• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cassock/soutane/habit

aprilnight

Time of past OR future Camino
august 2013
Hi!
Is here somebody who went on Camino in the cassock or knows somebody who made a success of it or on Camino could see somebody so? I am searching for any information whether it is physically feasible :) I'll be so thankful! :)
Weronika

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The closest I have seen was an Australian wearing a Franciscan friar's habit on the Aragonese in 2005. I chatted with him for a few minutes and he seemed very much focused on its importance (there are a few points on the Sanguesa-Monreal stretch specifically associated with S Francis). As far as practicality, it would like be most uncomfortable in heavy rain, as the fabric would get very heavy (and likely very very muddy). A cincture would be handy to hike up the skirts when ascending and descending slopes, as well as on very messy trails.

Of all of the clergy (including three bishops) I know who have walked the Camino, they all wore hiking gear-- one packed a stole to hear confessions (nobody took him up on it). While in favour of cassock-wearing in general, this is one place where I am not sure that I see the point of it.

Thanks a lot! Which time of year did you see that Franciscan? Me and my friend are going to go in August and we are afraid of high temperatures... Muddy and raind aren't problems ;)
You see there must be a point - maybe some spiritual or sth, I'm just a normal girl, he is going to be a priest. He want to feel it more than he will in normal clothes. Maybe to understand that we have wear it in general? I don't know... (sorry for my english)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This was in September on the Aragonese but I think it safe to say that there will be rain at some point in Galicia, and he will have kilos of mud on the hem of his cassock. Or maybe not. As far as heat goes, if the cassock is cotton or a fine light wool, it might even be cooler (I have clergy friends who tell me that this is so, and certainly in North Africa the jellabah/galabea seems to serve as a practical garment in very hot weather).

My advice, for what it's worth, is to tell him to forget the cassock. In theory, it is the normal streetwear of the clergy, equivalent to a business suit, and I have yet to see anyone in a business suit and tie on the Camino. I do not want to sound offensive, but I do not know if doctors feel more medical if they wear a white coat on the Camino, or if lawyers feel more professional in gown and bands. My advice (which he can ignore if he wishes) is that If he wants to feel more priestly, he should carefully say his offices (for Anglicans, matins and vespers; for RCs, their breviary) every day and look for ways of being of service to others along the route. He should perhaps seek the opinion of his spiritual adviser or mentor to get some ideas which would be tailored to him and his needs.

The several clergy I have met on the Camino told me that they found it a very welcome place where they could re-examine their vocations within a spiritual environment but without a spiritual structure around them, and they found it freeing when they could be seekers along with the others.

As a to be Anglican priest, sitting the airport about to depart, I packed hiking clothes. My Book of Common Prayer and Bible are on my Kindle for praying the offices.

I met with my spiritual director before departing to focus my prayer life and reflection pre-Camino, I would assume your friend has someone similar. Good luck and may grace and peace be with you both.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.