• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cathedral tower scaffolding

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
What is the present state of the cathedral towers? At the end of my last camino, November 2016, one tower was finished, but the other was still covered in scaffolding. If it is not yet clear of scaffolding, is there an estimated completion date? And is the Porta de la Gloria finished yet?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A quick search on instagram shows that there is still quite a bit but it is diminishing.

1516921519715.png

Thank you, Jen. I've heard of Instagram, but I have no idea how to use it as you have done. I see that the upper parts of both towers are now clear, but there seems to be more scaffolding than ever in the middle part and lower down. I hope to be there in late July, so 'fingers crossed'!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, Jen. I've heard of Instagram, but I have no idea how to use it as you have done. I see that the upper parts of both towers are now clear, but there seems to be more scaffolding than ever in the middle part and lower down. I hope to be there in late July, so 'fingers crossed'!

Most posters tag a location for their photo and so when you search a location, you can see "most recent" posts and while not all were instant uploads, the bulk will be so you can quickly get the gist of scaffolding status or whether there is snow, mud on your favourite trail or whatever. A good tool.

Hi!

The works are scheduled to finish before the start of the next Holy Year (2021). I assume by the middle of 2020 or so.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! The works are scheduled to finish before the start of the next Holy Year (2021). I assume by the middle of 2020 or so.

Is that for just the facade facing the square or for the whole of the cathedral - including the South & North faces?
As for entry via the "porta de la gloria" the last info I saw was this door would only be opened during Holy Years or on special feast days. I can understand the desire to keep the interior of the cathedral as original as possible but to be able to walk up those "stairs" again (as I did in 2013) would make the end of a Camino Pilgrimage just that little bit more special. We can only pray (or keep fingers crossed)!:confused:

While it's good to see the old building being maintanined, I for one will miss the vegetation growing out from odd angles, never mind Mother Nature will be back with her garlands of moss and ferns soon enough.

What is the present state of the cathedral towers? At the end of my last camino, November 2016, one tower was finished, but the other was still covered in scaffolding. If it is not yet clear of scaffolding, is there an estimated completion date? And is the Porta de la Gloria finished yet?
I have read somewhere that the scaffolding will be gone by the end of March 2018

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The works affects the whole cathedral and several other places in Santiago, Monte del Gozo, etc...

Not idea about the specific schedule for the scaffolding. What I know is that everything has to be finished before the starting of the Holy Year. I assume the Pope will visit Santiago for the Holy Year as the previous two popes did.

I have read somewhere that the scaffolding will be gone by the end of March 2018
If that's true, and even if it overruns by a month or two, it should be looking good for my photos in July (if I finish the Camino del Norte/Primitivo).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If that's true, and even if it overruns by a month or two, it should be looking good for my photos in July (if I finish the Camino del Norte/Primitivo).
I would also appreciate the cathedral without scaffolding. We will be in Santiago by the end of May.
Buen Camino on the del Norte, we did that in 2014.

Still covered on July, 17.

Read that both towers will be completed early this year. However, the work then starts on the interior so no botafumeiro and pilgrim Masses will be held in the church of St Francis.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is exactly what I have read.

I would also appreciate the cathedral without scaffolding. We will be in Santiago by the end of May.
Buen Camino on the del Norte, we did that in 2014.
Hi , this is the present day .Still scaffolding at the left and right from the main entrance .
And inside the Cathedral of course.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Attachments

• 20180419_200005_001.jpg
    20180419_200005_001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180424_080712.jpg
    20180424_080712.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Read that both towers will be completed early this year. However, the work then starts on the interior so no botafumeiro and pilgrim Masses will be held in the church of St Francis.
The Botafumeiro is stil working and Pilgrims mass is stil in the Cathedral at 12.00 . And there is mass at 19.30 .

Wish you well , Peter .

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Botafumeiro is stil working and Pilgrims is stil in the Cathedral at 12.00 . And there is mass at 19.30 .

Wish you well , Peter .
Hi , this is the present day .Still scaffolding at the left and right from the main entrance .
And inside the Cathedral of course.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .
Thanks Peter.

Hey, thanks Michelle.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.