• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral Noon Mass July 25

ELHS220

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: FRANCÉS-2023
Today’s Mass at the Cathedral with the Royal Family in attendance and botafumeiro at the end.

The young man who does the first reading is one of the staff members at the Pilgrim Office. I believe his name is Santiago (Santi). I worked with him both times that I was there.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Earlier today it was a personal thrill to share via the wonders of contemporary technology this celebratory mass of 25 July, 2021.
The camera work was splendid and the new views of the restored Portico de la Gloria unforgettable. ...I shall treasure the memory.

Last edited:
I am watching it now. It is wonderful! It is also very bittersweet, as I am not there. But, I will be in September. Santiago is not going anywhere.

Yes, the lector for the first reading was Santi from the ACC staff. He looked SO nervous. I have had the honor of delivering readings at Pilgrim Masses before. Public speaking does not bother me.

Knowing that my refundable reservations are made to travel to Spain helps me face each day.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Today’s Mass at the Cathedral with the Royal Family in attendance and botafumeiro at the end.

The young man who does the first reading is one of the staff members at the Pilgrim Office. I believe his name is Santiago (Santi). I worked with him both times that I was there.

I was I. Santiago. I
Possible to get into Mass. they should have had a true Pilgrim’s Mass. just for those who walked. It showed great disrespect for pilgrims over tourists and privileged classes. It should be about pilgrims not about pomp(ous) and circumstance. Outraged at Church and Santiago. Compostela office closed at 1 PM Saturday. Many could not get Compostela unless they spent another day in Santiago- where bury the way- there were no rooms for pilgrims.

they should have had a true Pilgrim’s Mass
They held several pilgrims masses on Sunday 25th July. The mass at 12 o'clock was not about pilgrims. It was about Saint James as the patron of Spain and about a century old Spanish tradition called Ofrenda Nacional al Apóstol Santiago. That is why the Spanish king and queen and the princess of Asturias and the Infanta and everyone else was present. And why none of them came as foot pilgrims.

They held several pilgrims masses on Sunday 25th July. The mass at 12 o'clock was not about pilgrims. It was about Saint James as the patron of Spain and about a century old Spanish tradition called Ofrenda Nacional al Apóstol Santiago. That is why the Spanish king and queen and the princess of Asturias and the Infanta and everyone else was present. And why none of them came as foot pilgrims.
Yes, I know. There was a 4,5,6 and 7:30 Mass and the lines were ridiculous with tourists. I really believe, and wrote to the Cathedral the week before, that they should have had a pilgrim exclusive Mass that day. To show respect. Maybe it is just me, but I think that would have been easy to do and the right thing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Compostela office closed at 1 PM Saturday. Many could not get Compostela unless they spent another day in Santiago
Did the pilgrims office actually close on Saturday the 24th of July or were pilgrims too late to arrive at the office or too late to register online and therefore they did not get a place in the virtual queue for obtaining their Compostela on the day of arrival? Because it was a record day in Santiago de Compostela on Saturday the 24th: 2,026 pilgrims did receive their Compostela on that day.

It would surprise me if the pilgrims office closed early on Saturday. It appears that they actually worked until late into the evening.

Nobody should be surprised that there are many tourists and pilgrims in Santiago on the eve of the Apostle's feast day, a day that also happens to be the day when the people of Galicia celebrate their national holiday ... Dia Nacional de Galicia. Think 4th of July. People want to party and have a good time.

I really believe, and wrote to the Cathedral the week before, that they should have had a pilgrim exclusive Mass that day. To show respect. Maybe it is just me, but I think that would have been easy to do and the right thing.
And did you get a satisfactory reply from the Cathedral, if not for this year then for the 25th of July 2022, seeing that 2022 is also a Jacobean Holy Year?

Did the pilgrims office actually close on Saturday the 24th of July or were pilgrims too late to arrive at the office or too late to register online and therefore they did not get a place in the virtual queue for obtaining their Compostela on the day of arrival? Because it was a record day in Santiago de Compostela on Saturday the 24th: 2,026 pilgrims did receive their Compostela on that day.

It would surprise me if the pilgrims office closed early on Saturday. It appears that they actually worked until late into the evening.

Nobody should be surprised that there are many tourists and pilgrims in Santiago on the eve of the Apostle's feast day, a day that also happens to be the day when the people of Galicia celebrate their national holiday ... Dia Nacional de Galicia. Think 4th of July. People want to party and have a good time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When pilgrims who walked 30 days are turned away at 1 that is closed. The queue system is ridiculously complicated. And yes people who had been walking 30 days did not focus on St James Day. And were surprised when turned away at the office at 1 pm without a chance to queue until the next day which was a 3 hour queue by 8 am. Who should not have been surprised was the pilgrim office. And they should have made appropriate accommodations. If the city could pay for fireworks and a party they should have been able to figure out how to spend some money to be sure pilgrims who walked 30 days could get a Compostela.

I just finish watching the video (thank you for posting) and skipping through most of it because, well, I don't speak Spanish. Of course I stopped to watch the botafumeiro swing, I get chills every time. To see the cathedral all shiny bright and new is amazing. The last time I walked through was in August of 2019 when most was covered with just a little part available for pilgrims to pay their respects and to visit the relics of St James. Forever blessed. 💞

Last edited:
I

Thank you very much for the link. I found time yesterday to open it. While everyday life is far removed from the pageantry in ceremony, such events make me stop and roam over the centuries, with all the highs and lows in history, and just acknowledge the civility and respect in the present times.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was I. Santiago. I
Possible to get into Mass. they should have had a true Pilgrim’s Mass. just for those who walked. It showed great disrespect for pilgrims over tourists and privileged classes. It should be about pilgrims not about pomp(ous) and circumstance. Outraged at Church and Santiago. Compostela office closed at 1 PM Saturday. Many could not get Compostela unless they spent another day in Santiago- where bury the way- there were no rooms for pilgrims.
That doesn't sound terribly like the humility of a "true" pilgrim.

In my own eyes, anyone who comes to Santiago as a pilgrim is a pilgrim, however they got there. Much the same as anyone who comes to Rome, Jerusalem, Lourdes or Fatima as a pilgrim is a pilgrim. And, of course, Katar1na had some excellent points about the role of St. James as the patron saint of Spain and the national focus on his Saint's Day celebrations at the centre of his veneration.

And yes people who had been walking 30 days did not focus on St James Day.
All the more reason to centre the St. James Day celebrations on the people who do focus on it.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.