• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Catholic Herald article

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's a pleasant enough article on pilgrimage in general, from a British perspective, up at the Catholic Herald :

This is easily one of the best articles I've read that covers most of the bases as to why folks go on pilgrimage. As many of you know, I've walked the Way to SDC on five occasions. I could have gone every year since 2008, but find that although the Camino holds a special religious place, I am still drawn to additional sites and specific locations that add to the foundation of my faith. Over the years I've traveled and walked: the Holy Land, the Isle of Iona, the pilgrimage along St Magnus Way on Orkney, Scotland, reverently walked the Cathedrals of Westminster, Notre Dame, Cologne and Basilica of Lourdes.
All that said, whether your decision to walk the Camino, or any site off your normal track...walk with an open mind, embrace a sense of wonder and gather in the many bouquets of wild and deeply personal experiences all have to offer.

There's a pleasant enough article on pilgrimage in general, from a British perspective, up at the Catholic Herald :

Thank you for the article. It is not a publication I would normally open, but I do say I believe in the right of all to say their say, and I am glad I read the article. There are some keen observations, and I appreciate them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is interesting to me that this article was written by an atheist! He definitely makes insightful comments. It is with the read! Thanks!
Many atheists are closer to being true believers than they will admit. But, that's a different discussion and borders on breaking the “rules” of the Forum.
That said, if you truly believe the Camino holds sway over your progression walking the Way then you believe something greater than yourself is at play.

Interesting piece. Do wish that the author had relied on more than just his own impressions for leaving in tact his view that "as an atheist I find peculiar that a long journey, requiring time and money, should afford privileged access to a deity through the intercession of a holy place."
There are clear structural reasons that had to do with the improved health, social recognition, benefits to towns that grew up around cathedrals, etc that accrued as concrete evidence that one did indeed acquire 'privileged access to a deity' (that is: it wasn't just some expensive mass delusion).
In many of these structural accounts, the deity actually hardly matters, but is the agreed-upon reason to take one's pennies to the cathedral. But what did one get in return at the outset of these formalized pilgrimages?
Better food in more regular supply than one is likely to have had in the small village from whence one had travelled (and where the village saint's relic had little miraculous power to bestow).
Fresh air and sunshine and an absence of really hard labour.
The cachet of "seeing the world" -- an education of sorts.
The blessing of one's local priest to take this sojourn/rest either as a reward for penitence or as an effort to heal an illness (blindness, paralysis -- certain types of which we now know to be reversible with diet, moderate exercise, relief from badly ventilated huts, etc).
The economy of the Cathedral system gave regular hospitals that *could* and *did* actually heal the sick, create clinical medicine, develop fairly sophisticated apothecaries...
There is a maxim in sociology: "That which we treat as real is real in its effects."
Faith delivers.
I'm still an Atheist Catholic, but I would not dismiss this aspect of the pilgrimage so swiftly as the author.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting piece. Do wish that the author had relied on more than just his own impressions for leaving in tact his view that "as an atheist I find peculiar that a long journey, requiring time and money, should afford privileged access to a deity through the intercession of a holy place."
There are clear structural reasons that had to do with the improved health, social recognition, benefits to towns that grew up around cathedrals, etc that accrued as concrete evidence that one did indeed acquire 'privileged access to a deity' (that is: it wasn't just some expensive mass delusion).
In many of these structural accounts, the deity actually hardly matters, but is the agreed-upon reason to take one's pennies to the cathedral. But what did one get in return at the outset of these formalized pilgrimages?
Better food in more regular supply than one is likely to have had in the small village from whence one had travelled (and where the village saint's relic had little miraculous power to bestow).
Fresh air and sunshine and an absence of really hard labour.
The cachet of "seeing the world" -- an education of sorts.
The blessing of one's local priest to take this sojourn/rest either as a reward for penitence or as an effort to heal an illness (blindness, paralysis -- certain types of which we now know to be reversible with diet, moderate exercise, relief from badly ventilated huts, etc).
The economy of the Cathedral system gave regular hospitals that *could* and *did* actually heal the sick, create clinical medicine, develop fairly sophisticated apothecaries...
There is a maxim in sociology: "That which we treat as real is real in its effects."
Faith delivers.
I'm still an Atheist Catholic, but I would not dismiss this aspect of the pilgrimage so swiftly as the author.
Plz define “Atheist Catholic”.

Plz define “Atheist Catholic”.
Having nothing better to do right now, my first question to you would be: Why are you asking this question? Does it really need a "definition"? I see on your avatar that you joined the forum in 2017 and also participated actively in forum discussions so you must know that most discussions about religious aspects quickly veer off the factual and go down the path of expressions of personal opinion and that will be against forum rules.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I think both of the large Christian Churches (Catholic/Protestant) teach that you cannot undo your own baptism. Furthermore, once baptised as a small child and growing up in your individual family and church community environment, you may or may not only fashion your personal religious belief and refashion it again and again or distance yourself from it - you also absorb a lot of cultural elements and cultural-historical knowledge specific to all this. It becomes part of you. Which is why you may view aspects of historical or contemporary pilgrimage traditions and expressions with different eyes from those who don't share this background.

And now I'll leave it at that. However, I find the content of @Faye Walker's long contribution more essential to the article and more worthy of exploring than her last sentence which I perceived just as a bit of a personal touch.

Last edited:
the author
Worth pointing out perhaps, for the benefit of those who haven't read the article or haven't read it to the end, that this article was not specifically written for the readership of a London-based Roman Catholic monthly newspaper, namely The Catholic Herald. They merely reprinted this article.

The article was written as the introduction to a book called "Britain's Pilgrim Places", published by and for the British Pilgrimage Trust (BPT). The BPT is a recently formed non-profit organisation in the UK. They aim to reestablish or newly create pilgrimage paths and destinations of pilgrimage in the UK. Their motto is "Bring your own belief", i.e. they aim to promote pilgrimage (on foot) with or without religious background of any kind. In fact, on their website, under "What is pilgrimage", they write that pilgrimage is for everyone, promoting holistic wellbeing via pilgrim practices and connecting you with yourself, others, nature and everything beyond.

They want to advance British pilgrimage as a form of cultural heritage that promotes holistic wellbeing, for the public benefit, which includes physical, mental, emotional, social, environmental and spiritual health.

BTW, I didn't make the connection at first but later I realised that Simon Jenkins is a columnist of The Guardian newspaper.

Links:
Britain's Pilgrim Places: The Guardian Bookshop; Amazon UK
British Pilgrimage Trust: BPT

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having nothing better to do right now, my first question to you would be: Why are you asking this question? Does it really need a "definition"? I see on your avatar that you joined the forum in 2017 and also participated actively in forum discussions so you must know that most discussions about religious aspects quickly veer off the factual and go down the path of expressions of personal opinion and that will be against forum rules.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I think both of the large Christian Churches (Catholic/Protestant) teach that you cannot undo your own baptism. Furthermore, once baptised as a small child and growing up in your individual family and church community environment, you may or may not only fashion your personal religious belief and refashion it again and again or distance yourself from it - you also absorb a lot of cultural elements and cultural-historical knowledge specific to all this. It becomes part of you. Which is why you may view aspects of historical or contemporary pilgrimage traditions and expressions with different eyes from those who don't share this background.

And now I'll leave it at that. However, I find the content of @Faye Walker's long contribution more essential to the article and more worthy of exploring than her last sentence which I perceived just as a bit of a personal touch.
Thank you Sabine — this is precisely it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back