• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral to Matosinhos

Stephen F.

carpintero de Colorado
Time of past OR future Camino
I am thinking of walking from Porto in mid April. My current plan is to walk from the Cathedral to Matosinhos via the coast road. I will return to Porto via the metro for the night, returning via metro the next morning to begin walking to Vila do Conde and thence onward to Rates and the interior route.
My question is concerning the coast road to Matosinhos -- is it a reasonably pleasant route? My goal is to walk all the way from Porto without the urban industrial slog and traffic of the usual way.
Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two years ago, I essentially did the same thing except I took a more direct route through the city to Matosinhos, using just a tourist map as a guide. I greatly enjoyed the walk through the neighborhoods. It was different from the walk from Lisbon or to SDC but enjoyable in its own way. I imagine the walk along the river and coast would be more attractive but show less of the city going about its daily life. Either way, it should be an easy, pretty but urban walk. Bon Caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might like to consider getting accommodation in Matosinhos. We stayed in a wee pension there and were happy to just keep walking the next day.
The route is very scenic if you keep looking to your left, towards the river/sea! We were very surprised that to the right there were buildings - and often highrises - for much of the walk, but it was in no way unpleasant.

I am thinking of walking from Porto in mid April. My current plan is to walk from the Cathedral to Matosinhos via the coast road. I will return to Porto via the metro for the night, returning via metro the next morning to begin walking to Vila do Conde and thence onward to Rates and the interior route.
My question is concerning the coast road to Matosinhos -- is it a reasonably pleasant route? My goal is to walk all the way from Porto without the urban industrial slog and traffic of the usual way.
Thanks.
I agree with above posters that it is a pleasant walk along the Douro river direction ocean and follow the ocean to Matosinhos.
An interesting alternative is to cross the famous Eiffel bridge in the center of Porto ,turn to the right and walk along the famous portwinehouses like Sandeman and Cruz , an antique shipwarff and follow the river towards the ocean at the other side of the river untill you walk underneath a second bridge. Short after the bridge you will find a floating platform with a small ferry to the opposite way. Once at the otherside you can walk direction Matosinhos but opposite the landing of the ferry is a small bar where , if you are lucky , they sing and play traditional fado music. Just ask the ferryman to point where it is.
We were lucky to attend a local fado rehearsal, sat next to the playing artist and met the very kind locals e.g a famous fado songwriter.

I agree with above posters that it is a pleasant walk along the Douro river direction ocean and follow the ocean to Matosinhos.
An interesting alternative is to cross the famous Eiffel bridge in the center of Porto ,turn to the right and walk along the famous portwinehouses like Sandeman and Cruz , an antique shipwarff and follow the river towards the ocean at the other side of the river untill you walk underneath a second bridge. Short after the bridge you will find a floating platform with a small ferry to the opposite way. Once at the otherside you can walk direction Matosinhos but opposite the landing of the ferry is a small bar where , if you are lucky , they sing and play traditional fado music. Just ask the ferryman to point where it is.
We were lucky to attend a local fado rehearsal, sat next to the playing artist and met the very kind locals e.g a famous fado songwriter.
So... We cross the Eiffel bridge, walk along the portowinehouses until just past a second bridge where there will be a little ferry? For some reason I thout you meant the second bridge had a lower deck for pedestrians o_O

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So... We cross the Eiffel bridge, walk along the portowinehouses until just past a second bridge where there will be a little ferry? For some reason I thout you meant the second bridge had a lower deck for pedestrians o_O
No just walk the same direction to the Atlantic ocean as you should do to Matosinhos ,only this way is at the other bank of the river at de Vila Nova da Gaia side or as they say the south side of the river.
After some kms you will walk underneath a very high bridge ,the Ponte da Arrabida -the motorway A1- A28. Shortly after you will find the small pedestrian and bike ferry to the north bank.
The ferry lands allmost on the same places where the antique tramway direction coast has its final stop. look at Google maps and you'll see what I mean.
Alltough I posted this youtube vid several times , you can see what it is like at 2,30 minutes. We made this walk the other way around. We took the antique tram direction the ocean, listened to the fado music in the bar and took the ferry to Vila Nova da Gaia and walked back to the center at the south bank of the river.

You might like to consider getting accommodation in Matosinhos. We stayed in a wee pension there and were happy to just keep walking the next day.
The route is very scenic if you keep looking to your left, towards the river/sea! We were very surprised that to the right there were buildings - and often highrises - for much of the walk, but it was in no way unpleasant.
Hi I'm planning to get accommodation for the 1st night at Matosinhos and then walk the next day to Vila de Conde. Any suggestions where to stay in Matosinhos please? I will be there on the 25th of August 2017

Hi I'm planning to get accommodation for the 1st night at Matosinhos and then walk the next day to Vila de Conde. Any suggestions where to stay in Matosinhos please? I will be there on the 25th of August 2017
I would go with whatever it is you see and like on Booking. Matoshinos urban Porto, just not prime downtown, more like a lively and dense suburub.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We chose the cheapest place in Booking.com. It wasn't bad, but you could likely find better! To be honest, having the toilet sitting next to the bed was a little unusual! But there was a supermarket nearby for provisions. Just don't buy a little unlabeled foil wrapped package of butter (sitting beside the butter in the chiller) - it will turn out to be fresh yeast!!

We chose the cheapest place in Booking.com. It wasn't bad, but you could likely find better! To be honest, having the toilet sitting next to the bed was a little unusual! But there was a supermarket nearby for provisions. Just don't buy a little unlabeled foil wrapped package of butter (sitting beside the butter in the chiller) - it will turn out to be fresh yeast!!
Oh God! I booked at Leao de Ouro for 35 euros. It's a twin room and according to pictures has a shower and a toilet separately! Since I'm doing my cammino in a peak season I think I d better book beforehand. Don't want to end up looking for a place to rest after all those kms!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back