no conversion fee. Put your cash in that account and use it throughout the Camino. Very few places take cards and it's horridly expensive to pull cash out of a credit card account, as you probably know. The Euro to dollar exchange is very good these days but who knows what it will be in 2017.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The big banks, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc. charge 3% foreign conversion fee plus a transaction fee.
This is not universally true; the terms vary from credit card program to another. For example, some of the United airlines cards operated by Chase have a foreign transaction fee, while others do not. The BankAmerica Visa has a foreign transaction fee around 2.5%. Charles Schwab is a big bank that has no ATM fee for any withdrawal, worldwide (you pay the fee and then are reimbursed by Schwab each month). And the parameters change from year to year! So: do your research, read the fine print, and stay current.

That is a very good idea woodswoman that's the reason I like my brokerage company Charles Schwab ATM card no fees whatsoever

Zzotte

Are they only accepting US customers or also European ones? Thanks, SY
The US banking rules have become very arcane and obscure since 2001, with regard to non-resident accounts. Talk to Schwab directly and let us know what you find out?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The US banking rules have become very arcane and obscure since 2001, with regard to non-resident accounts. Talk to Schwab directly and let us know what you find out?
Certainly the Schwab US site doesn't allow account creation from an Australian address on-line. I didn't bother trying their UK or HK sites.

This is all great information that makes financial planning for a Camino trip stress free. Thanks to all of you who took the time to offer such valuable info.

Many people we met on our Camino this fall had issues at ATM's. We were stuck at one point without enough money and no ATM for three days. Our Camino angel came in the form of a bartender who agreed to charge cash to our credit card, only adding the 2.5% feee that he would be charged by the credit card company. After that we carried up to two weeks worth and funds were secured to us at all times.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you, like us here in the UK have travel companies that pre-load free ATM cards with your chosen foreign currency. They are not 'credit' or 'bank' cards but may be something to consider.

For US consumers, these cards are available, but come with a lot of fees - much more than the fees we encounter when using credit cards and ATM cards overseas, so they don't usually end up being a good value.

For US consumers, these cards are available, but come with a lot of fees - much more than the fees we encounter when using credit cards and ATM cards overseas, so they don't usually end up being a good value.

I would tend to agree with nov-moon. John McM your suggestion is well taken but for US residents the fees charged for having/using these cards are very high and end up being costlier than using ATM/Credit Cards issued by the banks.

I think you got your answers here if not somewhere in this forum. You can download Camino related app which tells you which towns have ATM/bank facilities and you can then plan accordingly whether you need to withdraw cash or not depending on your schedule.
Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I am also thankful for all this information, as we are leaving for SJPP on. Monday and had not yet resolved this topic.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back