• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral Beach (Playa de las Catedrales)

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not only check the tides, as the arches are only accessible at low tide, but also in high season (from July 1st until 30th September) you need a ticket to access the beach. I found this link about reservations with English options as well as Gallego and Castellano. Well worth the trip or the walk there. If walking from Ribadeo follow the coast path and there is a good place to stay at Devesa. Back from the beach, first right under the railway, left at the roundabout and then about 50mts along on the right. Called 'O Lar de Camino' with good rooms, restaurant and cafe-bar. Walk back to pick up the Norte again next day or be adventurous and try the Camino do Mar continuing along the coast to (eventually) Ferrol.

Fabulous spot. Tide was half in (or out) when I was there so had limited access but it was still amazing. Luckily I was there in May and it was not particularly busy. It was half-way through my first stage of the Ruta do Mar, between Ribadeo and Foz.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stopped there while vacationing in Galicia last month and it was a phenomenal spot! As others said above, def check the tides and go at low tide. In addition to reservations being needed in the summer months, the same is true for Easter week.

From a trip in 2011. Unfortunately the tide was in. No need for permits then.
sorry about duplicate on 171, can't delete it.

Attachments

• 167w.jpg
    167w.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 171w.jpg
    171w.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 171w.jpg
    171w.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 175w.jpg
    175w.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 18
The permits are only needed when it is holiday season, for safety reasons. I think it is since the nearest arches were destroyed by the major storms in 2014(?). This means that to see any arches you have to now walk round the point which is only possible when the tide is well or right out. The safety team tell visitors when they need to return to ensure no-one is trapped by the tide. If the beach was overcrowded it would be almost impossible to ensure everyone could return safely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This sounds like something to try! If I'm going to stick to the Norte rather than the Ruta Del Mar, can you tell me about walking? Well marked path? Do-able as a day walk out and back from Ribadeo? How do you check the tides? Thanks.

I just went on the Internet and typed in tide table for Ribadeo, Spain. Then there was a place for me to indicate the date that I wanted to know about and the info appeared.

I will be in that area in another day or 2 and would also like to know about a coastal path to that beach.

This sounds like something to try! If I'm going to stick to the Norte rather than the Ruta Del Mar, can you tell me about walking? Well marked path? Do-able as a day walk out and back from Ribadeo? How do you check the tides? Thanks.
It's an excellent path straight from the albergue at Ribadeo, about 16km with a coffee break half way at Rinlo. Very well marked coastal path (?E9).

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=11429805

I hadn't heard about the storm damage to the arches, so the cliffs were still spectacular, but not quite as spectacular as I'd hoped. Wonderful soft sand, and a nice place for a dip in the sea, especially as I had the place to myself, so no getting stared at for swimming in November.DSC_0691.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow; what a great photo!
Ansel Adams would have loved the forms.

We found the signs good, starting ourselves at Rinlo which gave a walk of 11kms to As Catedrais . The route comes over the little bridge and turns right. When the tide is low the remaining arches can be seen and walked under.

Attachments

• rinlo.JPG
    rinlo.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 15
  • rinlo1.JPG
    rinlo1.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 11
  • as catedrais.jpg
    as catedrais.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 14
  • as catedrais2.jpg
    as catedrais2.jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 11
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks!!! Are there buses between Ribadesella and some place near the beach if not the beach itself? Or would I need a cab if I wanted to walk one way only?
There's a feve station quite near the beach which will get you to or from Ribadeo (4 trains a day in each direction on this section).

In 2011 we took the feve train from Ribadeo on an off day, then continued walking the Norte from Ribadeo. It was worth the extra day! Loved it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks!!! Are there buses between Ribadesella and some place near the beach if not the beach itself? Or would I need a cab if I wanted to walk one way only?
There should be buses to Ribadeo and I expect that buses pass through Devesa. Taking a taxi to Rinlo from Ribadeo would shorten the walk, or to As Catedrais itself if the tide times dictate that.
If taking a bus to Devesa ask to be dropped off at the O Lar de Camino, walk on towards the roundabout, turn right, walk under the FEVE and at the T junction turn left to the beach access.
If taking the FEVE - there are only 4 a day, as Alan says, so times need checking carefully.

I see you have put Ribadasella @peregrina2000 - the beach is near Ribadeo!!!

Thanks to everyone for all of the great info. I was thinking about doing this side trip on Wednesday - very timely and helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The simplest way to go there is by bus from main plaza at the center of Ribadeo.

Also, the bus ticket serves as the entry ticket to the beach. So no reservation is necessary if you have bus ticket.

This is a great suggestion. We're planning our walk, and intend to walk from Ribadeo to Vilamartin Grande (staying at Tentempe Peregrine). Following the indications of the Buen Camino app, we would normally have a 18.7km walk. So is the detour to the beach doable? As it would be off Camino, we would have to find our way back to the Camino.
Thank you
Cheers
Andrew

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest the following:-

Make sure to check the tide times for the day you expect to be there - the arches are only accessible at low tide.

From memory the walk via the coast is between 11 and 15kms (depending on how you leave Ribadeo itself) and then you have to backtrack to return to the Camino. Do not follow any yellow arrows from the beach, they are for the Camino do Mar and will take you further west along the coast. The first stage of the Camino do Mar - Ribadeo to Barreiros passes A Catedrais so will show you the route.

If you want to walk, not take a bus or taxi and need to stay the night then we can recommend O Lar de Carmiña at Devesa.

Well worth the detour/extra time IMO if the tide is right.
Buen Camino

This is a great suggestion. We're planning our walk, and intend to walk from Ribadeo to Vilamartin Grande (staying at Tentempe Peregrine). Following the indications of the Buen Camino app, we would normally have a 18.7km walk. So is the detour to the beach doable? As it would be off Camino, we would have to find our way back to the Camino.
Thank you
Cheers
Andrew
Ribadeo is where the camino turns inland and southerly, so the camino doesn't go towards or near Playa Catedrales. That means backtracking to Ribadeo unless you can find a minor road or path that goes from Catedrales in a southwest direction.

I also second Tia's opinion that it is a beautiful detour, but it is crucial to go at low tide.

We arrived in Ribadeo in afternoon and saw that the low tide would be at around 8 pm (thanks to Franco for putting Spain in a time zone that guarantees extremely late sunsets in summer). We were able to fill two taxis with pilgrims and called two taxis when we wanted to go back. About 7-8 euros per pilgrim total. Absolutely beautiful! We were there in June and there were not many people there at all. But the crowds get enormous in high summer, even with the tickets, I've been told.

Thank you for your replies, Tia Valeria and Laurie.
It looks like it might be best to do this as a side trip by taxi from Ribadeo, and as you said, depending on the tide.
We'll play it by ear :)
Edit: This is what I like about this forum, so much help! My wife and I discussed this detour, and as it breaks a stage in two parts, we might actually plan this. If the walk from Ribadeo to the beach is about 12km, we can walk that in the morning, and if the tide is not right, use the next day's morning to see the beach, as we would walk the remaining 14km to Tentempe in Vilamartin Grande in the afternoon. Thank you once again for the suggestions and advice!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If staying at Devesa, where I suggested, you walk back along the road from the beach and take the first right turn to go under the FEVE. At the roundabout turn left towards Ribadeo and the hostal/restaurante is just along the road on the right.

I suspect this might have been answered by now and never saw the question...but we took a cab.
I forgot the price, it seemed reasonable to us. I think the number was on the wall on a card at the auberge.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the coastal path from Ribadeo this year. Added a day to my Camino, 15km each way, and I have to say that coastal path was one of the most beautiful walks I have done. Simply stunning and I highly recommend it to anyone. I stayed in devesa and had the biggest steak I've ever seen!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.