• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castilblanco to Almaden

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not really...
I have been walking the Via de la Plata virtually, as I am stuck behind closed borders in Australia.
Luckily, there are many veterans of the VdlP who are helping me on this virtual Camino, and on that particular stage, as we cannot walk the entire length of the stage for a number of reasons, we are taking a taxi to la finca El Berrocal, and then walking the rest of the way. The veterans have told me we wouldn't miss much.
You'll find the comments about this stage here.
We're hoping to walk the VdlP in 2022...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always want to walk every km of every camino I do, so I walked that stage in two days. First day I walked 16km to the La Finca El Barrocal park. A few km into the park there is a disused park ranger station where I freecamped. It has a fresh water tap and a large covered garage so did not need a tent. There are beautiful views from there too. Next day I walked the 13km to Alamaden.

DSCN6040.JPGDSCN6041.JPG

I wanted to start my Camino with short distances 34 kilometers as a third stage seemed to much. I took a taxi with a mexican couple. The hospitalero said many people did this. We walked from the entrance gate, where the Camino left the asphalt. I don't think there a places to stay between Castilblanco and Almaden (at least not in 2015,) If you want to walk every kilometer you could walk to the entrance and then take a taxi to Castilblanco or Almaden and taxi back the next day ( perhaps in this way you could walk one stretch without your backpack)

I wanted to start my Camino with short distances 34 kilometers as a third stage seemed to much. I took a taxi with a mexican couple. The hospitalero said many people did this. We walked from the entrance gate, where the Camino left the asphalt. I don't think there a places to stay between Castilblanco and Almaden (at least not in 2015,) If you want to walk every kilometer you could walk to the entrance and then take a taxi to Castilblanco or Almaden and taxi back the next day ( perhaps in this way you could walk one stretch without your backpack)

This is also a good idea, especially if you don't fancy freecamping. I saw a few people doing this, walk to the park then taxi back. Next day taxi to the park and carry on to Alamaden. I just preferred to camp out, though it meant carrying my supper for the evening and a few beers!

Davey

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always want to walk every km of every camino I do, so I walked that stage in two days. First day I walked 16km to the La Finca El Barrocal park. A few km into the park there is a disused park ranger station where I freecamped. It has a fresh water tap and a large covered garage so did not need a tent. There are beautiful views from there too. Next day I walked the 13km to Alamaden.

View attachment 78996View attachment 78997

That's great advice. When did you stay there

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not really...
I have been walking the Via de la Plata virtually, as I am stuck behind closed borders in Australia.
Luckily, there are many veterans of the VdlP who are helping me on this virtual Camino, and on that particular stage, as we cannot walk the entire length of the stage for a number of reasons, we are taking a taxi to la finca El Berrocal, and then walking the rest of the way. The veterans have told me we wouldn't miss much.
You'll find the comments about this stage here.
We're hoping to walk the VdlP in 2022...
I am hoping to walk in 2021 but as days pass I wonder if this will be possible so it may be 2022. Being that this stage is so early in the Camino I will do exactly the same as you. Take a taxi to the entrance of the park and then walk. If it was much later in the Camino I would probably walk it. I have seen an elevation guide and the last stretch to Alamaden is a long and steep incline. Maybe I will have to walk in 2022 and maybe we can split a taxi!! :)

That's great advice. When did you stay there
On my first few caminos I insisted on walking every step. That insistence has lessened with age. If I free camped and by some miracle I fell asleep on that floor I would need a stretcher to get me up in the morning. As I mentioned earlier I might have tried it if it was later in the camino but the more I think about it the less I am committed to 28+k. I think when I finally get to walk the VDLP I will wave to those brave pilgrims doing the full trek as I go by on the way to the park entrance:)

I wouldn't depend on the tap at Berrocal always having water. It didn't when i passed there in May 2017. And i definitely wouldn't recommend walking through Berrocal without sufficient water!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't depend on the tap at Berrocal always having water. It didn't when i passed there in May 2017. And i definitely wouldn't recommend walking through Berrocal without sufficient water!!

True, I carried enough for two days. But there are at least two water taps there (possibly three if I remember). There is the water tap marked for pilgrims out the front - probably the one you mean. A second one behind that in the courtyard that comes from the administrative building - which seemed fresher to me. Then I think there was one from a separate building in the vehicle compound (which was disused but open).

Carry enough just in case though!

Davey

On my first few caminos I insisted on walking every step. That insistence has lessened with age. If I free camped and by some miracle I fell asleep on that floor I would need a stretcher to get me up in the morning. As I mentioned earlier I might have tried it if it was later in the camino but the more I think about it the less I am committed to 28+k. I think when I finally get to walk the VDLP I will wave to those brave pilgrims doing the full trek as I go by on the way to the park entrance:)

Yeah, I am lucky I guess that I can still happily freecamp, but there will come a time when it is no longer an option! (I'm 57). Until then though...

Davey

True, I carried enough for two days. But there are at least two water taps there (possibly three if I remember). There is the water tap marked for pilgrims out the front - probably the one you mean. A second one behind that in the courtyard that comes from the administrative building - which seemed fresher to me. Then I think there was one from a separate building in the vehicle compound (which was disused but open).

Carry enough just in case though!

Davey
Davey, you must carry a heavy load and I know you are not a big guy. With food and the extra water how much did your pack weigh?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Davey, you must carry a heavy load and I know you are not a big guy. With food and the extra water how much did your pack weigh?

Don't try this but...

My pack is at least 16kg, sometimes more. Always two days food, wine or beer, or wine and beer, hair clippers, cold weather gear (always used, or lent out) tent and mat. Always 'enough' water. More beer if in doubt. But then remember I usually walk for 5-6 months a time. This load-out means I am free to stop whenever and wherever I want, and I don't rely on accommodation at all. Also, if an albergue gets full, I will always volunteer to give up my bed and sleep elsewhere. The first two weeks of my camino's are a bit of a killer!

Davey

I didn't walk VdlP yet and I don't want to split hairs but I will. Could someone please change obvious typo (or ignorance?) in the title of this thread from Alamaden to Almaden (de los Arroyos)? We can't know if newbies are all familiar with all those names...
Wasyington, Arthens, Moscot... , anyone? ;)

I didn't walk VdlP yet and I don't want to split hairs but I will. Could someone please change obvious typo (or ignorance?) in the title of this thread from Alamaden to Almaden (de los Arroyos)? We can't know if newbies are all familiar with all those names...
Wasyington, Arthens, Moscot... , anyone? ;)

Well spotted!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well spotted!
I'll divert here just for this one post. And please feel free to delete it, mods. But this kind of stuff really bothers me because it kind of shows disrespect for a country you are visiting as a foreigner. I mean how you pronounce names is one thing but typing it incorrectly is something else.

Yesterday I watched the CF video (from the @David Tallan 's list), a very very good film actually, where the guy made a footage by the side of Hemingway's statue in Cafe Iruna in Pamplona. And Ernest was on the left side of the frame, the guy was on the right side and in between them on the wall there was a sign with name Pamplona. But during this relatively short scene the author mentioned Pamplona as PampAlona I think 8 times and to the end of the film few times more. I mean..., geees, there you have it, half a meter from you and you're not aware of it. Just can't understand. Sorry for the rant.

I walked the VdlP alone from Sevilla to Santiago on the Sanabres route at the age of 69 in October-November of 2017. To walk to Almaden, I paid to have my pack carried by the taxi that carried about half of that days' pilgrims the 16 kms to the park entrance. I carried food and water for the day and my usual emergency gear, while the rest was delivered by the taxi to an albergue in Almaden to await my arrival. It was a long, hot day and the final climb was no fun, but I experienced no difficulties. If you stay in the albergue in Castilblanco, you will probably meet other walkers who are eager to share a taxi to the park entrance or to send on your heavier pack and gear to Castilblanco, in return for a reasonable share of the cost of the taxi. Any pilgrim or pilgrims may decide to arrange this.

Alamaden to Almaden (de los Arroyos)? We can't know if newbies are all familiar with all those names...
Pamplona. But during this relatively short scene the author mentioned Pamplona as PampAlona I think 8 times and to the end of the film few times more. I mean..., geees, there you have it, half a meter from you and you're not aware of it. Just can't understand. Sorry for the rant.
Hi Kinky
Noticed your absence for the month. Btw I like it when people rant nicely as you do.
I think with the pronunciation thing (with Pamplona)- once someone has got what they believe is the correct pronunciation into their head - it’s hard for them to shift it. As long as you know what they’re talking about. Same thing when we try to converse in Spanish ... we try our best but I’m sure the Spanish cringe at some of the accents but mostly give us an encouraging smile. I do understand how you feel though - I often cringe when I see how people use (to / too) and many more than those.

Also this isn’t a correction ., you put a query ? against your naming. So ;
Almadén de la Plata and Castilblanco de los Arroyos. . are the village names I believe. You’ll have to walk the Vdlp. when your next opportunity comes. Great, great, great.

Glad to have you back

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is there anywhere to stay along this long stage? Thanks in advance.
Depending on your degree of fitness this is a very tough stage. There is nowhere to stay en route unless you count the shelter as described in other posts. I took the taxi to the park gates and would do so again. The walk is beautiful with a steep climb at the end. Or if you need to walk every step of the way then the taxi shuttle is a solution.

I walked all the way with my backpack and was surprised that the climb at the end was not as bad as described. After heavy rain the day before my big problem was getting over the arroyos in the park on stepping stones nearly covered with froading water. There were stages on VdlP that were harder than this.

Yeah, I am lucky I guess that I can still happily freecamp, but there will come a time when it is no longer an option! (I'm 57). Until then though...

Davey
Hang in there Davey. I am now 66 and walked my first Camino at 58. I trained like crazy that first time in St. Jean. When I got to Orison I thought I would die. But I rested and made it all the way to Roncesvalles. My second camino I started in Le Puy and when I got to St. Jean the trek up that hill sure seemed alot easier after walking 750K. :) Now I train less because I know my body and "how to walk". I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Although I still train I start my caminos at a slower pace and try to keep everything at about 20k the first 10 days or so. I stop wherever I am, if it is possible, whenever I feel a little tired. That 10 minute break with some water and maybe a piece of fruit makes an amazing difference. When it comes to camping in my younger days when the kids were little and we camped alot I ALWAYS slept on an air mattress. I have never stayed in the wonderful donativo in Granon because I would never sleep let alone get up without a chiropractor if I had to sleep on one of those mats. It sucks because I would have loved to experience that place. I went and when I saw the mats I said sorry. The Hospitalera was so kind and nice it made leaving even harder. So keep walking and free camping and who knows you may still be able to get off the floor in 25 years!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked that section at the end of November last year, which meant short days in terms of daylight. The route from Castilblanco to the entrance to the park is boring, roadside, with ups and downs. Which makes the park all the more delightful. The park makes the rest of the day worthwhile. I passed the ranger's place and had a good nosey around. Apart from the idea of camping there, there are no options for overnight stays. The distance of the whole leg is fair, but it's completely attainable. The inconvenience of the steep Calvary hill in the last km is the sting in the tail, but there was decent food to be had in Almadén, and we made it before dusk fell.

Hang in there Davey. I am now 66 and walked my first Camino at 58. I trained like crazy that first time in St. Jean. When I got to Orison I thought I would die. But I rested and made it all the way to Roncesvalles. My second camino I started in Le Puy and when I got to St. Jean the trek up that hill sure seemed alot easier after walking 750K. :) Now I train less because I know my body and "how to walk". I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Although I still train I start my caminos at a slower pace and try to keep everything at about 20k the first 10 days or so. I stop wherever I am, if it is possible, whenever I feel a little tired. That 10 minute break with some water and maybe a piece of fruit makes an amazing difference. When it comes to camping in my younger days when the kids were little and we camped alot I ALWAYS slept on an air mattress. I have never stayed in the wonderful donativo in Granon because I would never sleep let alone get up without a chiropractor if I had to sleep on one of those mats. It sucks because I would have loved to experience that place. I went and when I saw the mats I said sorry. The Hospitalera was so kind and nice it made leaving even harder. So keep walking and free camping and who knows you may still be able to get off the floor in 25 years!

Yeah, sleeping on the floor is something you get used to. I differ as my early camping days I could never sleep properly on an airbed, the floor was much more comfy to me! I've only just started using a roll mat, inside a tent I don't need one really, but freecamping without a tent it is a must! Especially on concrete (church porches with cobbles comes to mind)! I will see how long I can keep it up!

Its a real shame that you had to miss Granon though. Although when I stay there I sleep in their camping field (where you hang the washing) that is a few streets away. Best of both worlds, the communal experience and dinner in Granon, but no snoring! (And no curfew).

Best wishes
Davey

I walked all the way with my backpack and was surprised that the climb at the end was not as bad as described. After heavy rain the day before my big problem was getting over the arroyos in the park on stepping stones nearly covered with froading water. There were stages on VdlP that were harder than this.
When I walked this stage in 2017 my age was 75 and I totally agree with all that is said in this message. The first part is, in my opinion, not more boring than other stretches and the whole stage is perfectly doable. Even for someone who is not especially trained.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am hoping to walk in 2021 but as days pass I wonder if this will be possible so it may be 2022. Being that this stage is so early in the Camino I will do exactly the same as you. Take a taxi to the entrance of the park and then walk. If it was much later in the Camino I would probably walk it. I have seen an elevation guide and the last stretch to Alamaden is a long and steep incline. Maybe I will have to walk in 2022 and maybe we can split a taxi!! :)
I remember my guide said it was a difficult steep climb. In fact this information contributed to my decision to take a taxi. In effect this hill was not that bad, it was somewhat steep, but rather short. The moment I thought that I was nearing the"halfway point', I was a few meters from the highest point. Perhaps I would have had more difficulties in walking this hill if I would have walked the 16 to the entrance of the park.

I remember my guide said it was a difficult steep climb. In fact this information contributed to my decision to take a taxi. In effect this hill was not that bad, it was somewhat steep, but rather short. The moment I thought that I was nearing the"halfway point', I was a few meters from the highest point. Perhaps I would have had more difficulties in walking this hill if I would have walked the 16 to the entrance of the park.
Thanks for that and I agree with your assessment. Isn't it great when you misjudge a steep hill and you think you are no where near the top and lo and behold you are at the top? It always seems to be the opposite. You look up after walking a steep hill and think there is the top, only to get there and see the hill keeps going and it may be even longer and steeper than before!

Hi,

in 2008 - with my parents - I took a taxi to the entrance of El Berrocal but later I felt that I had missed something.

Last summer I walked the whole stretch. In total it is 30 km. If you start early, it is feasible.

Leaving Castilblanco on the camino you will pass by a coffee-bar which opens at 4 or 4.30. Perfect for an early start. It is easy walking on the street, even if it is still dark.

The steep ascent to El Calvari, at the end of the stage, was not really that hard. I allowed myself a brake half way up and enjoyed the wind and the beautiful sights on the top. Going down to Almaden was harder, you had to mind every step.

It is worth to continue to the public hostel at the end of the village. Even if the price is the same than in "Casa de Reloj". It is very spacious, the hospitalera very welcoming. But Casa de Reloj is also a good choice if you want to pre-book your bed or do not feel like walking another 500 m.

Some pilgrims who took a taxi to El Berrocal arrived in Almaden very early and made the mistake to add the stage to El Real de la Jara (14 km). That stage is very much uphill/downhill and so this is much more challenging than Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almaden de la Plata.

The next day, if you do not feel like walking 34 km to Monesterio you have various options:
El Real de la Jara (14 km, various hostels)
Hotel Leo (27 km; single 38 €, double 52 €) or wild Camping at the chapel nearby - you may go to Hotel Leo for a meal (cheap) and a shower (5 € - a service mainly adressed to lorry-drivers).
Camping Tentudia (30 km; 12 € per pilgrim in small wooden houses) - this is still before the long an steep climb on the old to Monesterio begins.

BC
Alexandra

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First day I walked 16km to El Barrocal park. A few km into the park there is a disused park ranger station where I freecamped. It has a fresh water tap and a large covered garage so did not need a tent.

I wonder if anyone who walked the first stages of the Via de la Plata recently, could confirm that this ranger station in El Berrocal Park is no longer operating? It's kind of important because throughout the entire stage from Castilblanco to Almaden (which is nearly 30 km) this is the only place to refill water bottles. There is a tap outside, some time ago changed into a nice looking "pilgrim's fountain", but in the middle of hot September, when I'll be walking there, there may be no water in the tap. In the past one could go to the ranger's station and ask for water - I have read that pilgrims used to do it. But what to do if this ranger station is closed?

It also used to be the only place you could ask for help, because mobile phone coverage in the park can be next to none. It would be a shame if that ranger station were closed for good.

I wonder if anyone who walked the first stages of the Via de la Plata recently, could confirm that this ranger station in El Berrocal Park is no longer operating? It's kind of important because throughout the entire stage from Castilblanco to Almaden (which is nearly 30 km) this is the only place to refill water bottles. There is a tap outside, some time ago changed into a nice looking "pilgrim's fountain", but in the middle of hot September, when I'll be walking there, there may be no water in the tap. In the past one could go to the ranger's station and ask for water - I have read that pilgrims used to do it. But what to do if this ranger station is closed?

It also used to be the only place you could ask for help, because mobile phone coverage in the park can be next to none. It would be a shame if that ranger station were closed for good.

When I was there the ranger station was disused but looked maintained (April 2017). There is the 'pilgrim fountain' on the wall as you pass. If you look behind that wall on the left is a tap on the side of the main building, which is the one I used as it was faster running and colder. There was one in the old vehicle compound too, but I never checked it out as I used the other one. So there are three water points at least.

I never knew this so carried all the water I needed for that stage, but the taps were handy for switching out old warm water for some nice cold and fresh. (Plus I camped there). If in doubt don't count on these water sources operating when you pass and carry what you need anyway.

Sorry that rambled a bit!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back