• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral of Santiago - Is it open?

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked from SJPP to Burgos in 2017
Will begin Burgos to Compostela in May of 2018
Hi - I'm beginning the Camino Frances on May 29 from Burgos to the end. I was recently told by a hiking volunteer here in California that the Cathedral of Santiago was closed? I would like to confirm this information. I don't think she would just make that up, but she may have been misinformed by someone else...you know how that goes...
Thank you so much for your help out there and buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is under ongoing renovations (as it has been for years) and the botafumeiro is not currently flying (not sure of the dates for its resumption), but that doesn't mean the cathedral is closed!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This recent post and this one may please you.. I on the other hand won't be there until October.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge but these seem like credible sources. C Clearly is also a credible source, so maybe its not flying for some other reason. ¡Buen Camino!

There is scaffolding around the exterior, but most definitely open. We went to the evening service there last year

This recent post and this one may please you.. I on the other hand won't be there until October.

I don't have any firsthand knowledge but these seem like credible sources. C Clearly is also a credible source, so maybe its not flying for some other reason. ¡Buen Camino!
It is flying if a group pays to have it fly. A group I'm in is considering reserving the 10 seats available and pay to have it fly when we arrive in June but it's 450 euros...yikes. If someone has paid the fee for the reservation, and you happen to be in the cathedral at that moment, you will witness it but it sounds like, for now, it's up to chance unless you pay.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are people who do this voluntarily? :eek::eek::eek:
;)
A; "Eight men are required to move it, who are known as the tiraboleiros, "
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/ufaqs/when-is-the-botafumeiro-used/

my guess is that they get a small salary.. the cost also includes the incence which is extremely costly, and burns off quickly when the censer swings.
Quite a sight and the hightlight of the pilgrimage.
Up till now the town guild also paid for a swinging Friday evening, but not known if they still do that , probably not !

I plan on arriving in Santiago de Compostela on Sunday March 25th. From the comments I understand that the cathedral will be open and the botafumeiro will swing only if a group has paid for it. My walking partner is under the impression that the botafumeiro always swings on Sundays.

Also would appreciate knowing at what time the daily mass is,

Thanks

Guy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I plan on arriving in Santiago de Compostela on Sunday March 25th. From the comments I understand that the cathedral will be open and the botafumeiro will swing only if a group has paid for it. My walking partner is under the impression that the botafumeiro always swings on Sundays.

Also would appreciate knowing at what time the daily mass is,

Thanks

Guy
You can email the cathedral to inquire about Sundays, you may be right. Search this site for contact info for Cathedral. I think my group didn't care about Sundays because we will leave on Saturday to go home.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - I'm beginning the Camino Frances on May 29 from Burgos to the end. I was recently told by a hiking volunteer here in California that the Cathedral of Santiago was closed? I would like to confirm this information. I don't think she would just make that up, but she may have been misinformed by someone else...you know how that goes...
Thank you so much for your help out there and buen camino.

I was in Santiago in October. I understand that in 2018, the pilgrims mass will be moved to another church close by, at noon. (due to renovations inside)
Botomuferio will not be operational.

I regularly check the cathedral's website, www.catedraldesantiago.es which has a wealth of information to peruse, it also has a page with what is happening now, with information about the progress of the restoration work. Look for Present in the title page. Fortunately I have witnessed the Botomuferio. During my stay in June I want to do the roof tour, but they are not taking bookings past mid April at this time.

Lovetoread3 I have tried two separate emails to the Cathedral using emails found on the website however have not had any response. I am just curious as to whom you may have contacted. Perhaps the type of question I am asking “Will the Botufumeiro swing on March 25th” is not one they can/will answer...otherwise they might be doing this far too often for pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lovetoread3 I have tried two separate emails to the Cathedral using emails found on the website however have not had any response. I am just curious as to whom you may have contacted. Perhaps the type of question I am asking “Will the Botufumeiro swing on March 25th” is not one they can/will answer...otherwise they might be doing this far too often for pilgrims.
Hi- a volunteer on a hike I went on in California told me that she heard the cathedral was closed. She walked the Camino last year.

I don't have the email address at hand. I'm sorry. Our organizer sent a copy of it to us but I'm not where I can dig it out. I also know that they are overwhelmed with emails and sometimes you don't get a response at all. I wish I could help you more. I can add that the emails were in English so I doubt it's a language issue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The official dates for the Botofumeiro are here in English. The email link may be the one you have already tried. They may not answer queries about extra days as I assume that the email given is maybe just for booking rather than giving information on dates

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back