• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CDG - TGV and Day 1 Help

fjvjess

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
Hello good people,

I plan to begin my first Camino this June. My flight from the US arrives at CDG at 1pm and the TGV to Bayonne is at 2pm. If I only have a carry-on, is that enough time?
The trouble with the next train (4pm) is that it doesn't arrive in Bayonne until 10:30pm, which makes me a bit uncomfortable as a solo female traveler. If I have to take that later train, I would get to SJPDP around 10am the following day. By the time I venture to the pilgrim office, how much distance can I expect to cover that first day? I assume making it to Roncesvalles is not possible with such a late start, right? So is there anywhere to sleep in between SJPDP and Roncesvalles?

Lots of questions. Any answers would be appreciated!

Jessica

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I assume you mean the TGV leaving from CDG? The connection will totally depend on whether your flight arrives on time. The immigration process is pretty smooth theses days but depending on how many flight have landed at that hour it could end up being a bit of panic. On the other hand arriving in Bayonne at 10:30pm is not a big deal, there are a couple of hotels very close to the station. Arriving in SJPdP at 10am will give you time to get to the Pilgrim's Office and walk as far as Orrison pretty comfortably which is a wonderful way to start your Camino; but reservations required! You could also walk the Valcarlos and stay at places along that route; but you definitely will not have time to make it to Roncevalles, unless you are speed walker. My other advice would be to stay a night in SJPdP and soak up some of the Camino spirit before you set out.

Hello good people,

I plan to begin my first Camino this June. My flight from the US arrives at CDG at 1pm and the TGV to Bayonne is at 2pm. If I only have a carry-on, is that enough time?
The trouble with the next train (4pm) is that it doesn't arrive in Bayonne until 10:30pm, which makes me a bit uncomfortable as a solo female traveler. If I have to take that later train, I would get to SJPDP around 10am the following day. By the time I venture to the pilgrim office, how much distance can I expect to cover that first day? I assume making it to Roncesvalles is not possible with such a late start, right? So is there anywhere to sleep in between SJPDP and Roncesvalles?

Jessica
book a hostel in bayone for the night if you can't get the earlier train.You can then catch the early train from bayonne next day getting in to SJPDP at 0900.You could book at Orisson a hostel 8km out of SJPDP if you want to break the journey.This will give you a shorter journey across to Roncesvalles next day.The first part from SJPDP is the steepest.!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Biarritzdon and dalstomarra said it all , the only thing I have to say is , to wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

Thank you both for your quick replies! Walking to Orrison the day after my flight sounds like a wise plan. Any recommendations for where to stay there, or is there just one albuergue?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you both for your quick replies! Walking to Orrison the day after my flight sounds like a wise plan. Any recommendations for where to stay there, or is there just one albuergue?
Orisson is only the refuge/albergue! Book ASAP since it is very popular. Here is their website,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Orisson is the only albuergue on the pass! There are lots of albuergues/hostels/hotels in SJPP but they will be closed by the time you get there if you arrive after 8. You'll need a hotel in Bayonne or SJPP for your first night.
BUT - I flew into CDG from Chicago earlier this month. My flight arrived at 10:00 am and the earliest TGV to Pau (the same train you take to Bayonne) left around noon from the Montparnasse station and I got there in plenty of time to catch it. You might very well make that earlier train.

Hello good people,

Jessica
Hi Jessica,
I am starting the Camino in two weeks with my son.
We will meet in Paris at CDG, then we will take an easyJet flight the later same day to Biarritz (BIQ), where we will spend the night. The cost of the easyJet flight is very reasonable. We will take the train/bus from Bayonne to SJPdP the next day and spend the night in SJPdP.
Since I am in Hawaii right now, and my son is in Tokyo, I believe we will have severe jet lag. Therefore, I was not a rush to hit the trail with only one day's recovery time in Europe. I would be happy to discuss the specifics with you, if you are interested.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jessica,
I am starting the Camino in two weeks with my son.
We will meet in Paris at CDG, then we will take an easyJet flight the later same day to Biarritz (BIQ), where we will spend the night. The cost of the easyJet flight is very reasonable. We will take the train/bus from Bayonne to SJPdP the next day and spend the night in SJPdP.
Since I am in Hawaii right now, and my son is in Tokyo, I believe we will have severe jet lag. Therefore, I was not a rush to hit the trail with only one day's recovery time in Europe. I would be happy to discuss the specifics with you, if you are interested.

Thanks for the note. I think I wil go with the suggestion to take the later train to Bayonne and the next day hike to Orrison from SJPdP, if there's a space. How wonderful to reunite with your son for the Camino! Best wishes with your jet lag recovery, and buen camino!

Hello good people,

Jessica
Hi! Considering jet lag and a late morning start, make a reservation and stay at Orisson (http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/). The climb to Orisson is 2000 ft. vertical, and it's the perfect place to meet other pilgrims who may become your Camino buddies. Since it may be warm in June, you'll be ready to stop and cool off after the climb. I stayed there in Sept. 2014 and the view is beautiful. Some people stay in SJPdP, but for me I was too excited about starting when I left the pilgrim office at 10 AM.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very good decision. I did the same thing last year, with the 4PMish TGV from CDG. (I think you will have to change trains in Bordeau (SP)). In Bayonne I stayed at the Hotel Cote Basque, which is directly across the street from the Bayonne Train station. This reduces the amount of time you have to be out and about after you leave the train station after a 10:30 PM arrival.

Good decision to stay at Orrison. It's a great experience, and a good way to split up the climb over the mountain.

Buen Camino and good luck.

I assume you mean the TGV leaving from CDG? The connection will totally depend on whether your flight arrives on time. The immigration process is pretty smooth theses days but depending on how many flight have landed at that hour it could end up being a bit of panic. On the other hand arriving in Bayonne at 10:30pm is not a big deal, there are a couple of hotels very close to the station. Arriving in SJPdP at 10am will give you time to get to the Pilgrim's Office and walk as far as Orrison pretty comfortably which is a wonderful way to start your Camino; but reservations required! You could also walk the Valcarlos and stay at places along that route; but you definitely will not have time to make it to Roncevalles, unless you are speed walker. My other advice would be to stay a night in SJPdP and soak up some of the Camino spirit before you set out.
You are right. You can feel the spirit there. I know I felt it for sure on my first Camino when I was there mid-July. The height of the walking season and the town was full. So many pilgrims. It was a really cool thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good decision. I did the same thing last year, with the 4PMish TGV from CDG. (I think you will have to change trains in Bordeau (SP)). In Bayonne I stayed at the Hotel Cote Basque, which is directly across the street from the Bayonne Train station. This reduces the amount of time you have to be out and about after you leave the train station after a 10:30 PM arrival.

Good decision to stay at Orrison. It's a great experience, and a good way to split up the climb over the mountain.

Buen Camino and good luck.

Oh good to hear from someone who made the same 4pm TGV trek. Do you recall a 10 minute window to change trains in Bordeau? Sounds tight! I guess it's not a major problem or they would have riders missing the transfer everyday!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back