• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Castromaior

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I was just updating my blog, and ran across these photos. I wonder how many of you who have walked the Camino Frances have taken the time to walk the turnoff to Castromaior?

As you walked toward Palas de Rei from Portomarin, you will come across the archaeological site. Here is what the internet says about this ancient Celtic site.

This partially-excavated hill fortification lies beside the Way of St James and is believed to have been occupied up until approximately the 1st century. It stands an a small knoll offering a panoramic view of the Miño's right bank; however, as this was not rough terrain, a number of defensive elements had to be constructed, giving this settlement its unique character.
An intricate system of ditches, walls, embankments and palisades surrounded the access to the village of houses with straight, regular walls, grouped into neighborhoods. An interpretive center and museum is eventually planned for the site.

I promise, it's worth a stop!

I IMG_8173.jpgwonder

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bypassed it my first year as I was completely soaked and just wanted to continue trudging toward the Xunta in Hospital. Early this year I made the ever so slight detour and wandered about the site for about 30 minutes. Well worth it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Missed it. Twice. 😔
Thank you, Annie. If there's ever a next time on that part of the Frances I won't miss it again.
On the Invierno there are at least 3 castros close to the camino - one of which (in Fion) overlooks the Miño just downriver of his one.

I completely agree. I also passed on by, the first time, but another year, I checked it out. As stated, it is very close to the camino and very much worth the short detour. However, I hope too many people don't trample the site - I felt almost guilty to be walking around in such a good archaeological site.

However, I hope too many people don't trample the site - I felt almost guilty to be walking around in such a good archaeological site.

Similar thoughts sort of passed through my head. In a way I felt kind of grateful it wasn't on the actual path and I was comforted to not see any graffiti.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friend and I visited this site last year. As you say well worth a visit and we were the only two there.

Missed it. Is it before or after Donas de Vilar, which is a very worthwhile side trip?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for posting this! We might have missed it otherwise, but will be to look out for it when we pass that way in a few weeks.

You will see signs and an info board on the LEFT side of the path. I believe it's between Gonzar and Hospital. You can see it on Brierley's Stage 30 map (on mine anyway). It is a GREAT place for a picnic and rest. To get back to the trail, you don't have to backtrack. You can just keep going alongside the ruins and will eventually come again to a short trail to the right, back to the Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was just updating my blog, and ran across these photos. I wonder how many of you who have walked the Camino Frances have taken the time to walk the turnoff to Castromaior?

As you walked toward Palas de Rei from Portomarin, you will come across the archaeological site. Here is what the internet says about this ancient Celtic site.

This partially-excavated hill fortification lies beside the Way of St James and is believed to have been occupied up until approximately the 1st century. It stands an a small knoll offering a panoramic view of the Miño's right bank; however, as this was not rough terrain, a number of defensive elements had to be constructed, giving this settlement its unique character.
An intricate system of ditches, walls, embankments and palisades surrounded the access to the village of houses with straight, regular walls, grouped into neighborhoods. An interpretive center and museum is eventually planned for the site.

I View attachment 64560wonder
You sure know the Camino Annie, thanks! I will try to check this out in November.

You will see signs and an info board on the LEFT side of the path. I believe it's between Gonzar and Hospital. You can see it on Brierley's Stage 30 map (on mine anyway). It is a GREAT place for a picnic and rest. To get back to the trail, you don't have to backtrack. You can just keep going alongside the ruins and will eventually come again to a short trail to the right, back to the Camino.
I just checked Brierley maps that I have on my Kindle. It is stage 30 and it is the location you said. In fact it clearly shows the location on his map.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-102436.png
    Screenshot_20190910-102436.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I vividly remember walking past it it on my last Frances, pausing and asking myself "Should I?", and then deciding "Nope!".... I was just too eager to keep on keeping on.... Have regretted that ever since..... Surely worth a look.

That said, I suspect that what is visible today is entirely the result of modern excavation; and that no medieval Camino pilgrim would have known of it or paid it any attention.

I was tger

I View attachment 64560wonder
I was there today - and last year too - it is still in great shape and well worth the very small detour. Most of the tour groups on this section just walk past it - even those with guides. In Ventas de Nardon tonight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
and it's only 5 minutes from the Camino, with lots of signage so you can't get lost and you don't have to backtrack to get back on the Camino!
agree 100% well worth the short detour
But it is uphill... (sigh...)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do... it after all is on the top of a hill, no doubt for defensive reasons..

I guess I'm younger and more fit than you.
I don't remember any particular climb ::laughing and ducking::: ;)
It wasn’t a big climb and it came on top of a substantial bit of uphill path anyway...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The day I walked that stage I had it all to myself. I am not sure if everyone else just missed it or didn’t want to make the slight detour. At any rate I thought it was interesting and I had a great time wandering around before heading back to the trail.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Visited the site yesterday and Vilar do Donas today.

Thanks to this thread, we knew about the castro and had a great visit yesterday in an hour of rare sunshine! What a treasure this site is.

For anyone wondering how to find the fort, I’ve attached a photo from our Wikiloc track.
539C8A78-B3AE-469E-8ADE-1DC8D33F6BC7.jpeg
The red line is our track along the Camino (and also our detour to the fort). The green circle is the village of Castromaior. The yellow circle is the detour. Leave the Camino at the point marked by the black arrow, 750 meters from the village. Walk uphill to your left 210 meters and you are at the castro (inside the yellow circle). You can walk all the way around on the walls and exit where you came in, as we did, or you can walk down from the wall at the west end and use the track there to rejoin the Camino.
8ADF8392-31CA-4C82-97CE-FEA5DB8FB397.jpeg
More photos on today’s journal page.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.