A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Cathedral scaffolding

Advertisment

Anniesantiago

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
It looks like most of it is down or coming down. There is a crane working on the final scaffolding and netting on the right side.

It looks like a very clean Cathedral!!
Are you here in Santiago?

Advertisment

Rich1

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Frances (2016-2018)
Fabulous news - I was so disappointed when I arrived in 2015. Earlier this year I was prepared...but am returned in Septemberwith my daughter. Happy days

Camino(s) past & future
When is the botafumeiro shutting down? :( I'll be there about 23 July and was reaLily hoping to see it. Saw it last year with scaffolding outside. Would be sad not to see at the end this year, even if the scaffolding is down...

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way
1999 West Highland Way
2016 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
Time to start planning the return I think!!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
My information is that they are working assiduously to complete all exterior work on the West facing, main facade well before this year's Festa de Santiago on 25 July. That will permit removal of the exterior scaffolding.

They are also pushing to finish all restoration work around the main altar. The Botafumeiro is back in regular (as per policy) use.

I expect some remaining scaffolding on the exterior around the sides or rear (east) facades. Also, some interior scaffolding will remain in the naves and around the main entry as that work is more intensive.

This year, I return for a month or more on 7 July. I will provide updates as indicated by what I observe first- hand.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
My information is that they are working assiduously to complete all exterior work on the West facing, main facade well before this year's Festa de Santiago on 25 July. That will permit removal of the exterior scaffolding.

They are also pushing to finish all restoration work around the main altar. The Botafumeiro is back in regular (as per policy) use.

I expect some remaining scaffolding on the exterior around the sides or rear (east) facades. Also, some interior scaffolding will remain in the naves and around the main entry as that work is more intensive.

This year, I return for a month or more on 7 July. I will provide updates as indicated by what I observe first- hand.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, I'll probably arrive in Santiago on 23 July so it will be cutting it fine. But I would love to see another botafumeiro!

twh

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from SJPdP May/June, 2018
at noon mass on June 17, 2018 saw both the scaffolding on the exterior and botafumeiro on the interior

HalfDomeOrBust

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francis
(2014) SJPDP-SDC
(2015) SJPDP-Burgos
(2016)) Burgos-V-Franca -(2017) SDC
(2017) Fin-Mux-SDC

Hope this helps.
Thanks T2andreo. Very informative!!!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Many more to come in my future God willing !
That project has been going on, I believe, since 2014. It will be great to see it again without the scaffolding some day..

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago de Compostela
I agree with Sabine. It must be time for a new trip. I want to see the cathedral again. When I was there in 2017, the front was all covered and the inside was chaotic. I want the opportunity to approach it again with a different mindset and with more to see.
I totally agree. Well worth the journey see it in all its splendour. We too were there in 2017 and were a little disappointed, but finishing the Camino was too great to let a little scaffolding sour the event

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 154 26.0%
  • June