• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral service in Santiago

Angus

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2015)
Arriving santiago on Friday may 29
I read there is a 12 noon service daily and it is best to arrive sans backpack and early. I also read that at 1900 there is a service with the botafumeiro . So that means 2 services on every Friday? But only one with the botafumeiro ? Or will I get very lucky and have 2 services from which to attend to experience the botafumeiro ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The botafumeiro can swing at any mass. I have seen it three times in one day. The Friday 1930 evening mass is the only sure thing except for the announced dozen days during the year.

El Botafumeiro se usa por motivos litúrgicos, del mismo modo que cualquier sacerdote utilizaría un incensario en el altar, y se puede ver los siguientes días de celebración eucarística:

– La Epifanía del Señor: 6 de enero
– Domingo de Resurrección
– La Ascensión del Señor
– La Aparición del Apóstol-Clavijo: 23 de mayo
– Pentecostés
– El Martirio de Santiago: 25 de julio
– La Asunción de María: 15 de agosto
– Todos los Santos: 1 de noviembre
– Cristo Rey
– La Inmaculada Concepción: 8 de diciembre
– Navidad: 25 de Diciembre
– Traslado de los Restos del Apóstol: 30 de diciembre

Misas en el Altar Mayor de la Catedral

Días laborables:
-9,00 Misa Capitular
-12,00 Misa del Peregrino
-19:30 Misa con Canto de Vísperas en Castellano

Sábados
-9,40 Misa de Laudes en latín
-10:00 Misa Capitular
-12:00 Misa del peregrino
-18:00 Misa en gallego

Domingos y Festivos
-9.40 Canto de Laudes en latín
-10:00 Misa Capitular
-12:00 Misa del Peregrino
-13:15
-18:00

Para información más ampliada: www.catedraldesantiago.es

Should we expect all Masses (other than the Latin Mass) to be in Spanish?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola

The Pilgrims' Mass is at 12 noon every day. It begins with a list being read out of the number of pilgrims from which country arrived from which starting point on the Camino. It often ends with a Pilgrims' Blessing.

Apart from the main feasts which Falcon lists above the Botafumeiro is used at the 12 noon Pilgrims' Mass when it has been reserved and paid for by pilgrim or tour groups.

Each evening in the Cathedral there is a Mass at 7.30pm and on Friday Evenings the Botafumeiro is used at the end of this Mass. This has been reserved and paid for by the Hoteliers Association of Santiago.

There are no "Latin Masses" as such in the Cathedral. At the 12 noon Pilgrims' Mass often some parts of the mass are sung in Latin but the prayers and readings are always in Spanish or other Euorpean languages.

I hope this helps.

John

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
During the high season, at least last year, there has also been a English language mass in the chapel across from the Santiago Matamoros statue. I believe it was at 11:00am. As a person who can barely order a beer in Spanish, I found this mass to be the highlight of my last Camino. Then again, maybe it's because this fallen Catholic actually felt God's forgiveness there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Michael!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The minimum cost for pilgrim and church groups is 350 euros. There is a sliding scale for private tour groups depending on the number in the group. The cost rises to 1500 euros for commercial recordings. The fee has to be paid in advance. For further information email the Pilgrims Office.

@JohnnieWalker - are we right that the English Mass will be weekdays at 10.00 and 18.00 this year? Somehow we feel it might be more 'where we are at' than the pilgrims Mass this time.

Hola

I am waiting on confirmation of the times of the Masses in English. The times will likely be 10.30 am and 6pm

Spiritual retreats can be arranged in advance or on arrival. These will be tailored to meet the needs of individuals or groups. One to one conversations with the chaplain as well as group meetings will also be offered.

The Camino Chaplaincy's approach is very welcoming and inclusive. People of all faiths and none are welcome.

When all of the details are agreed I will post further information.

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.