• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash or credit card

JohnKennySang

Time of past OR future Camino
Hmmm.... Can not I answer?
Just a brief practical question. I will be on the Camino in the fall of 2017. I do not plan to carry too much cash on this trip. Should I be able to use my credit cards along the way? If not, how much of a minimum cash one should carry on a 4-5 trip?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi John,

Cash is king on the camino. I think Peter's budget is more than adequate if you're planning on staying in Albergues. I personally wouldn't want to be carrying less than €200 at any one time, but this rather depends on which part of which camino you are doing.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Generally the camino is a cash economy. Private tourist accommodations usually accept cards but at most albergues you pay in cash. ATMs are found in most of the major villages and towns. Never carry a lot of cash but always have some tucked away only for emergencies.

Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry always have a stash of emergency cash. This stash might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'. As always it helps to be prepared!

See this earlier form thread for more info re ATMs along the CF way.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/atms-on-camino-frances.46635/

Just a brief practical question. I will be on the Camino in the fall of 2017. I do not plan to carry too much cash on this trip. Should I be able to use my credit cards along the way? If not, how much of a minimum cash one should carry on a 4-5 trip?

Some accommodations might take credit card, but most places (especially restaurants, bars and small shops) will be cash only. I would recommend between 250-300 euros. Usually 250 is enough, but personally I rather have enough for emergencies, as ATM fees will rip you off.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Generally the camino is a cash economy. Private tourist accommodations usually accept cards but at most albergues you pay in cash. ATMs are found in most of the major villages and towns. Never carry a lot of cash but always have some tucked away only for emergencies.

Whatever your budget and whichever card(s) you carry always have a stash of emergency cash. This stash might be very useful when an intense storm knocks all power out and no ATM works or during a long holiday weekend when the machines are 'milked dry'. As always it helps to be prepared!

See this earlier form thread for more info re ATMs along the CF way.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/atms-on-camino-frances.46635/
Knowing where the next ATM is (some have hours) is important to your budgeting... Ultreya

Even with standard banks that don't reimbuse ATM fees, you are probably still better off with ATM fees than the currency exchange fees you'll pay by getting euro at home before you go or at a currency exchange booth on arrival. But, if you are only talking 250 euro or so, the actual difference in fees won't be that much.

We have Westpac Global Currency card from
Australia, cashed up with Euros. Has anyone had problems using this card in Spain & availability through Spanish ATM’s

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know I am in the minority on this, but I use my credit card in as many places as I can. Any chain supermarket, even the little ones in small places, will take cards. Many restaurants and private accommodations do too. Albergues seem to be the one consistent exception to that. I still carry a couple hundred in cash, but it lasts me a long time. If you want to use cash, that´s fine, but if you prefer the card you may be surprised at how many places do take it.

Also bear in mind if you are going to Spain from the US you will be hit with the foreign transaction fees that really add up quickly.

My USA debit and credit cards would not work in Spain. My bank informed me that they are blocked in certain countries due to the risk of identity theft. I used a prepaid Travelex card to get cash every few days. Getting the leftover cash back from them after I returned home was a nightmare, but the next time I will ask them to send me a check.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Also bear in mind if you are going to Spain from the US you will be hit with the foreign transaction fees that really add up quickly.

Hi, Bob, It's good to point that out, but we should also add that there are credit cards you can get that don't add foreign transaction fees. I have one from Merrill Lynch with no fees, and also one from Capital One. I think many people here have sung the praises of some card from Charles Swab as well.

My USA debit and credit cards would not work in Spain. My bank informed me that they are blocked in certain countries due to the risk of identity theft. I used a prepaid Travelex card to get cash every few days. Getting the leftover cash back from them after I returned home was a nightmare, but the next time I will ask them to send me a check.
Did you notify your banks before you left the US that you would be using your cards in Spain?

Did you notify your banks before you left the US that you would be using your cards in Spain?
Yes I did, thank goodness. If I had just blithely gone without checking, I could have been in a pickle. I tend to panic and lose any common sense when things get rough, so I tried to anticipate and troubleshoot before I left home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have Westpac Global Currency card from
Australia, cashed up with Euros. Has anyone had problems using this card in Spain & availability through Spanish ATM’s
Hi [U]Louis Lloyd[/U] I have the same type of card from South Africa and I used it successfully last year. We loaded the card with Euros back home and used it in the same way as a credit card without the currency conversion. It worked at all ATM's and any other pay points. The biggest benefit of these cards are that some banks in Spain can issue you with a replacement card if it get lost. If you loose your normal bank card you will have to get a replacement from your home bank which can put you at risk of running out of cash.

Hi [U]Louis Lloyd[/U] I have the same type of card from South Africa and I used it successfully last year. We loaded the card with Euros back home and used it in the same way as a credit card without the currency conversion. It worked at all ATM's and any other pay points. The biggest benefit of these cards are that some banks in Spain can issue you with a replacement card if it get lost. If you loose your normal bank card you will have to get a replacement from your home bank which can put you at risk of running out of cash.
Thanks for the thumbs up on the card. We are loading the card before leaving Australia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried about 10-20 Euro in a wrist wallet...another 100 Euro in a ankle wallet...and if all else failed I had another 200 Euro hidden in various places my bags...my advice is never intentionally get below 200 Euro...ATM cash works best...and I only ever used a credit card at small hotels in cities.

Last edited:
As mentioned, "Cash is King," on the Camino and the amount carried depends entirely on the section being covered.

If there will be many main or larger cities to traverse, costs will be higher but will also provide more opportunity to utilize a credit card, or using the right kind of debit card, acquire more cash from ATM's. Most will carry 200 to 300 euro till they get down to under 100 euro and then they start looking for an ATM. Certainly, using ATM's means user fees and if you are in Spain and not Spanish, there will be further charges for the money transfer.

BTW, if you are really going in the Fall of 2017, may I go with you? I would have loved to have had a time machine and returned last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the thumbs up on the card. We are loading the card before leaving Australia.
Hi Louis....I am leaving Cape Town SA on 15th April. Which bank issues this global card you mention? I bank with Nedbank and had planned on cash in euros plus my debit card which I always use when travelling overseas. Any advice would be most welcomed. Thanks.

There is really no reason for a special card.
Just be sure your bank card is a VISA and use it.
Or get a separate account and card for your travel money. That way you can transfer cash in if you need it. The ATMs in Spain are like the ATMs everywhere. Put in the card, put in your 4 digit pin, get your cash. They're all along the Camino and easy to use.

There is really no reason for a special card.
Just be sure your bank card is a VISA and use it.
Or get a separate account and card for your travel money. That way you can transfer cash in if you need it. The ATMs in Spain are like the ATMs everywhere. Put in the card, put in your 4 digit pin, get your cash. They're all along the Camino and easy to use.
Annie thanks. Yes it's a Visa card and use i in USA and all over Europe. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Louis....I am leaving Cape Town SA on 15th April. Which bank issues this global card you mention? I bank with Nedbank and had planned on cash in euros plus my debit card which I always use when travelling overseas. Any advice would be most welcomed. Thanks.
We use Westpac in Australia. The card is a global cash card which isn’t a specific Westpac card however they are promoted by them. Not sure it’s the best way however that’s what we have done.

A lot depends on where you intend to stay and if you intend to book ahead through a site like booking.com, (that will be pensions, hostals, casa rurals, and hotels depending on your budget) or stick to albergues. Albergues will require cash - and they are a lot cheaper. Other types of accommodation took credit cards, visa, most of the time.
I believe in a safety margin, so took cash, but used credit cards where we did stay in alternative accommodation. .That stretched our cash out. Food and drink were cash.
I bought the cash over some time, watching the exchange rates to get a good deal. Probably better rates than using ATM's - which we did infrequently.
I hope that helps.

I am buying and loading 500euros each two weeks as I have no idea what the exchange rates are doing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lost my debit card (ATM). Then I had problems with Visa for cash withdraw as I needed my credit card PIN and had no idea what it was...Chase customer service insisted that I could do a cash withdraw at any Spanish bank with my passport...was not so. They all told me to use the ATM machine ;)
Carry cash!

Just to be safe, I carried an ATM card associated with my Charles Schwab account (savings specifically for travel), my regular bank ATM card, and my VISA credit card with PIN. I never was unable to get cash from an ATM along the Camino, but I did find that certain banks would not accept certain kinds of cards. It was alarming to get that error message, but I had back up. I kept about $200E on me at a time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back