• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almadén de la Plata. aka. the stage from hell.

geraldkelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
There's a report in El Diario newspaper saying that a number of walkers' rights organisations, ecological organisations and the Amigos del Camino are taking a court case to gain access to a historical right of way which would cut the number of kilometres of road walking on the stage between Castilblanco and Almaden:

http://www.eldiario.es/andalucia/se...ta-Andalucia-Camino-Santiago_0_734577538.html

It would be nice to avoid that 16km of road (although I wouldn't really go along with their description of it as dangerous).

Gerald

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really hope they are successful as it is a very long stretch with the added bonus of a steep hill right at the end. For those who do not want to walk the road section there is a man in the village who will take you to the park entrance for €25.

"The stage from Hell"???

Isn't that teeny bit overstating it? Yes, the long road stage is dull, but there's a wide verge so it's not on tarmac, and there's virtually no traffic.

And the next 14km in the park are just wonderful, rising slowly through the sweet smelling sierra. The lung-busting final climb just before Almadén is tough, but the views out from the Calvario are spectacular, and you can see that lunch is just a short descent down into the village (a very nice village and a very nice albergue, even if the vending machine does make a tiresome noise all through the night). But it would be wonderful if the fist 15km were in countryside as spectacular as the rest.

If I was choosing "my worst stage on the Plata", I think I'd go for Salamanca to El Cubo de Tierra del Vino, dreary suburbs followed by flat flat flat shadeless, with only a motorway for company (oh, and a prison tower).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Totally agree with Alan!

The road is SO quiet, in the three times I've walked it (yes 3) there have been at the most a handful of cars passing. Dangerous I would not at all call it and the reward afterwards is the lovely park.

@alansykes IMHO the walk into El Cubo is the worst - the entire time alongside a highway without a tree or bush to hide behind to pee :( (for us ladies) - although I am sure that some might enjoy the show while passing by:oops:.

Ah, the freedom that comes from having a very clever piece of Swiss engineering.... PM me for details (no commercial interest)!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I actually quite enjoy those 16 km by the road, virtually no traffic, quiet misty mornings, beautiful landscape... I have done it 3 times too (only 3,5 hours drive from home, yipeee!) and I find it nice.

This said, it would be ideal if the old path, la trocha, could be opened again, but the Andalusian government refuses to force the landowners to reopen a path that should be public. A disgrace. As soon as the old path is reopened, I will try to go there again!

I shared a taxi to the entrance of the park. I thought a 30+ km stage would be too much for my third stage. The walk through the park was wonderful. The climb was not that bad. I thought I was halfway when I allready reached the top ( the feeling might be different when I would have walked the 16 km to the park.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I well remember that hill. After struggling up it on a very hot day, at the top in a park there was a group of teenagers talking as only the Spanish can talk, who, as soon as they saw me, told me to sit down and brought me a big glass of Sangria which I gulped down and they promptly refilled. The Spanish people are wonderful

I didn’t mind the Almaden stage. The view at the top of the mountain was awesome at the end of the day!

As for the Salamanca to El Cubo de Tierra del Vino stage, I broke it up by staying at Casa Sosa yesterday. Very friendly hosts, heaters and great wifi. They also have a swimming pool that is open in the warmer months!

Last edited:
I walked the whole stage. The road was not very heavy on traffic. But since the 24 hours in front had been heavy on rain, the arroyos in the park was big rivers, balancing on top of stones with the water froading around. Never took a picture, but should have. The hill at the end of the park was not as bad as described in the guidebooks after the arroyos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No pain, no gain, as they say. One of the most amazing stage on VdlP. The countryroad is beautifull and silent, though. (IMHO)

I broke the stage up by sleeping at the (disused) foresters buildings where the fountain is just after entering the park. There is a shelter there, the sunset was beautiful. The road wasn't dangerous just boring, I hope they do manage to open the countryside route up for 'next time'.

Davey

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stages like this one add to the variety of the VDLP and make it ne of the great walks. I still remember this stage after walking it in 2009. Didn't find it boring at all.

I remember that day well. The previous day was like a mud bath and I feared the same after the road section but things turned out great in the end.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back