• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Catalan information if possible..

Happy Hiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013 )
Via de la Plata ( March 2016 & Sept 2019)
My wife & I have done 2 Caminos & are now considering the Catalan to Logrono in mid Sept. I am having difficulty in finding maps & distances between villages for accommodation. We like to average about 25klms a day & being seniors we look for cheap hotels or private rooms if available. Otherwise Hostels are fine. Any info will be really appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife & I have done 2 Caminos & are now considering the Catalan to Logrono in mid Sept. I am having difficulty in finding maps & distances between villages for accommodation. We like to average about 25klms a day & being seniors we look for cheap hotels or private rooms if available. Otherwise Hostels are fine. Any info will be really appreciated.
Hi, Happy Hiker,

Here is a list of accommodations on the route through Huesca, up to San Juan de la Peña, and down to the Camino Aragonés. It is published and updated by the Catalán Amics group.

This is the route LT and I walked, but I see you want to go through Logroño. The two routes split around Tarrega I think, which is only about 100 km from Montserrat, so this document won’t be much help if you walk the other route. I haven´t walked the Lérida-Zaragoza-Logroño branch, but we made our decision to take the Huesca alternative based on the recommendations of forum members. I can’t compare it to the Logroño alternative, but maybe some can. I will say that the part from Huesca and beyond was really pretty, and being able to visit San Juan de la Peña was a highlight. I have posted our stages on an earlier thread in the forum, but they may be longer than you want to walk.

Buen camino, Laurie

This thread (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lleida-to-logroño.59146/ ) might be of some help in taking you up to Gallur. After that, gronze.com (https://www.gronze.com/camino-ebro ) and mundicamino (http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/21/ruta-del-ebro/ ) will be your friends. You will find these sites as helpful as can be, but there is little traffic on this route -- I encountered only two other pilgrims when I was on the Tarrega-Gallur stretch-- and so not a lot of information. My other notes on the del Ebro can be found at this link (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-september-catalan-ebro.44186/ ).

I loved walking by the Ebro and perhaps one of these days might do the Gallur-Logrono stretch. This is a really interesting and very Spanish part of Spain. The people are very helpful toward pilgrims-- turismos, ayuntamientos, police, and clergy were all warm and supportive, as was pretty well every restauranteur and barkeep. Watch your water, and you'll have a great time.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This thread (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lleida-to-logroño.59146/ ) might be of some help in taking you up to Gallur. After that, gronze.com (https://www.gronze.com/camino-ebro ) and mundicamino (http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/21/ruta-del-ebro/ ) will be your friends. You will find these sites as helpful as can be, but there is little traffic on this route -- I encountered only two other pilgrims when I was on the Tarrega-Gallur stretch-- and so not a lot of information. My other notes on the del Ebro can be found at this link (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-september-catalan-ebro.44186/ ).

I loved walking by the Ebro and perhaps one of these days might do the Gallur-Logrono stretch. This is a really interesting and very Spanish part of Spain. The people are very helpful toward pilgrims-- turismos, ayuntamientos, police, and clergy were all warm and supportive, as was pretty well every restauranteur and barkeep. Watch your water, and you'll have a great time.
I was hoping you would give your opinions here! I have walked the Castellano-Aragonés, one of my very favorites, so I walked from Zaragoza to Gallur, but I will have to look at a map to figure out how that intersects with the Catalán, Ebro, etc.

As I am busy procrastinating getting my presentation on routes ready for tomorrow's Ottawa Camino101, I of course went checking on accommodation on the Ebro stretch. I would suggest to Happy Hiker that they augment the use of Mundicamino and Gronze by google-mapping each of the towns or pueblos where they might be staying. The google maps site shows accomodation and restaurants, and I have double checked a few towns against what Mundicamino and Gronze have offered, and found several pensions and reasonable hostales not mentioned.

As there are not a lot of guidebooks for spots such as these, they might want to supplement what they can find with Spanish tourism or local tourism sites; provincial centres in Spain have an astonishing degree of cultural activity, and they might want to think of enjoying that if they are taking it slowly.

And I hope that they report back to us-- there are so few sources on the back Caminos that any practical tips which can be shared, will be of great use to future pilgrims.

Thank you to you all for your rapid replies. I will have to take some time to read & digest it all & then come up with a plan. I will definitely stay with the forum & give plenty of feedback if we get to do it.. Thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am now walking this route for the second time. If you look in the Catalan Camino sub forum you will find a review of our journey last spring. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Catalunya was quite nice at the end of September, since fruits are ripe and many towns celebrate.
It's lonely, but sometimes you meet people walking the opposite direction.
Lleida - Ebro is very dry and deserted.
Along the Ebro vegetation is better, but passing industrial areas is also common. Your are often close to the motorway (AP-2) or the national N-II. Bujaraloz to Pina de Ebro is the longest day, since no accomodation in between and only a petrol station and a restaurant for provisions.

I liked the route via Huesca more.

Great idea. Thanks. Peg and I are having thoughts of walking a camino in this area in September/October too.
Good afternoon, My husband, Bil, and I are starting from Montserrat September 28th so if you are starting ahead of us I look forward to your observations. We are doing the route which includes Ena.
Buen Camino

Good afternoon, My husband, Bil, and I are starting from Montserrat September 28th so if you are starting ahead of us I look forward to your observations. We are doing the route which includes Ena.
Buen Camino
So sorry but I'll have to read your notes; I'll be about 3 weeks behind you. My plan is to start walking from the beach in Barcelona on October 19 with two or three days to get to Montserrat. I think Ena is on my camino too. I want to get to San Juan de la Pena which I missed my last time in Spain.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello again, As this is my first Camino supported by the forum, I will be posting occasionally if I find anything I think is relevant/interesting. This is just my third Camino and my husband’s eighth and at the moment my major concern is the “markings”.
It is great to be able to read about those who walk before us!
Gina from Canada

It looks like I may be the one passing along notes.

I am planning to do a coast to coast Camino combination beginning around September 17th on the beach in Barcelona on the Cami Romeu to Monserrat, then on the Camino San Jaume to Santa Cecilia (arrival 10/2+/-). Then Camino Aragones to Puente La Reina (arrival 10/7+/-) Camino Frances to Santiago (11/5+/-) and then continue on to the beach in Muxia.

So far the best resource for the route from Montserrat to San Juan de la Peña I have found is:

I am still exploring it and it gets better the more I study it. You will find elevations for the stages, a general description of the stage, turn by turn directions, a what to see and do section, and a section on the difficulties of the stage. The only negative is that I don’t see a good map of the route. Of special note, there is an option to print out the guide, and they recommend printing a few days before you set off as they update it regularly.

As far as services, etc. on the first part of your journey do be sure to check out the information provided here: http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/camino-catalan-por-san-juan-de-la-pena. Be sure to look carefully to see where food is available and be prepared to carry food when necessary (for example en route to Ena). It can be quite limited, but doable, at times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be sure to look carefully to see where food is available and be prepared to carry food when necessary (for example en route to Ena). It can be quite limited, but doable, at times.

Thanks for your input.

After more study, I have decided to take the route that goes through Zaragoza. It appears that there is more support on that route and since I am traveling solo, I feel more comfortable with that choice. Also, having walked the Argonés from Oloron St. Marie, I hadn’t already seen San Juan de la Peña, Leyre Monastery, Castillo de Javier and Foz de Lumbier, it would be a more difficult decision.

I’ve come across a number of different resources as I am researching the route and will post them under a new topic in the Camino Catalan/Cami Sant Jaume forum to make them easier for others to find. Please add any additional resources that you have to that list.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back