• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castro Urdiales to Laredo: options

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
My wife and I are still in the planning stages, and this forum is amazingly full of great info.
We intend to walk from Castro Urdiales to Laredo in 2 stages (we're trying to keep to an average of 15km per day).
Initially, using the Buen Camino app, I had selected a stop at El Pontarron.
However I read on this forum that it would be better to stay elsewhere.
So I picked the Fernanda Inn at Rioseco (Guriezo). The Buen Camino app shows the Camino then continuing on to Lugarejos, Liendo, and then Laredo. Gronze shows a route that goes from El Pontarron to Liendo, following I believe N634.
So if we stay at Rioseco, we have the option of backtracking to El Pontarron, and then following N634, which would be 16.2km according to Gronze from Rioseco to Laredo. Or we could continue on to Lugarejos (dotted line on Gronze), which is 17.6km from Rioseco to Laredo. The Buen Camino app shows yet another path, crossing the N634 after Liendo towards the coast before getting to Laredo, which would be 19.3km from Rioseco to Laredo.
As we're trying to limit the distance, we're tempted to take N634, but what would be the deciding factor is if following the N634 means that we would be on asphalt all the time, and following the dotted line in Gronze or the Buen Camino app line would be on nicer/more scenic paths.
I would be grateful if anyone who has experienced any of these options could share their opinion.
Thank you!
Cheers
Andrew

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Andrew,

I was surprised to see that the Gronze schematic map shows a non-coastal path from Liendo to Laredo (in addition to the N-634 option). I took the long loop into Liendo, through La Magdalena and just followed the arrows from there and it took me eastward a bit, to the Ermita San Julián, and then up along the coast. I am so anti-asphalt that I will always walk longer to avoid it, but when the reward is being on the coast, it is really a no brainer to me. Anytime the camino goes along the N-634 it is always on asphalt, you can count on that. And it does that very often on the Norte. I am not sure what route the Buen Camino app shows, but you could compare it to the tracks I followed. https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=16292260

Now about the loop after Rioseco, I never did see the turnoff for the Lugarejos "shortcut" but maybe I wasn't paying attention. All the way to Magdalena is on asphalt, though it is very untraveled. From La Magdalena, things get much nicer, up through a eucalyptus forest (not my favorite, but the surface is nice!) and then down to Liendo again on a road, but the countryside is quite nice.

Good luck with the planning! Laurie

My wife and I are still in the planning stages, and this forum is amazingly full of great info.
We intend to walk from Castro Urdiales to Laredo in 2 stages (we're trying to keep to an average of 15km per day).
Initially, using the Buen Camino app, I had selected a stop at El Pontarron.
However I read on this forum that it would be better to stay elsewhere.
So I picked the Fernanda Inn at Rioseco (Guriezo). The Buen Camino app shows the Camino then continuing on to Lugarejos, Liendo, and then Laredo. Gronze shows a route that goes from El Pontarron to Liendo, following I believe N634.
So if we stay at Rioseco, we have the option of backtracking to El Pontarron, and then following N634, which would be 16.2km according to Gronze from Rioseco to Laredo. Or we could continue on to Lugarejos (dotted line on Gronze), which is 17.6km from Rioseco to Laredo. The Buen Camino app shows yet another path, crossing the N634 after Liendo towards the coast before getting to Laredo, which would be 19.3km from Rioseco to Laredo.
As we're trying to limit the distance, we're tempted to take N634, but what would be the deciding factor is if following the N634 means that we would be on asphalt all the time, and following the dotted line in Gronze or the Buen Camino app line would be on nicer/more scenic paths.
I would be grateful if anyone who has experienced any of these options could share their opinion.
Thank you!
Cheers
Andrew

Just had another idea -- you could continue at Pontorron along the road and stop at Oriñón, which is just about 3 km further on (that means no need to backtrack from Rioseco). As a beach place, I assume it has a lot of private accommodation. From there, you could take the route that Luka reported up to the coast and into Laredo. She got out to the coast before Liendo and joined up with the camino a few kms after Oriñón. If you can't find her post or if this doesn't make sense, let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just had another idea -- you could continue at Pontorron along the road and stop at Oriñón, which is just about 3 km further on (that means no need to backtrack from Rioseco). As a beach place, I assume it has a lot of private accommodation. From there, you could take the route that Luka reported up to the coast and into Laredo. She got out to the coast before Liendo and joined up with the camino a few kms after Oriñón. If you can't find her post or if this doesn't make sense, let me know. Buen camino, Laurie

@peregrina2000 Laurie, I am looking at all these options for this stretch of the Norte, and I have now sorted out all the details I need. I have even found possible accommodation for the various options.
The coastal route taken by @Luka sounds amazing, but then if I go to the website you refer to with the GPS tracks, which is one by Ray y Rosa, they have a qualification for this route: "Tramo muy peligroso ", very dangerous section. I guess they refer to the steep climb and then the steep descent of that mountain Luka refers to, and which you have added to your document on the alternatives. What I would love to know is if this ascent and descent requires mountain climbing skills, in particular climbing over the ridge.
I have attached two screen shots from Google Earth of the area, one zooming in on the ridgeScreenshot_20180408-200808.pngScreenshot_20180408-200831.png.
Hopefully Luka reads this and allays our concerns about the "muy peligroso".
Buen Camino
Andrew

Hi, AJ,
Ray y Rosa have a contact button on their website, why don't you just email them directly?
Luka pops onto the forum every now and then, you could leave her a PM.

And yes, I assume that her post describes the part Ray and Rosa refer to as peligroso. For anyone else who is trying to figure out this option, here is LUka's post from another thread that AJ and I are referring to:

"You need to pass the split to Liendo and stay on the N634 till El Pontarrón (there is a bar). After the bar on a roundabout you take a stoney dirthpath to your right which goes underneath the A8 (high up above you). There is a split a bit further on, take the right path. That path leads you to Oriñón. You follow the carretera after Oriñón (quiet road with a green painted footpath on the right). That will take you to the beach. Before the beach there is a small path going up on the mountain on your left with a sign: Laredo 9km, 3.15h. Just follow that (steep!) path until you have climbed about 200 meters. The views from the top are stunning! Then just keep on following that path and go (steep) down on the other side. There are painted markers on rocks. After that mountain the path meanders on (with permanent seaviews) until la érmita de San Julián where you'll join the Camino again."

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, do these wikiloc tracks seem to be what Luka was describing, or at least part of it? It looks so beautiful, would love to get back to try this.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/orinon-liendo-11247521

Hi, AJ,
Ray y Rosa have a contact button on their website, why don't you just email them directly?
Luka pops onto the forum every now and then, you could leave her a PM.

And yes, I assume that her post describes the part Ray and Rosa refer to as peligroso. For anyone else who is trying to figure out this option, here is LUka's post from another thread that AJ and I are referring to:

"You need to pass the split to Liendo and stay on the N634 till El Pontarrón (there is a bar). After the bar on a roundabout you take a stoney dirthpath to your right which goes underneath the A8 (high up above you). There is a split a bit further on, take the right path. That path leads you to Oriñón. You follow the carretera after Oriñón (quiet road with a green painted footpath on the right). That will take you to the beach. Before the beach there is a small path going up on the mountain on your left with a sign: Laredo 9km, 3.15h. Just follow that (steep!) path until you have climbed about 200 meters. The views from the top are stunning! Then just keep on following that path and go (steep) down on the other side. There are painted markers on rocks. After that mountain the path meanders on (with permanent seaviews) until la érmita de San Julián where you'll join the Camino again."

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, do these wikiloc tracks seem to be what Luka was describing, or at least part of it? It looks so beautiful, would love to get back to try this.

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/orinon-liendo-11247521

Hello Laurie,
Those wikiloc tracks have beautiful photos, which I showed my wife.
I have contacted Ray and Rosa, and also sent a PM to Luka, so I just have to wait on their advice.
We're definitely tempted!
Buen Camino!
Andrew

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Luka here! I just sent AJGuillaume a DM. I can as well post the pictures here, to get an idea. The first Google earth shot looks rather accurate, however in my memory the path was closer to el Ojo del Diablo. I find it hard to tell how dangerous it is. It is not your occasional Camino path and of course you have to be careful with the descent, hiking poles (which I didn't have) help a lot, but I think as a mountain walk it wouldn't be considered more than average. And you shouldn't have vertigo like me...

The climb

On the summit

After the descent

Looking back at the mountain a bit further away

Thank you @Luka ! That's really helpful!
It's the bit coming back down that we need to consider...
:)

Hi, Luka here! I just sent AJGuillaume a DM. I can as well post the pictures here, to get an idea. The first Google earth shot looks rather accurate, however in my memory the path was closer to el Ojo del Diablo. I find it hard to tell how dangerous it is. It is not your occasional Camino path and of course you have to be careful with the descent, hiking poles (which I didn't have) help a lot, but I think as a mountain walk it wouldn't be considered more than average. And you shouldn't have vertigo like me...

The climb

On the summit

After the descent

Looking back at the mountain a bit further away
@Luka - thank you for this. I will be there next week and will definitely be doing this route if the weather is right!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Luka - thank you for this. I will be there next week and will definitely be doing this route if the weather is right!
@cronnik , make sure the weather is good.
We attempted a trial climb to get an idea the afternoon before we were to walk to Laredo. But as we were approaching the Ojo del Diablo, a storm came through, and everything became wet and slippery. There's nothing to hold you back if you slip.
So we walked around Monte Candina: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-castro-urdiales-and-laredo.45432/post-664289

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.