• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash or credit in times of Covid

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My Camino last fall featured a dramatic increase in the number of places that took credit cards from previous years. "Tap" payment has spread quite widely to bars and restaurants that did not used to accept anything but cash. That said, cash is still essential as there were places that still deal in cash only. In general, the big towns were mostly plastic, the small villages still partly not. Not everywhere had a machine, and several albergues that had credit card facilities were asking for cash instead. I guess they don't appreciate the transaction fees, and I was happy to accommodate them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know cash used to be the preferred method of payment prior to Covid, but I'm wondering if that has changed. Will pilgrims who have been on the Camino in the past 2 years please chime in?
I would think if you are walking on the CF you will have more opportunities to use credit cards. As Ivar pointed out things like Apple Pay is more prevalent in bigger cities. If you are staying in hostels/pensions I would assume most take credit cards. Probably in some of the private albergues too. The less walked caminos will have fewer opportunities to use Credit Cards. But in Covid times, now more than ever if you can speak Spanish try to make reservations over the telephone and pay with cash. Booking.com takes 15% and credit card companies take their cut too. If you can call if you need to reserve and pay in cash the owners get the full amount. After the last few years they need every Euro they can get.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know cash used to be the preferred method of payment prior to Covid, but I'm wondering if that has changed. Will pilgrims who have been on the Camino in the past 2 years please chime in?
My husband walked in September, '21. Cash is still the way to go. Rarely does a place accept credit.

Hi Marylou,
Your Camino is just two months away! I am so excited for you! Let's plan another meet-up. I've sent you a PM to discuss it.

I walked the Levante last fall, so I saw a lot of Spain, from Valencia to Najera, on the Frances, where I volunteered as a hospitalera. I prefer to use cash and almost everywhere accepted it. The only problem which I had was in Barajas, where the buses would only take payment through pre-paid cards where the fare was deducted. As this was a change from my previous experience in Barajas and card purchase was not widely available and cash refused, I had some problems with the bus drivers. They got angry, but they didn't throw me off the bus. The situation was pretty much incomprehensible to me, as there was a double charge for transport to and from the airport, which apparently included Barajas, and it was all supposed to be paid onto cards in advance. I never did sort it out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Salvador/Primitivo in Sept. 2021 and found very few places that did not take a CC. In fact, I don’t think I used an ATM the whole camino, though I arrived with several hundred euros.

Since forum members describe such different experiences, I think you should be prepared to adapt to whatever circumstances you find. Get a few hundred euros when you arrive in Spain at an ATM and see how it goes. There is no shortage of ATMs on the Francés (I think you are walking the Francés), so you will not have trouble taking out euros if you need them. Since you never know whether you’ll be able to use your CC, I think the best game plan is to always have enough euros in cash to get you through to the next ATM in case you find that you can’t use your CC.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only problem which I had was in Barajas, where the buses would only take payment through pre-paid cards where the fare was deducted.
Was this the airport bus into the city?

I would ask anyone who is doing a Camino in '22 to consider the earnings lost to the businesses that support us while walking, due to the pandemic numbers and restrictions in '20 and '21. We are fortunate many survived. Using a credit card costs businesses money. This is money lost that can't be regained. Please use cash to better support those supporting us.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Was this the airport bus into the city?
This was the local bus from the town of Barajas, where I stayed for two nights while getting my PCR test and checking that I had fulfilled all the requirements for returning to Canada. When I got to Madrid airport on my way home it was necessary to buy a transit card, using a credit card, to go to and from the airport. Airport trips cost two fares, but I did not know whether I had to pay one or two fares to get back and forth to the town of Barajas, where I had reservations, to the airport. I soon ran out of fares on my card and could not use money on the bus. It was a totally different system from the simple cash pay on the bus which had existed on my last trip. Another time, I would go to the information desk in the lower level of Terminal 4 where they inform travellers about paying fares to go to different locations, and ask them about Barajas. Then I would buy a transit card with twice the number of fares on it which I thoght I needed and just hope that I had enough. The system may be obvious to locals, but not so much to international travelers.

So I just kept my phone in the pocket and cards buried in the pack during Sept-Nov trip in 2021. I paid with ApplePay the whole way. Both Norte and Frances. Yah sure cash you got to hold it because there is that occasional tienda or bar that says no credit cards. Few and far between.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please use cash to better support those supporting us.
This is not as simple as all that. Contactless payment here in Australia is being promoted as a public health measure as part of the range of measures introduced as a response to COVID. I presume it is the same elsewhere. We support those public facing workers in shops, etc by using contactless payments as much as we protect ourselves. I much prefer to use contactless payments and minimise the amount of person to person contact with strangers.

If I have to use cash, so be it, but I don't expect I will as a matter of course where a contactless payment option is available.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.