• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Catching the last train to SJPP

Alishoa

The window between the arrival of the TGV from Paris in Bayonne and the last tarin for SJPP is 10 minutes! What has been your luck catching it?

I am about to purchase a ticket from Paris to SJPP but I don't want to loose the ticket if 1) my flight in from Chicago is delayed or 2) the 10 minute window is too short!

Would some one share his/her experience with me and/ or give advice?

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alishoa,

The 10 minute connexion in Bayonne shouldn't be a worry. Trains are normally on time in France. Where I would be worried is the time between your flight and the TGV.
Are you catching the TGV in CDG2? If so, you should be OK with a two hour span between the two.

Have a good trip!
Ciao!
Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc!

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I am flying Air Canada and arrive at 10:05 in the morning to Terminal 2A.
The train to Bayonne leaves at 13:37 from CDG TGV 2 which I think is in Terminal 3. I found these directions from terminal 2A to the TGV 2 station, but I don't know how long it will take to travel between the two:
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/fr-F ... ain.htm#a4

I have to go through customs and security so, I am really unsure about the amount of time I will need to get to the train station. That is why I hesitate to purchase a train ticket ahead of time. Do the trains to Bayonne usually sell out? I see you need a reservation.

Also, if I miss the train for some reason, there is an EasyJet flight to Biarritz at 15:05 from Terminal 3. I think doing that is way more complicated because from Biarritz I would still need to figure out a bus/train/taxi to SJPP.

Any suggestions, peregrinos?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alishoa,

Don't worry. You have ample time between your flight and TGV. But be careful, TGV station is not terminal 3. TGV is situated between terminal 2C/D and terminal 2E/F. See map here: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/Reso ... se_CDG.jpg

You can take the shuttle bus between terminals or if you have the time, you can walk to TGV. Loosen up a bit and get your legs back. You should take no more than 15 to 20 minutes to make it on foot. Once your in terminal 2C, you just follow the indications GARE TGV.
Customs are normally quick and shouldn't cause any difficulties to a Canadian.

Reservations are mandatory on the TGV. Don't go without it! It's a good service and very convenient from the airport. The transfer in Bayonne is not difficult. It's not that big a station and the trains are well posted on the big board. In France, you have to ''compost'' your ticket before boarding the train. There are little machines to that effect on the platforms. Easy to do. In any case, if you forget to do it, just make yourself known to the conductor as soon as you can on the train. They forgive strangers easily. But for the locals, it's a hefty fine awaiting them.

Need anything else? Give me a shout!

Relax and enjoy!
Ciao!
Jean-Marc

Thanks! I'm not Canadian but a citizen of the good ol' USA. Hopefully the guys at CDG will still be happy to see me and let me through quickly!

One last choice is this:

81.20 €
TGV Loisir : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'à la veille du départ, avec retenue de 10€ le jour du départ, non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.

or

96.10 €
TGV PRO 2nde : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ, sous conditions après départ.Service Pro inclus.

Services Pro

- Echange gratuit jusqu'à 1 heure après le départ du train*. Jusqu'à 60 jours après le départ, échange et remboursement avec 50% de retenue
- Service d'échange direct sur la Ligne Express Pro (3635, dire "Pro" ou taper "#01", 0,34€TTC/min)
- Bornes Echange Minute Pro dédiées en gare: échange en moins d'une minute pour le prochain départ
- Accès Dernières Minutes: si vous n'avez pas eu le temps d'échanger votre billet, votre réservation vous permet d'emprunter au dernier moment, mais sans garantie de place assise, le train précédent ou suivant, vers la même destination

* Uniquement en gare de départ entre H et H+1 pour un billet sur le prochain train au départ vers la même destination.

I'm not sure if it is worth spending the extra Euro to have 50% remboursement if I miss the train...thoughts?

Alishoa.

- Echange gratuit jusqu'à 1 heure après le départ du train*. Jusqu'à 60 jours après le départ, échange et remboursement avec 50% de retenue

* Uniquement en gare de départ entre H et H+1 pour un billet sur le prochain train au départ vers la même destination.

Oh, wait. I have 1 hour after the train leaves to reschedule and keep 100% of the cost...(or 50% within 60 days...) May that is worth the extra Euro...thoughts?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well if you're from the USofA, it's different at the Customs. Someone has to make you pay for all the gymnastics your Customs Officers make us do when we visit. :D Kidding aside, you should breeze through.
I forgot to mention, if you decide to go on foot to TGV, follow the sign ''Sortie/Baggages'' and after the customs, if I recall correctly, follow ''Terminal 2C''. Not difficult, contrary to popular belief.

As for the price of your train ticket. It depends how secure you want to feel. The 91 option gives you full reimbursement up to one hour after the train has departed. Only after that hour do you get 50%. You should be good with that option, mind the slight difference in price.

Keep on trucking,

Bon voyage,
Jean-Marc

Philippe,

Merci cousin!
Been there, got the T-shirt...many times. :twisted:

Ciao!
Jean-Marc

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, The train was kept waiting as the train from Paris was running late. I think this is the usual practice, so don't worry it will be fine
Susanna

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back