A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Caution - Wildfires in central Portugal

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Português (Out/2016)
Hi!

Just a little warning for those doing the portuguese (from Lisbon) right now: there is a big wildfire in Pedrogão Grande e Figueiró dos Vinhos. It is not necessarily on the route but wildfires are impredictable and only God knows where will it be an hour from now.
There are people injured, missing and 19 people died. 16 got caught on their cars and 3 died on the street by smoke inhalation.

A little more south there is another one in Ferreira de Zêrere.

I dont want to scare anyone. I'm just really worried with what is going on and wanted to warn you all.

Advertisment

Paul McG

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's (2016)
Forest fires have devastated part of Portugal near to Coimbra. If you are walking the Camino through central Portugal please exercise extreme caution. The heatwave, the eucalyptus forests, and lightening storms have proven to be a fatal combination.

It's terrible news, and my thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this.

Once again: Stay safe!

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0618/883587-portugal-fires/

Advertisment

Finisterre

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria 2001,
Porto 2006,
Valenca 2008,
Finisterre 2010,
SJdPP 2012,
Tui 2014.

No plans to return, yet.
Those poor people!
horrific!

Desculpe-me perdas.
:(

Anniesantiago

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Frances nearly every year and 19 various Camino routes 2006 through 2018
This is a horrible fire. I don't know if there is any route through this forested area, but I hope not.
It's been devastating.
Stay safe, pilgrims.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
Such grief. Heard the news via BBC this morning in NYC. If any fellow pilgrims on this forum have been affected by this tragedy, my thoughts are with you. Deeply saddened for Portugal.

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
I have zero knowledge of the Camino(s) in Portugal. Is any of them in or near the area?

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
There is a Camino 20 / 30km away from the fire.
At the moment, I dont think the fire will effect the Camino; maybe some smoke in the air but nothing more than that (at least it is what I'm hoping for)
Okay. I hope things will calm down...

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Sept 2017
Hi!

Just a little warning for those doing the portuguese (from Lisbon) right now: there is a big wildfire in Pedrogão Grande e Figueiró dos Vinhos. It is not necessarily on the route but wildfires are impredictable and only God knows where will it be an hour from now.
There are people injured, missing and 19 people died. 16 got caught on their cars and 3 died on the street by smoke inhalation.

A little more south there is another one in Ferreira de Zêrere.

I dont want to scare anyone. I'm just really worried with what is going on and wanted to warn you all.
This is so sad. I wish everyone a safe passage and prayers for all the life that has been lost. Fire is a powerful master.

dclink

Camino(s) past & future
Ponferrada-Sarria (2013), St. Jean-SdC (2015)
I walked from Coimbra to Mealhada this morning. Fortunately there was some rainfall (though also some lightning) in the late morning. Everything got good and damp, which should hinder further fires. I hope they got some rainfall to the southeast where the fires are, too.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino French Way (2012 - 2014)
SJPDP - Sahagun (June 2015)
Sahagun - Muxia (June 2016)
This is so sad. I wish everyone a safe passage and prayers for all the life that has been lost. Fire is a powerful master.
I'm walking the Portuguese Camino on the 1st of September and am very sad to hear about this fire which is ongoing. I'd like to add my thoughts and prayers to all of yours. What an awful time this is too with so many sad stories.

I've also heard from a fellow pilgrim who has just arrived in Santiago that there has been an incident, a car with four men stopped two French pilgrims and took all their valuables on the Grijo->Porto leg so keep a look out as I understand it's pavement walking. All the best to anyone out there now or going soon and anyone reading this. :)

dclink

Camino(s) past & future
Ponferrada-Sarria (2013), St. Jean-SdC (2015)
I'm walking the Portuguese Camino on the 1st of September and am very sad to hear about this fire which is ongoing. I'd like to add my thoughts and prayers to all of yours. What an awful time this is too with so many sad stories.

I've also heard from a fellow pilgrim who has just arrived in Santiago that there has been an incident, a car with four men stopped two French pilgrims and took all their valuables on the Grijo->Porto leg so keep a look out as I understand it's pavement walking. All the best to anyone out there now or going soon and anyone reading this. :)
Thank you for posting this, I will spread the word.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
L Camino Portugues 3

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 68 16.7%
  • May

Votes: 108 26.6%
  • June