• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castrojeriz to Rabanal

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I am in the planning stages of a 3 week camino on the Camino de Frances and know I will not complete the entire route. I was thinking to “jump” from Castrojeriz to Rabanal but not sure how to do this and even if this is possible using public transport? Any advice or suggestions are welcome as I continue to plan my 3 weeks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not really easy. You can go Burgos to Astorga by train or Burgos to Leon or to Ponferrada.

There is bus in Castrojerez that leaves in the late afternoon to Fromista. You can get to Fromista and then switch to a train to Astorga.

The sma towns may only have a once a day service and it may be on a privately owned bus service not Alsa so you have a have to search that out. The more connections, the more likely you will miss something.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took a train from Fromista to Leon
would up being a 'whole day' affair
1st train Fromista to Palencia was at 12:09PM; I believe i sat in Palencia for close to 3 hours and then took a train to Leon around 4:00PM arriving to Leon about 35 mins later
Granted you want to go to Astorga so it may not apply....

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on this strange path I am trying to pull off. From what I am gathering it is looking less direct a one train route. I could add another day of walking in the Meseta from Castrojeriz to Frómista. Then catch a train from Frómista to Palencia then transfer to a train to León and then another to Astorga? I really was hoping to walk the Meseta but maybe I need to let this go. It seems Burgos to León is the more seamless “jump”. Maybe letting go is a part of my camino journey?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on this strange path I am trying to pull off. From what I am gathering it is looking less direct a one train route. I could add another day of walking in the Meseta from Castrojeriz to Frómista. Then catch a train from Frómista to Palencia then transfer to a train to León and then another to Astorga? I really was hoping to walk the Meseta but maybe I need to let this go. It seems Burgos to León is the more seamless “jump”. Maybe letting go is a part of my camino journey?
I will say that the early-morning walk out of Castrojeriz in October 2018 was a highlight of my Camino. First you walk through dark town and catch views of the misty plain, then step onto the plain and spot the ridge you’ll climb far ahead, washed in the sun’s first light. Tall Lombardy poplars mark low sots in the plain, and the blue-grey mist turns patchy. Other pilgrims murmur Buen Camino as you encounter them, and stops on the long diagonal traverse up the ridge reward you with views of sunlight moving over the landscape, faster and faster as the shadows recede and mist evaporates. A lot of people stop at the top to rest and enjoy the vast and glorious sight. Can you pick up a bus from a later town?

I am in the planning stages of a 3 week camino on the Camino de Frances and know I will not complete the entire route. I was thinking to “jump” from Castrojeriz to Rabanal but not sure how to do this and even if this is possible using public transport? Any advice or suggestions are welcome as I continue to plan my 3 weeks.
Burgos to Santiago is a comfortable 3 weeks walking, takes in the delightful cliff outside Castrojerez, and avoids wasting valuable walking time wrestling with public transport. Damn sight easier to plan too: get to Burgos, walk….
Happy planning

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Something else to confuse you even more
A gentleman in my hostel inBurgos took the train from Burgos to Sahagun and then started walking Meseta from there
this way he hit the symbolical 1/2 mileage marker isuhahagun

There appears to be only 1 bus a week from Astorga to Rabanal del Camino. It leaves on Fridays at 13.30 and costs 2.8 Euros.

I agree with the others; start closer to Santiago and allow plenty of time. If you get there early you can carry on to Finisterre or Muxia

I agree heartily with Thebee6's description. A Camino highlight. Wouldn't want to miss it next time unless my knees balk at the steep downhill descent on the far side. Buen Camino
Yes, I’ve seen the photos but missed it twice on my bike, following the advice to stick to the road. But next time I’m going up there come what may.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There appears to be only 1 bus a week from Astorga to Rabanal del Camino. It leaves on Fridays at 13.30 and costs 2.8 Euros.

I agree with the others; start closer to Santiago and allow plenty of time. If you get there early you can carry on to Finisterre or Muxia
I know there’s a bus on Tuesdays, because it’s market day in Astorga and the villagers travel from Rabanal and , of course all places on the way down and return, if I remember well, at 13.30.

Have you already gone? I walked two days on the Meseta out of Burgos to Castrojeriz. A taxi took me to the bus stop at the next village (5 min ride), and I took a bus from there to León. It was easy and highly recommended.

Have you already gone? I walked two days on the Meseta out of Burgos to Castrojeriz. A taxi took me to the bus stop at the next village (5 min ride), and I took a bus from there to León. It was easy and highly recommended.
It's been almost six months since the OP inquired.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m sorry. I just joined and saw this. Responded just in case the info was still needed.
Welcome to the forum! Yes, it is very easy to not notice the dates on threads. In particular, you need to watch out for the "similar threads" that are suggested by the forum software.

You will soon get used to it.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back