• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Catastrophe in Bilbao

WhitSF

Time of past OR future Camino
(July/August 2014 - SJPD to Santiago)
My cousin (her first trip out of the country) and I arrived in Bilbao this morning. We made our way to the Termibus, bought a PESA ticket, and then walked toward the Guggenheim for a bit.

When we arrived back to the bus station, we placed our packs under the bus (not enough room in the bus). We walked to the door of the bus when all of a sudden I told my cousin to go check on our bags (that we had left 20 seconds prior) ... Her entire pack was gone. Vanished.

The bus left without us. We've been filing a police report, trying to get PESA to take ANY responsibility (they won't) and figure out how my cousin will walk the next 5.5 weeks, missing everything.

Lucky for us, we also met two complete angels in the course of this ordeal who have dug up on old sleeping bag (a gagillion pounds), an old backpack with no bells and whistles (not even a hip strap), a nice camp towel, some clothes & socks, a hat, some hiking shorts, and a new toothbrush. AND a free place to stay & shower tonight.

We're at Decathlon now, trying to outfit her again.

ARGH.

but we're staying positive!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
DON'T EVER LEAVE ANYTHING UNATTTENDED! Having said that you can easily ($$) reequip in either SJPdP or Pamplona "Do not pass GO, do not collect $200!

Do you mean 'in the hold' under the bus, or literally under the bus waiting to be loaded? This is a sad way to start your camino and could be a cause for concern if it was taken from the hold. We have never had a problem, but the driver has always been overseeing the packs, although I have wondered what could happen at stops along the route (between Lugo and Ribadeo, not around the Norte).

Trust that you will get sorted and onto the Camino asap.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
DON'T EVER LEAVE ANYTHING UNATTTENDED! Having said that you can easily ($$) reequip in either SJPdP or Pamplona "Do not pass GO, do not collect $200!
My apologies WhitSF. The last thing you need right now is a "scolding". It was meant to be a reminder!

It was IN THE HOLD. On the bus. Inside/underneath with all the other luggage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Same as the above, so sorry. But well done for staying positive. Hope the rest of your camino will be trouble free.

Oh wow, I am so sorry to read this. Less than a week ago we took the bus from Bilbao to San Vicente de la Barquera for our start on the Camino Lebaniego. It was a local bus with lots of stops, and I remember remarking to my wife that I'm always a little uneasy at stops because it would be so easy for someone to walk off with our packs from the luggage hold; from inside the bus we'd never notice.
Small consolation: If you have homeowner or tenant insurance it may cover replacement of your things. And remember, they are just things.
Keep that positive attitude going. You'll have a great camino.
Dan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have to put your packs in the hold, or can you carry them on board the bus?

I'm taking a bus from Madrid all the way to SJPP and there are stops on the route. Do we have to put it in luggage? That's awful! I can't imagine how frustrating that can be!

Do you have to put your packs in the hold, or can you carry them on board the bus?
Back packs go in the hold underneath. Generally safe. I don't think I've heard of it happening before. So sorry for the OP. Very disheartening. Is there a possibility that someone took the wrong luggage as they departed and a recovery may happen?

Often the bus fills and no room for luggage. Plus it can 'grot up' the interior if people dumped them on seats etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My cousin (her first trip out of the country) and I arrived in Bilbao this morning. We made our way to the Termibus, bought a PESA ticket, and then walked toward the Guggenheim for a bit.

When we arrived back to the bus station, we placed our packs under the bus (not enough room in the bus). We walked to the door of the bus when all of a sudden I told my cousin to go check on our bags (that we had left 20 seconds prior) ... Her entire pack was gone. Vanished.

The bus left without us. We've been filing a police report, trying to get PESA to take ANY responsibility (they won't) and figure out how my cousin will walk the next 5.5 weeks, missing everything.

Lucky for us, we also met two complete angels in the course of this ordeal who have dug up on old sleeping bag (a gagillion pounds), an old backpack with no bells and whistles (not even a hip strap), a nice camp towel, some clothes & socks, a hat, some hiking shorts, and a new toothbrush. AND a free place to stay & shower tonight.

ARGH.

Stay strong :)

We always ask the driver and make sure that the driver stows the packs, then we push them further in to be really awkward to reach. No consolation to you now but maybe a tip for the future. Hopefully you are able to find all you need and recover quickly from such a bad start.
Buen Camino

so sorry that your camino started out with a LOSS ... - it will be all replaceable - and you already have encountered angels!

as an aside and note: when i read the headline: Catastrophe in Bilbao -
my first thought went to another ETA bomb attack that killed/maimed people or a train-derailment as last year in SdC.
what you / your cousin experienced is most unfortunate, a loss of things - not limb or life ... catastrophe is a category far removed from that scenario you described under such headline, even though i completely appreciate how disheartening it must feel to you and your cousin.

do not loose heart - life offers multiple blows in all sort of forms, none very amusing to experience and many very very painful on various levels ... but you can proceed with the camino! just not with the stuff that was bought by your cousin.
acknowledging facts/realities and being able to stay positive is a marvelous quality to have .... proceed with confidence .... more angels are on their way!
very best wishes,
c

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey, been thinking about you all day and hoping and praying for the best. It's made me really think about, what do you do when you Camino home if you will, goes missing? I think I may have found a small and most importantly light weight option! http://www.thetileapp.com/
Don't know the actual weight of the tile, but it certainly looks light enough. If you watch the video I think it looks like it would be a perfect way to track you pack pretty quickly. Does anyone else have any intel on this App and or gadget?? It's only $19.95 for one..less if you buy a few so may be a perfect solution. Would love to hear what others think!

ARGH.

That is my concern to ! Sitting on the bus and your luggage unattended in the luggagestorage underneath you.
It is an old fashioned, stupid system but you see it everywhere in Spain even on a local bus ,taking in people at every busstop and opening the luggagecompartment for people coming from the market with bags ,prams and so on. As we experienced 6 week ago going from Ferrol to Valdoviño after finishing the camino Ingles. So my wife or I stayed nearby the luggage as long as the luggagecompartment was opened to keep an eye on it.
Those buses you don't see in our area . Your luggage is inside with you.
Wish you strength and buen camino.

Hey, been thinking about you all day and hoping and praying for the best. It's made me really think about, what do you do when you Camino home if you will, goes missing? I think I may have found a small and most importantly light weight option! http://www.thetileapp.com/
Don't know the actual weight of the tile, but it certainly looks light enough. If you watch the video I think it looks like it would be a perfect way to track you pack pretty quickly. Does anyone else have any intel on this App and or gadget?? It's only $19.95 for one..less if you buy a few so may be a perfect solution. Would love to hear what others think!

ksam, might well work whenever thetileapp company actually gets round to actually delivering them to those of us who have ordered them. I've been involved with the tileapp gizmo since kickstarter days and have had number of them ordered but have yet to have even one delivered!

manaña methinks it will, perhaps, be a useful addition to ones possessions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts and words. I agree, catastrophe was quite a strong word when the loss was truly only monetary and a bit of time.

My cousin, Hannah, dealt with this incredibly unfortunate situation better than I or anyone else would've. It's only 36 hours later and she's as good as new, with an incredibly positive attitude and a great story :)

We're staying the night in St Jean tonight and wondering if this incredible thunder & lightning will accompany us on our first day of walking tomorrow!

Buen Camino everyone!

so sorry that your camino started out with a LOSS ... - it will be all replaceable - and you already have encountered angels!

as an aside and note: when i read the headline: Catastrophe in Bilbao -
my first thought went to another ETA bomb attack that killed/maimed people or a train-derailment as last year in SdC.
what you / your cousin experienced is most unfortunate, a loss of things - not limb or life ... catastrophe is a category far removed from that scenario you described under such headline, even though i completely appreciate how disheartening it must feel to you and your cousin.

do not loose heart - life offers multiple blows in all sort of forms, none very amusing to experience and many very very painful on various levels ... but you can proceed with the camino! just not with the stuff that was bought by your cousin.
acknowledging facts/realities and being able to stay positive is a marvelous quality to have .... proceed with confidence .... more angels are on their way!
very best wishes,
c
I was not aware of the events in SdC last year but I think critiquing vocab usage should probably be best left unsaid even "as an aside and note" when someone's going through a tough situation. Glad you're on your way Whitney! Buen Camino

I was not aware of the events in SdC last year but I think critiquing vocab usage should probably be best left unsaid even "as an aside and note" when someone's going through a tough situation. Glad you're on your way Whitney! Buen Camino
I agree we do not always have to be PC with language or indure a lecture when not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Semantics and the differences in the usage of languages between countries (supposedly with a language in common) is always going to cause problems and misunderstandings.
One person's perceived affront to the rules of political correctness in one culture is, in another country, only a mildly humorous comment (pax Gerard!).
I encountered this to my own cost in California one year.
I used an expression of no particular consequence in Britain but it provoked shock amongst my American hosts which took a lot of explaining and smoothing of ruffled feathers before the kerfuffle settled down.
"catastrophe" (from the Greek meaning a "down turning" as in an unfortunate occurrence) maybe one person's apocalyptic disaster but to another it can just be a burnt omelette!
You might be affronted by someone's use of words but take in on the chin and don't try and give that person a sermon about your perceived misuse of a word.
Go with the flow - life's too short to do otherwise.
edit
Damn - now I've just delivered a sermon:)

Last edited:
We plan and think so much about getting the "perfect" gear for the Camino. This is a good reminder that (a) it is just stuff, don't sweat it (b) you can buy pretty much everything you need in France or Spain (c) making a good Camino is not all about preparation and (c) expect the unexpected.

And bravo to those "who would valiant be, 'gainst all disaster" ... "There's no discouragement" !

Heard of this in South America. I always try to sit over the hold on the side my pack is on

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, another good reason for travelling light, minimal gear. Small pack, always with you wherever you go, no need to stow in the hold. Even on crowded buses can carry it on your lap.
As far as the argument as to whether it was a "catastrophe" or not - I wonder how those who dismissed it would feel if all their stuff went missing? And for all it's "just stuff" - it's not only the monetary value which is lost......

On most buses they're going to make you stow it in the hold

Anything under about 25 litres should be OK to carry on with you, But hardly anyone has such a small pack, so if you can't cut down, then take the risk.
PS. and don't leave your pack outside the cafe whilst you have your coffee/beer/whatever inside, as Martin Sheen found to his cost....:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back packs go in the hold underneath. Generally safe. I don't think I've heard of it happening before. So sorry for the OP. Very disheartening. Is there a possibility that someone took the wrong luggage as they departed and a recovery may happen?

Often the bus fills and no room for luggage. Plus it can 'grot up' the interior if people dumped them on seats etc.
I once had a suitcase that was one that many others had; I arrived in Madrid from the U.S. and, when I went to get my luggage, it was gone but I noticed that one just like it was there. A woman had mistakenly taken mine and left hers and she apparently realized this when she got home. My bag was delivered to the hotel the next day and everything was intact. I hope our victims here have the same luck.

Hi so sorry to hear about your problems and please dont let it ruin your Camino experience. Take care and stay safe xx

Hopefully you can put this experience behind you and enjoy the rest of your Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We're staying the night in St Jean tonight and wondering if this incredible thunder & lightning will accompany us on our first day of walking tomorrow!
How were the first couple of days with the new gear? Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back