• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cash vs Credit or Debit

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was wondering if I should exchange some US$ for Euros before I leave the US. I know I can get cash from ATM’s, but would I be wise to start off with, say, a couple of hundred Euros in cash, like for when I first arrive for busses, taxis, etc. Do taxis take credit cards, BTW?
Whilst card payments (almost always now ‘contactless’) are becoming ubiquitous -especially in towns and cities - it’s unlikely that anyone will refuse cash, and smaller rural establishments may prefer it.

Busses will almost all take (and prefer) cards; taxis 50/50. You could use an ATM at the airport?

I would just go to an ATM when you arrive and take out some cash. We always bring a few euros home now for our next trip. We only use cards in hotels, for bus tickets, or more expensive meals--almost never in albergues. Cash is also appreciated by cab drivers. My credit card was hacked in Spain last year so I use it sparingly and always have a backup card on another account with me, too.

Edit:FYI, it is a total pain to have your card hacked while traveling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We always leave home with local cash for our destination. ATMs might be down or we may want to leave the airport in a rush to catch a bus or train. This costs us more but if we can afford the trip we can afford the bank costs for exchanging about $200 US.

Previous overseas trips saw us using debit cards at ATMs to get cash and using that. We haven't done foreign travel since the start of the pandemic so we don't know the best method of handling payments at destinations now.

I was wondering if I should exchange some US$ for Euros before I leave the US. I know I can get cash from ATM’s, but would I be wise to start off with, say, a couple of hundred Euros in cash, like for when I first arrive for busses, taxis, etc. Do taxis take credit cards, BTW?

Bring some euros with you.

In 2014, I landed in Madrid sans either dollars or local currency against my better judgement.

This was my fourth time heading to camino and first time arriving sans local currency.

Ergo, I went straight to airport ATM nothing. Tried another no go. I called bank using their international line. There’d been a mix-up. Bank said they’d release funds within 24 hours. I explained I was in Madrid, 10 o’clock at night with no money. They released funds right then.

Never again will I be so foolish.

A few euros in hand can save time, money, and frustration.

Last year I began my Camino Frances with a direct flight from the U.S. to Paris Charles de Gaulle. Before leaving home I bought 300 euros worth of five euro notes. That was enough small bills to last me the whole trip. I had followed AnnieSantiago's advice and got an ATM debit card from Charles Schwab. I was able to get a bunch of twenties and fifties from the ATM right there in the Paris airport. I also used an ATM in Bayonne and again in Burguete-Auritz (the first town after Roncesvalles). All the large towns and cities have ATM's but many small towns do not. The usual service charge when withdrawing from an ATM is seven euros. Charles Schwab refunds all service charges at the end of each month.

I had a grand time stopping at every café and bar along the way for a café con leche or cerveza pequeña and soon had a pocket full of coins!

I used my credit card whenever I could when checking into my hotel. However, at a few of the smaller places they told me right away: "our credit card machine is not working today"... And, for example: "Your room plus dinner and breakfast is 45 euros." So I was always prepared to pay cash if necessary.

Also, when using a card from the U.S., please note that sometimes the ATM or the hotel or restaurant's machine asks if you wish to pay in euros or dollars... Always select euros!

Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With regards to traveling with cash, I had a recent incident at the Frankfurt airport that scared me for a few minutes. I was on my way to Zimbabwe, and I had placed a total five hundred one-dollar bills in my carryon case. I was taking a bunch of ones with me because there is a shortage of one-dollar bills in Zimbabwe and my friend who owns a business there asked me to bring him some ones. Anyway, I am going through security at Frankfurt, and the dude scanning my bag flips out. He immediately radios for additional officers.

"What's the problem?" I asked.
"You did not declare all the cash you have in your luggage."
"I only have to declare anything over $10,000, right?"
"Yes, but our scan shows you have more money than that with you. Our sensors can see a huge brick of money."
"Relax. It is just one-dollar bills."
The officer rolled his eyes and waited for the dudes with automatic weapons to show up.

Once I was surrounded, my bag was opened only to find a brick of one-dollar bills. I thought that would be the end of it, but it was not. The officers got really mad at me because they thought I was trying to punk them. And they refused to accept my explanation. But eventually they settled down and I was allowed to leave for my gate.

There won’t be a lot of difference rate wise in buying Euros I wouldn’t have thought In USA (obv. searching for the best rate) to buying at an ATM when you first arrive in Spain esp. if your card attracts fees from the Spanish bank and your home bank…which are possible to avoid if you do your prep! Card payments are rising hugely in Spain but some small places may not take them below a certain spend or at all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
With regards to traveling with cash, I had a recent incident at the Frankfurt airport that scared me for a few minutes. I was on my way to Zimbabwe, and I had placed a total five hundred one-dollar bills in my carryon case. I was taking a bunch of ones with me because there is a shortage of one-dollar bills in Zimbabwe and my friend who owns a business there asked me to bring him some ones. Anyway, I am going through security at Frankfurt, and the dude scanning my bag flips out. He immediately radios for additional officers.

"Yes, but our scan shows you have more money than that with you. Our sensors can see a huge brick of money."
The officer rolled his eyes and waited for the dudes with automatic weapons to show up.

Once I was surrounded, my bag was opened only to find a brick of one-dollar bills. I thought that would be the end of it, but it was not. The officers got really mad at me because they thought I was trying to punk them. And they refused to accept my explanation. But eventually they settled down and I was allowed to leave for my gate.
Yes there is a lack of USD in Zimbabwe right now! In fact there is a black market of dealers buying worn and used USD at discounted rates off citizens who don’t like putting money in banks. I had to carry USD 2,500 to Kenya once to pay for a trip (paying by card attracted a 10% surcharge). It was quite nerve wracking sleeping with that amount of money under my pillow!

At least we don’t have to worry too much about fake USD/EUR/GBP in our dealings, which is not the same if you are buying USD in other parts of the world. I have ended up with fake USD in the past!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just go to an ATM when you arrive and take out some cash. We always bring a few euros home now for our next trip. We only use cards in hotels, for bus tickets, or more expensive meals--almost never in albergues. Cash is also appreciated by cab drivers. My credit card was hacked in Spain last year so I use it sparingly and always have a backup card on another account with me, too.

Sorry to hear you got hacked! I have had it too and now I do a few things to lessen the risk. Yes I am paranoid but that doesn’t mean people aren’t out to get me.

I only use one card to withdraw money,
or pay for something, and straight after, transfer whatever is left on that card to another account so if someone tries to withdraw there is zero balance to draw from.

Also find out when your bank day starts and finishes. Mine is 0300 local time. So hackers will withdraw to max balance at 0259 and then 0301. Good info to know.

My banking app lets me do the foll. 3 things.

1. Freeze my card. After a withdrawal I can freeze the card so it cannot be used till I unfeeze it.
2. I can limit the contactless to any value £0 to £100
3. I can limit the number of transactions that I can use contactless on, until a PIN is requested.

Not fool proof of course but it gives me a little peace of mind.

Sorry to hear you got hacked! I have had it too and now I do a few things to lessen the risk. Yes I am paranoid but that doesn’t mean people aren’t out to get me.

or pay for something, and straight after, transfer whatever is left on that card to another account so if someone tries to withdraw there is zero balance to draw from.

Also find out when your bank day starts and finishes. Mine is 0300 local time. So hackers will withdraw to max balance at 0259 and then 0301. Good info to know.

1. Freeze my card. After a withdrawal I can freeze the card so it cannot be used till I unfeeze it.
3. I can limit the number of transactions that I can use contactless on, until a PIN is requested.

Very useful post, thanks. It prompted me to take a look at the apps associated with my cards and I find that I can go that also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only use my bank debit card for money withdrawals. I use a credit card for things like hotels, airlines, etc and that was what got hacked. There are more protections on our credit card against theft than our bank debit card. Still it is a pain if you have any regular automatic payments, upcoming reservations, etc. and your card gets cancelled on a long trip away from home. We use the credit cards to get "points" and cash back credits so we can upgrade future flights or get free hotel nights. Most of my hotel nights in big cities in Spain are covered by points as a result.

I only use my bank debit card for money withdrawals. I use a credit card for things like hotels, airlines, etc and that was what got hacked. There are more protections on our credit card against theft than our bank debit card. Still it is a pain if you have any regular automatic payments, upcoming reservations, etc. and your card gets cancelled on a long trip away from home. We use the credit cards to get "points" and cash back credits so we can upgrade future flights or get free hotel nights. Most of my hotel nights in big cities in Spain are covered by points as a result.
Sure yes understood! Sounds like you have a sensible way of working. Sorry if all got painful when you got hacked!

I had mine hacked while in the US of A, credit card used to purchase tickets from London Heathrow…and I could prove that it was an error on my part, because at that time, was in a plane between Seattle and Miami.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For all of you lucky people about to arrive in Spain and considering using a debit card to obtain cash could I give this info.
Nearly all ATM's linked to the major Banks in Spain make a charge to provide this service.
The only one I found last year were the ATM's connected to the UNICAJA Bank.
Sure, they use convoluted language to get you to convert via the 'wrong' currency, ie your own foreign currency but, other than that there are no charges. (Unless things have changed since winter 2021/22.)

Bring some euros with you.

In 2014, I landed in Madrid sans either dollars or local currency against my better judgement.

This was my fourth time heading to camino and first time arriving sans local currency.

Ergo, I went straight to airport ATM nothing. Tried another no go. I called bank using their international line. There’d been a mix-up. Bank said they’d release funds within 24 hours. I explained I was in Madrid, 10 o’clock at night with no money. They released funds right then.

Never again will I be so foolish.

A few euros in hand can save time, money, and frustration.
Thanks! That's great advice and just the disaster I was thinking could possibly happen.

For my 2019 Camino I ordered $500 Euros in small bills from my bank here in the USA before going and plan on doing the same before my summer camino in Portugal. For me it is all about the convenience - one less thing to worry about once I arrive in Portugal.

It is my practice to look for exchange sources both here at home as well as around my destination. My monetary strategy is then formed based on the results. If ATM fees are acceptable, then use that. Otherwise, and especially if I can find a very good rate, a larger amount will be changed.

Now, pros and cons go with any option. Carrying cash has its set. Debit card use has a different set.
What of opening a bank account upon arrival? Use it while in country and close it before returning home? Cost of opening is zero. Cost of debit withdrawls may or may not carry a fee. Choose a bank based on zero fees, if possible.

I think that’s a wise decision. The fees are a bit higher if you buy the euros now in the US, but it will save you the hassle of trying to find an ATM when you get there when you’re jetlagged and tired. I always get at least €300 before I leave.

I think that’s a wise decision. The fees are a bit higher if you buy the euros now in the US, but it will save you the hassle of trying to find an ATM when you get there when you’re jetlagged and tired. I always get at least €300 before I leave.
Years ago, it used to be so easy to exchange US dollars for various European currencies…not the case today. I recently had a California relative visit here. We went to a large bank locally and the hassle that they gave her was unimaginable. She wanted to purchase some gifts before leaving to return stateside..and I offered to exchange euros for dollars. Now, I am stuck with the dollars…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Years ago, it used to be so easy to exchange US dollars for various European currencies…not the case today.
Not so long ago there was a thread where someone asked what denominations of US dollar bills they should bring to spend in albergues and bars along the Camino. They had read/heard/imagined that it was simpler and quite acceptable to pay for stuff in US currency rather than exchange their $$$ for euros. If only life were that easy... :cool:

I brought a few hundred Euros with me and then picked up more as needed from ATMs. The cash was useful for my morning coffee and juice or for small purchases and I used my credit card for almost all accommodations. I could have used my phone to tap to pay but I'm not cool enough for that :D

I brought a few hundred Euros with me and then picked up more as needed from ATMs. The cash was useful for my morning coffee and juice or for small purchases and I used my credit card for almost all accommodations. I could have used my phone to tap to pay but I'm not cool enough for that :D
I refuse to use my phone to pay for anything..I detest direct debit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What of opening a bank account upon arrival? Use it while in country and close it before returning home? Cost of opening is zero. Cost of debit withdrawls may or may not carry a fee. Choose a bank based on zero fees, if possible.
What??
I don't think that this would be easily accomplished by a foreigner briefly visiting the country. And how would you fund the account?

Also, when using a card from the U.S., please note that sometimes the ATM or the hotel or restaurant's machine asks if you wish to pay in euros or dollars... Always select euros!
This needs to be emphasised (it applies to everyone - not just U.S.). If you select your home currency then the currency conversion will be done by the local bank at a disadvantageous exchange rate. By choosing to pay in the local currency then your own bank will do the currency conversion.

What??
I don't think that this would be easily accomplished by a foreigner briefly visiting the country. And how would you fund the account?
I have had a bank account in Portugal. It requires getting a Portuguese tax id number, but nothing about residency (at least not when I opened it in 2004). It also triggers reporting requirements for US income tax purposes. I don’t think that the typical tourist or pilgrim will find it advantageous. I closed the account last year, and there is a real disadvantage in not being able to do electronic bank transfers easily anymore, but oh well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This needs to be emphasised (it applies to everyone - not just U.S.). If you select your home currency then the currency conversion will be done by the local bank at a disadvantageous exchange rate. By choosing to pay in the local currency then your own bank will do the currency conversion.

And if you are interested in helping to educate people on the ground — I tell the employee/operator using the CC machine that it is always more advantageous for their customers to use the currency of the place where the purchase is made. Frequently, the employee had no idea, and is happy to now have the knowledge to help others. I have heard many times that the employee didn’t know what to say when asked about this, or that he/she had assumed that it would be cheaper if the charge were processed in the customer’s currency. The company using the machine gets no additional benefit or cash-back if the customer asks for the purchase to be completed in euros, so they really have no reason not to help out.

It is my understanding that in Spain you must have a resident number to open a bank account. I was able to open a bank account in Germany several years ago because I was stationed there with the US military 20 years ago, but they required me to close it when I returned from deployment. I am still looking at a Revolut online account to use for my Spain trips. It was recommended to me by some Spaniards last year. I can open one as a US citizen and I don't need a residence status. They do allow electronic bank transfers. Perhaps someone on the forum has more experience with it?

I always take a few Euros with me. While I have never tested it, I understand that ATMs in the airport charge more. I always wait until I get into a town and then I draw the max allowed.
Another thing is to only use ATMs connected to a bank and in the wall of the bank. That is do not use the free standing ATM in a plaza. Lastly, Only use that ATM when the bank is open, just in case something goes wrong.

Buen Camino Bob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And if you are interested in helping to educate people on the ground — I tell the employee/operator using the CC machine that it is always more advantageous for their customers to use the currency of the place where the purchase is made. Frequently, the employee had no idea, and is happy to now have the knowledge to help others. I have heard many times that the employee didn’t know what to say when asked about this, or that he/she had assumed that it would be cheaper if the charge were processed in the customer’s currency. The company using the machine gets no additional benefit or cash-back if the customer asks for the purchase to be completed in euros, so they really have no reason not to help out.
I've had a hotel receptionist push the button for my home currency without asking me!

As an American I've found that having a (free) Charles Schwab checking account with debit card to be the easiest solution. I can easily transfer money from another account to fund it, and all Schwab refunds ALL ATM fees that I pay worldwide.

Do you have personal experience doing this? Or can you point to a reliable up-to-date guide on how to do it for an account with no start-up and maintenance fees? All that I can find on the subject suggests that it is a lengthy and complicated process for a non-resident to obtain a Spanish bank account. I cannot see that any likely saving on ATM exchange fees would be large enough to justify the time and effort involved in the process.

On the other hand this virtual bank that would like to take your money says that it is easy for nonresidents to open accounts in Spain in traditional banks.

I always take a few Euros with me. While I have never tested it, I understand that ATMs in the airport charge more. I always wait until I get into a town and then I draw the max allowed.
Another thing is to only use ATMs connected to a bank and in the wall of the bank. That is do not use the free standing ATM in a plaza. Lastly, Only use that ATM when the bank is open, just in case something goes wrong.
Edit. I always arrive in any country with plenty of local currency too make for an easeful transition. In Spain probably €300.

Buen Camino Bob

Just a note that these days many ATMs in Spain are contactless so no more fear of sucking up your card. And there are banks with very low or no ATM fees. However since I only withdrew cash a few times in two months I didn’t stress about this cost too much. Compared to an air fare from Australia a total €12 in bank fees wasn’t worth worrying about.
Edit. I always arrive with local currency. In Spain for a Camino around €300

I always buy Euros prior. Airport exchange rates are not good and machines unreliable. Initial expenses when you arrive - taxi, metro, snack. I track exchange rates 6 months out - using websites ceifx.com and travelex.com - next day delivery if you purchase at least $1000. If I'm on the Camino 30-40 days at $25 p/day ($750-$1000). I usually end up bringing euros home with me and save them for the next adventure.

This entire conversation is regarding the subject of saving a few dollars at best. The exchange rate between Euros and the USD changes daily. You could find yourself down a rabbit hole buying currency before you travel. Granted, the currency exchange booths at an airport are a rip off, but having the ability to have less than 100 euros in your wallet from your last trip, your best friend's last trip or your local bank is all you need to get started. The first secure ATM you see should cover you.
The pinless, touch thing is now the wave of the future and God only knows what that is leading to. In Portugal I can just wave my cellphone over a payment now. Yikes!

That suggestion is something that you might expect to hear from a clueless, kookie financial advisor like Suze Orman.
I have accounts in 2 European countries and trust me there is no free lunch once you open an account here, if you can actually provide them with enough details to do so. Forget it!

I did try and read thru the responses, but there are many. Do not the banks charge a hefty fee on the exchange rate each time you withdraw from a foreign atm? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of the going bank exchange rate +5%?

I did try and read thru the responses, but there are many. Do not the banks charge a hefty fee on the exchange rate each time you withdraw from a foreign atm? Somewhere in the neighbourhood of the going bank exchange rate +5%?
Thanks for asking , I was wondering too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Smash123 and @littlegreen60 your own bank will charge much less than the ATM bank. So you need to withdraw in Euros, and say "no" when it asks if you want the (local) ATM to do the exchange. It can be tricky, because the machines, I think, are deliberately set up to deceive!

Also, different ATM machines charge a different fee to use the facility - this is separate from the exchange rate, and should be shown as a flat charge. They are very variable, I've seen everything from a couple of euros to €10.

My own bank charges only the standard daily international visa exchange rate, which is as competitive as they come, and refunds all ATM fees. There are some conditions, I must keep more than a certain amount in the bank, and make more than a certain number of withdrawals and deposits each month. Which is no great stress as that is pretty much my normal pattern.

I am sure there are other banks that do the same. It can be worthwhile researching. For those in the US (and maybe Canada?) Charles Schwab seems to be the answer.

Another option is to use a "travel money care" from your bank, where you pay an upfront exchange rate to load the card with foreign currency, and then can withdrawn it from ATMs without paying any further exchange. But I find the exchange rate is quite high, and you will still be paying the ATM fee. You can also use the travel money card to pay for accommodation and purchases, like a normal debit card.

If you do have to pay ATM fees is worthwhile making your withdrawals in larger towns where there are usually a few options, financial areas with several banks are good, so that you can pick the cheaper ATM.

I think the short answer is no, it is not prohibitively expensive to use ATM machines, provided your own bank does the exchange and not the local bank.

For all of you lucky people about to arrive in Spain and considering using a debit card to obtain cash could I give this info.
Nearly all ATM's linked to the major Banks in Spain make a charge to provide this service.
The only one I found last year were the ATM's connected to the UNICAJA Bank.
Sure, they use convoluted language to get you to convert via the 'wrong' currency, ie your own foreign currency but, other than that there are no charges. (Unless things have changed since winter 2021/22.)
Ditto last year. Unicaja seems to be the only one that doesn't sting you a few euros every time you make a withdrawl.

I used Deutsche Bank to withdraw Euros in Spain for no fee but they are mainly in major cities. Lots of regional banks don’t seem to charge fees.

If you are coming through another European country many of them don’t charge fees! Spain is defo at the high end of fee charging.
Ditto last year. Unicaja seems to be the only one that doesn't sting you a few euros every time you make a withdrawl.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not so long ago there was a thread where someone asked what denominations of US dollar bills they should bring to spend in albergues and bars along the Camino. They had read/heard/imagined that it was simpler and quite acceptable to pay for stuff in US currency rather than exchange their $$$ for euros. If only life were that easy... :cool:
It is that easy in México to pay in $, but not in Europe where the € reigns supreme. I go to one particular currency exchange place when in Paris and have gotten very competitive rates for my $; what about the “casas de cambio” in Spain? I assume (which can be dangerous, I know) they have them there, right?

Simple answer: yes. 200 should do it. Then you are not dependent on ATMs being open/accessible/working when you arrive. How you pay for stuff after that is a different question with a lot of complex answers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
what about the “casas de cambio” in Spain? I assume (which can be dangerous, I know) they have them there, right?
You will not find them in most Spanish towns these days. Even in larger cities they are hard to find outside of the airports. Banks are rarely willing to change foreign currency - even for their own customers. People expecting to pay for their journey with foreign currency brought as banknotes have often struggled to exchange it for euros.

there is a real disadvantage in not being able to do electronic bank transfers easily anymore, but oh well
The new online financial institutions like Wise all allow very simple and cheap bank transfers. In addition once I convert some money to the local currency (E.G. US dollars, GB pounds) then I also get a virtual bank account in those countries that I can quote to anyone who wants to pay me and that allows for local bank transfer transactions rather than international bank transfers. With Euros I get a local, virtual, bank account in Brussels.

There are no tax implications for me and I don't need a local tax ID.

This is not a case of one size fits all. You are correct that there are some bankcard providers from the US (and I would assume other countries) who charge their customers high exchange rates and don't cooperate with the foreign bank where you withdraw your money and thus you get hit with a double whammy of a lousy exchange rate and large transaction fee some times at the machine as well as from your own bank. I found this to be true with Fifth Third Bank a number of years ago. I have never used the Schwab card but everyone who does swears by its fairness doing foreign transactions. What you want is an exchange rate based on the exchange rate at the time of the transaction and a transaction fee of zero to 2 euros at the most. The thing to do is ask someone at your bank what their procedure is and if you get a "dunno" cross eyed response I would suggest finding another bank that deals regularly with foreign travelers. I have lived in France and now live in Portugal, I have debit cards with my local banks and not a single ATM has ever charged me a transaction fee in over 10 years.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was wondering if I should exchange some US$ for Euros before I leave the US. I know I can get cash from ATM’s, but would I be wise to start off with, say, a couple of hundred Euros in cash, like for when I first arrive for busses, taxis, etc.
Hi @barryg! This must be your second or third Camino, judging by your earlier posts. You may have forgotten it but the net doesn't forget 😉. You asked the same question five years ago: Should I change my dollars to Euros in the US or when I arrive? Just curious: What did you do then and how did it work out for you?

Fwiw: When I leave home to travel to a different currency zone, I nearly always have the equivalent of at least €50 or $50 in my pocket. Only when I am really too lazy to order foreign currency from my bank for pick up or delivery or when there is very little time between purchase of my ticket and departure do I leave without appropriate foreign currency. I use ATMs abroad for cash and minimise cash payments by using electronic payment wherever possible but I am not overly fussed about the fees associated with ATM withdrawal. But of course it hurts when you see fees on the printout, even when it is only a relatively small amount.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kathar1na,
One more thing to do when packing is to collect all those pesky coins (shrapnel) that you had left after the last trip and be ready to use them for things like bus fares, a cafe con leche and maybe the odd tip you might give someone.

That suggestion is something that you might expect to hear from a clueless, kookie financial advisor like Suze Orman.
I have accounts in 2 European countries and trust me there is no free lunch once you open an account here, if you can actually provide them with enough details to do so. Forget it!
😂
I had to google to find out who Suze Orman is but I agree: Opening an account with a Spanish bank to save on ATM fees while on Camino appears to be a half-baked idea.

While, to our collective surprise, it is apparently possible to open an account in Spain when you are not a resident, did the person who had this idea look into it any further?

I had a look at a randomly picked bank, namely BBVA: You need to be in Spain with your passport and go to a local branch to open your Spanish account. You must have a mobile phone with a Spanish phone number. OK. Then what? You need a bank card which you won't get right away and you won't know exactly how many days it will take them to send it to you. Where to? Some municipal albergue where you believe to arrive on a certain day? And how is the separate letter with the PIN number going to reach you? You also need to transfer funds from home into your newly opened account. Which means that you need online access to your US bank account with perhaps sms verification which, as the attentive reader of this forum will know, might not work when you are abroad. It will also cost you to transfer and convert your $$$ into €€€. Chose wisely. Don't do a standard SWIFT transfer - they add fees, commissions and/or a hefty margin in % to the official exchange rate which you might not even be aware of. Better use a financial service provider like Wise and enrol with them, too. And, oh yes, there might be a fee associated with the mere fact that the Spanish bank will grant you a debit card and manage your account for you .... 🤓.

To me, the distant observer, it seems a much better idea to follow the advice of @trecile and so many other US residents and open a Schwab account in the USA before your departure for your Camino travels instead of opening, after your arrival, an account in Spain to save a handful of euros on your - perhaps five in total? - ATM withdrawals.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used Deutsche Bank to withdraw Euros in Spain for no fee but they are mainly in major cities. Lots of regional banks don’t seem to charge fees.
What a customer pays in the end for ATM withdrawal depends on various factors, including one's own bank and the ATM's bank. When currency conversion is involved, other fees may or will be added. Credit card withdrawal at an ATM is associated with higher fees than Debit card withdrawal. Margins on the basis of official exchange rates (which one? today's? in two days' time? ECB's?) may not even be visible to the consumer.

For those who are interested: There is a Spanish website called HelpmyCash.com. They maintain a table that tells you (if you are a Spanish customer) whether you will be charged or not for ATM withdrawal. For example if you are an Unicaja customer at an Abanca ATM, your withdrawal will be free but at an Santander ATM you will be charged €2,95 and at an BBVA ATM it's €2,70.

The Deutsche Bank and Revolut are one of the few banks who charge nothing for ATM withdrawal for any Spanish customer.

Unfortunately, the table tells nothing for cases when the customer does not have an account with a Spanish bank but it may well be similar: whether or not you will be charged, for ATM withdrawal alone, may depend on your home bank and/or on the banking network to which it belongs.

And don't forget: The UK remains in SEPA (single European payment area). When you bank with a UK bank, cash withdrawal fees at the Spanish bank in question may be different again then when you bank with a US bank.

Last edited:
Kathar1na,
I don't know if you have had any experience with collecting a debit/credit card where you live but both in France and Portugal it requires applying for the card in person, waiting several weeks for the card to show up at your bank and then you must go to the branch to pick it up. Rather cumbersome don't you think if you are not doing anything more than tourist related things.
Suze Orman is an American financial "guru" who fast talks her way on TV about how the ordinary folk should save up for their retirement. She is a complete huckster.

I don't know if you have had any experience with collecting a debit/credit card where you live but both in France and Portugal it requires applying for the card in person, waiting several weeks for the card to show up at your bank and then you must go to the branch to pick it up. Rather cumbersome don't you think if you are not doing anything more than tourist related things.
Yes indeed. That's why I, too, think that is not particularly wise when posters make suggestions without having any practical experience with banking in Spain or Portugal.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

A crack dealer size wad of US cash? That sounds like an example of working really hard to not travel snag free. :D
I worked overseas for many years in and out of some countries known for third world status, malaria, automatic weapons and corruption. The last thing in the world I wanted was an extended conversation with the dude at customs and passport control at those places. They're not the most empathetic of chaps and there's a slight chance your mere presence alone gets on their nerves. Myself and co-workers took the path of least resistance and traveled in and out with just a carry-on containing nothing but changes of socks, skivvies and the like and a wallet with only a couple hundred bucks in it.

In European countries, AFAIK, you will need a National Security ID, obtained from local authorities, in order to open a local bank account. Forget that hassle.

But I suspect that estorildon will be a reliable source, as he moves around the EU ans US with unpredictable speed... :cool:

Last edited:

€83,-
I have had a bank account in Portugal. It requires getting a Portuguese tax id number, but nothing about residency (at least not when I opened it in 2004). It also triggers reporting requirements for US income tax purposes. I don’t think that the typical tourist or pilgrim will find it advantageous. I closed the account last year, and there is a real disadvantage in not being able to do electronic bank transfers easily anymore, but oh well.
(A slight digression)

Five years ago, we opened a Portuguese bank account. We were told by all and sundry that we needed NIFs (Portuguese tax id nos.) to do so. Our particular turn of circumstances would have made this difficult.

It turns out that this is not true. We managed to open the account before we acquired our NIFs (and later added them to our bank records.) The bank staff were not aware of this. It had to be looked up in their operating manual, but the actual process went fine.

That being said, it's probably not worth doing unless you're planning on spending a lot of time in the country--not just for one caminho.

HOWEVER--I have to say the number of services you can access from a Portuguese ATM, if you DO have access, is impressive. Not sure if the same is true in Spain.

I don't understand why you wouldn't go to a bank or currency exchange before you leave home, to stock up on some cash so you will have it upon arrival in a place where a different currency is used.
I do, but I watch the rates also. And it’s been my experience that you don’t always get the best exchange rate at home, but then again, it can vary once you get to your destination, too. Sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes it doesn’t. It has worked for me, and I do what I am comfortable with, as should everyone.

I am trying to understand the derogatory response as my suggestion WAS offered as a question. Oh wait...perhaps it is my fault not recognizing a member change of name?

Do you have personal experience doing this? Or can you point to a reliable up-to-date guide on how to do it for an account with no start-up and maintenance fees? All that I can find on the subject suggests that it is a lengthy and complicated process for a non-resident to obtain a Spanish bank account. I cannot see that any likely saving on ATM exchange fees would be large enough to justify the time and effort involved in the process.

No, I offered the suggestion as a question. I did not purport that I had experience doing it.

I do, but I watch the rates also. And it’s been my experience that you don’t always get the best exchange rate at home, but then again, it can vary once you get to your destination, too. Sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes it doesn’t. It has worked for me, and I do what I am comfortable with, as should everyone.
The most important thing is any fees or commission. They will likely account for more than the fluctuations in the exchange rate.

What??
I offered the idea as a question. I did not advise that I had done it myself, as yet. However, I am at lagerheads to offer ideas again with the misreading and nasty responses received so far.

The most important thing is any fees or commission. They will likely account for more than the fluctuations in the exchange rate.
That’s why I do my homework and have stuck with one particular exchange place for many a visit. It also helps to have backup plans, which I do. Not all my eggs go into one basket, ¿ sabes? Buen camino🤙🏽

(A slight digression)

Five years ago, we opened a Portuguese bank account. We were told by all and sundry that we needed NIFs (Portuguese tax id nos.) to do so. Our particular turn of circumstances would have made this difficult.

It turns out that this is not true. We managed to open the account before we acquired our NIFs (and later added them to our bank records.) The bank staff were not aware of this. It had to be looked up in their operating manual, but the actual process went fine.

That being said, it's probably not worth doing unless you're planning on spending a lot of time in the country--not just for one caminho.

HOWEVER--I have to say the number of services you can access from a Portuguese ATM, if you DO have access, is impressive. Not sure if the same is true in Spain.
Interesting. I opened and account in Portugal at Millennium Bank in November 2022 and they required my NIF.
Funny story about opening my bank account in France. I needed a local account to transfer funds to purchase an apartment. I was directed to Barclays by my real estate agent. Barclays was very happy to accept me as a customer as long as I was willing to deposit 50,000 euros in my account to open it. I said fine, but once I have completed the purchase of the apartment my balance will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000/month. They said, "No, no, you don't understand you must maintain a minimum balance of 50,000." I walked across the street to BNP Paribas and had an account and debit card within a week or so.

My international bank in México has branches in France, so I’ve used my ATM card at their dedicated ATMs, exclusively inside the banks. Even tho’ I’m an account holder, the bank does charge me a small “out of country” service fee, but over the course of a three weeks to a month-long stay, I may make 2, max. 3 withdrawals, so it doesn’t amount to much. I also change $ to € and use a CC during my travels. It seems, however, that there are a lot fewer of my bank’s branches in Spain, so I may have to tweak my cash-to-credit card-to-débito use ratio. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Whatever works, will. 🤙🏽

€149,-
yes for sure ... i always have cash on my when i arrive to tide me over ..last thing i want to look for is an ATM after a long flight

Whatever you end up doing (you'll be fine), make sure you bring some euros back to the US with you, so you won't have to worry about this when you return to Spain for another Camino! (100€ is a safe bet.)
Buen Everything!!

Revolut card is great

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone have experience using e-pay options like Zelle or CashApp in Spain?
Zelle only works in the US, and Cash App only works in the US and UK.

Simple answer: yes. 200 should do it. Then you are not dependent on ATMs being open/accessible/working when you arrive. How you pay for stuff after that is a different question with a lot of complex answers.
Yes! And at end of each Camino I like to bring home an extra 200 Euro (or more) so I’m always ready for a future trip.

The pinless, touch thing is now the wave of the future and God only knows what that is leading to. In Portugal I can just wave my cellphone over a payment now. Yikes!

I was so happy to find pay wave ATMs in Spain. Having lost my card in a machine in London years ago I was delighted that it never had to leave my hand. And now even happier that I can wave my phone.
Having said that I always come with a goodly amount of local currency. My Travel card got hacked/skimmed last year and, while I was told there was a way to access my money (go to Western Union, call the card people, get them to authorise withdrawal - what a hassle) I had enough local currency to tide me over till the new card was delivered in a few days time (to a forwarding address).
PS My cards all lived in foil after that. 😂

I trust the system , but never leave Oz with out local currency. Euros and US dollars are my stand byes. I also have my travel money card loaded with the equivalent of $500 in the local money. Cheers
What card do
you use? I’m also from Oz.

What card do
you use? I’m also from Oz.
I have my CBA Master Credit & Debit Cards. I also have CBA issued Visa Money Card. On this card I can down load virtually any world currency - currently I have US dollars and Euros loaded. But I have had Japanese Yen and NZ dollars. Have a talk to your bank (if you can find a local branch that is). Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just wondering.. if the atm fees charged by the atms in Spain depends on what debit card you use (as in a debit card from USA or UK vs from where I come from, South East Asia).. or is it the same regardless your home card..

Just wondering.. if the atm fees charged by the atms in Spain depends on what debit card you use (as in a debit card from USA or UK vs from where I come from, South East Asia).. or is it the same regardless your home card..
I'm pretty sure that the fee that is charged by the ATM is the same, regardless of which bank the debit card comes from. However, your bank can always charge additional fees for foreign withdrawals.

Try to have separate Debit and Credit cards. If you have one card to access both accounts, I find many ATMs will automatically deduct any cash withdrawal from the credit account and not give the option of using the debit account. The result is inevitably more initial fees and then interest charges on top. :(

€149,-
Try to have separate Debit and Credit cards. If you have one card to access both accounts, I find many ATMs will automatically deduct any cash withdrawal from the credit account and not give the option of using the debit account. The result is inevitably more initial fees and then interest charges on top. :(
In Spain you choose "current account" for your checking account.

Does that mean that you never use a debit card either?
And when you think about it, using cash is a direct debit from your wallet!
But once your wallet is put back no one is going to take more than what is there, likely a lot less than what you have in the bank.

I just read today of a bank's tap to withdrawal at ATMs not closing the transaction and allowing thieves to conduct more withdrawals immediately afterward up to almost a thousand dollars. The bank did eventually make good by restoring funds but you can imagine how much time and effort that took.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just read today of a bank's tap to withdrawal at ATMs not closing the transaction and allowing thieves to conduct more withdrawals immediately afterward up to almost a thousand dollars. The bank did eventually make good by restoring funds but you can imagine how much time and effort that took.
I read an article about that today too. The scammers are always one step ahead of us!

At home, I use a number of different Canadian banks for various purposes. I have an account in a credit union which has relatively small individual withdrawal limits and relatively high interest paid on their accounts. I write them in advance of travel (they want my signature) telling them what amount I wish my withdrawal limit raised to and the dates when I shall be travelling and require this change. So far, they seem content to accept whatever withdrawal limit I request. It would be a nuisance if I could only withdraw what their regular daily limit permits. Setting this up is an additional chore to remember when I prepare for travel.

That’s a good question, and I can only offer a suggestion: that you first check with your bank to see if they can offer any guidance/answers. Two large Spanish banks, BBVA and Banco Santander, have a strong presence where I live (México), so you might use ask your bank representative if there exists a business relationship between yours and one/both of them, or at least give you an idea about what fees you would be charged so you know before you go. ¡Suerte, y buen camino!🤙🏽

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Banks are increasingly given us more ability to manage our accounts yet folks seem to not use them it much. I have posted this recently and will post again bot folks need to be on top of their online security re banks. Some basics i do.

1-do all ATM withdrawals with the same debit card and move money around behind the scenes between accounts.
2– only hold the amount you are withdrawing on the active card. So if you are a US cardholder and want to withdraw €250, hold say, $280 on your account so after withdrawal there is only a tiny amount that someone could ‘withdraw’.
3-if functionality allows, freeze your card straight after a withdrawal so cannot be used.

Inal
I am from UK and have never heard of a joint debit and credit card though I only hold a debit card so may be hopelessly out of touch. I think @dougfitz mentioned this product once. Is it just an Australia thing or other countries. I have been in Australia twice recently and marvelled at your contactless network-I never used an ATM once- so am guessing you a very innovative as a banking country!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi fellow pilgrims I myself, all ways take cash in euros, having done the frances twice I have never had any problems, can be up to 800 euros.as long as you keep it safe 24/7 in a waist belt with passport and any tickets etc plus credit cards to pay in hotels and for just an emergency, I don't like to use cards in an ATM in case it takes the card, if i need extra.cash.i go into a bank, but looking forward to my next Camino will.do the same again..good Camino to all

I work in tourism in Australia. We have had a number of cruise ships visiting lately. Many of the Americans tip in US dollars. While I appreciate the tips, tipping is not a part of Australian culture as our basic wage is quite good at over $AU 20 per hour. I'm saving my $US tips and will exchange it for Euros before leaving Australia.

I work in tourism in Australia. We have had a number of cruise ships visiting lately. Many of the Americans tip in US dollars.
Two things came immediately to mind when I saw this:
  • why would anyone tip in a currency not used in the country they are visiting? Surely they realise that this imposes a burden on whoever gets the tip, even if that is just to take it to the bank to exchange it. More, unless it is a note, most Australian banks are not going to exchange it. Perhaps a currency exchange might, but it doesn't make it any less burdensome.
  • how would someone in the US, who might have greater reliance on tips to form a livable income stream, react to getting a tip in Euro, GBP, AUD, etc. I can imagine that any initial surprise would be quickly replaced, perhaps by anger? Or a demand for local currency? I cannot imagine it being accepted without some adverse reaction.

Two things came immediately to mind when I saw this:
  • why would anyone tip in a currency not used in the country they are visiting? Surely they realise that this imposes a burden on whoever gets the tip, even if that is just to take it to the bank to exchange it. More, unless it is a note, most Australian banks are not going to exchange it. Perhaps a currency exchange might, but it doesn't make it any less burdensome.
  • how would someone in the US, who might have greater reliance on tips to form a livable income stream, react to getting a tip in Euro, GBP, AUD, etc. I can imagine that any initial surprise would be quickly replaced, perhaps by anger? Or a demand for local currency? I cannot imagine it being accepted without some adverse reaction.
I was going to hazard a guess and suggest that the cruise ship has mainly USA folks and charges in US Dollars onboard instead of/as well as the currency of the city docked at? Or maybe they take USD/GBP/EUR - just a guess tho!

We all know the crazy level that USA folks now tip at or are expected to tip so am guessing an Australia customer may tip say AUD20 for service x whereas a USD may tip 2-3 times that so as long as a XE place can be found I guess it’s happy days! Certainly my friends in Lnndon have no issues with USA folks tipping in dollars, it’s quite rare but lucrative!!!

I have seen an absolutely huge cruise ship moored at Circular Quay at least once a week lately and if that had a few thousand USA folks on board people are going to be very happy!

I was going to hazard a guess and suggest that the cruise ship has mainly USA folks and charges in US Dollars onboard instead of/as well as the currency of the city docked at? Or maybe they take USD/GBP/EUR - just a guess tho!
That is always a possibility, but even if the ship is charging in USD, I wouldn't expect them to be using cash on board as a matter of course. The few cruises that I have been on all charged to your ship account or a credit card. Ferries are different, but for multi-day cruises, I don't ever recall cash being handled at all.

And I would expect that any cruise director worth their salt would be reminding passengers they need to have local currency when ashore for transactions where they don't want to use a credit card. Perhaps I am expecting too much!

That is always a possibility, but even if the ship is charging in USD, I wouldn't expect them to be using cash on board as a matter of course. The few cruises that I have been on all charged to your ship account or a credit card. Ferries are different, but for multi-day cruises, I don't ever recall cash being handled at all.

And I would expect that any cruise director worth their salt would be reminding passengers they need to have local currency when ashore for transactions where they don't want to use a credit card. Perhaps I am expecting too much!
Sure! I was just guessing. Good point re settling to account. I have no insight! And yes of course you are right re offshore! BTW I have never seen a country to have such great contactless coverage as Australia-I didn’t even touch a banknote on a recent three week there (albeit in the cities) but yes would expect folks to exchange for local currency. Other guess is many are used to doing cruises to Mexico where USD is very welcome! !

Sure! I was just guessing. Good point re settling to account. I have no insight! And yes of course you are right re offshore! BTW I have never seen a country to have such great contactless coverage as Australia-I didn’t even touch a banknote on a recent three week there (albeit in the cities) but yes would expect folks to exchange for local currency. Other guess is many are used to doing cruises to Mexico where USD is very welcome! !
True about cruises to Mexico, as the bizness to all the major ports of call on the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific coast is again booming. And the US dollar is welcomed from turistas, period, whether they come by land, sea or air. Dollar tips are golden.

True about cruises to Mexico, as the bizness to all the major ports of call on the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific coast is again booming. And the US dollar is welcomed from turistas, period, whether they come by land, sea or air. Dollar tips are golden.
I think the dollar is become a ‘must carry’ currency in about 75% of the world nowadays if you want to maximise your cash!

Maybe they are ignorant of that simple fact. I wouldn't be surprised.

Gosh really! That would be incredible but who knows I guess!
I wouldn't be surprised either.
I have read a lot of forums for travel to Mexico, and many Americans assume that USD is preferred for tips, despite other people telling them that it adds an extra burden to exchange for pesos.

I have read a lot of forums for travel to Mexico, and many Americans assume that USD is preferred for tips, despite other people telling them that it adds an extra burden to exchange for pesos.
According to an earlier entry on this topic, there are not a lot of casas de cambio in Spain where you can change US$$ to €€. This is not the case in México, however. There are at least four of them within walking distance of my house and they exchange US and Canadian $$ to Mexican pesos, €€ to pesos, as well as a couple of other currencies to the Mexican currency (and vis versa if you are desperate😬). Furthermore, Mexican national chain grocery stores gladly accept US dollars (tho’ in denominations of less than $100) and, without a doubt, so do Walmart, Sam’s Club and Costco. So, it really is pan comido to use or exchange US greenbacks in México lindo y querido. But, as in Spain, you cannot just walk into a Mexican bank and change your currency to pesos if you do not have an account there. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah ok! Thanks! As a non USA person I didn’t want to assume it as I thought it might upset someone (given stereotypes around some USA travellers!)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back