• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CdM Accommodation Advice - Simancas & Medina de Rioseco

Calisteve

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino - Primitivo, Norte, Mozarabe
I'm actively planning walking the Camino de Madrid starting on August 17th (I know it will be HOT but that's when I'm free and have walked the CF in late July/early August).

I have been looking at the excellent CJS guide (superb value for £4) and the accommodation pdf from this sub-forum - identifying potential stages and places to stay. My 'planned' stages are currently: Madrid to Colmenar Viejo; Cercedilla; Segovia; Santa Maria la Real de Nieva; Coca; Alcazaren; Simancas; Medina de Rioseco; Villalon de Campos; and Sahagun. I'll be using a combination of albergues & hostals/CR's etc.

I would welcome advice/recommendations about places to stay and specifically:

1. Simancas - the pdf and CJS guide suggest there's no albergue; and
2. Medina de Rioseco - where the CJS guide says there's plenty of accommodation, but Gronze suggests the albergue is provisionally closed and there is only 1 hotel on booking.com, and that is full the day I'm likely to get there. It will be my longest day and I'd rather not take the risk of arriving to find there's no accommodation particularly as the next place is another 11 or 14kms depending on which guide I'm looking at.

Many thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Calisteve,
You never know about the weather, you may just get cool and breezy! I think you will love the CdeM. Simmancas is a touristy town. I walked through but did see a few placces, which I´m sure you can find online. And about Medina de Rioseco— just because booking.com lists it as full doesn’t mean the hotel is full. Booking and other travel websites only have access to a few rooms of each hotel. You will frequently find if you contact the place directly that there is room.

Gronze.com shows about 5 places in Medina, with only one that even uses booking. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/medina-rioseco/cuenca-campos

Oh, and Gronze lists a bunch of those places I saw walking through Simancas: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/puente-duero/penaflor-hornija

I think the best place to stay in Cercedilla is the youth hostel on the left side of the road as you leave town and start the ascent. It gives you a bit of a jump for the next day’s walk. Villalón’s albergue is GREAT!!! Coca, Santa María (very small) and Alcazarén (kind of stuffy) are also very nice. You’ve got a great itinerary! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, we stayed at the following places in March/April this year:
Cercedilla, Aribel Longinos (next to the railway station, 25 euros for a single room, sharing a bathroom)
Zamarramala (had to get the train as the pass was under snow), Albergue
Santa Maria, Albergue
Coca, Albergue
Alcazaren, Albergue
Valdestilla, Meson Tequita (25 euros single room ensuite) - recommended!
Cigunuela, Albergue
Castromonte, Albergue
Medina de Rio Seca, Duque de Osuna (25 euros single room ensuite) - recommended!
Cuenca, Albergue
Santervas, Albergue
Grajal de Campos, Albergue - fabulous, don't miss it!!!!!!!!!
Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FYI - I have contacted Casa H three times and had no reply so far.

Laurie and Jill - many thanks for the information and ideas. Much appreciated.

Steve

Hi Rachel, Annie, Ginette and I had lunch at Hostal Castilla in Medina de Rioseco. The menu del dia was 9 euros and it was quite good, although there was nobody else there in the huge dining room.

We asked about rooms, and they said the rooms cost 25 euros per person, but we could have one (sharing) for 20 euros each. However, there was no wifi there (neither in the restaurant nor in the rooms) and it was freezing cold. The place was “old fashioned”.

We walked around the corner to the Hostal Duque de Osuna, and got an ensuite room each for 25 euros each, including wifi and heating. Don’t bother with the Hostal Castilla unless there is literally nowhere else to stay!
Jill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We asked about rooms, and they said the rooms cost 25 euros per person, but we could have one (sharing) for 20 euros each.

Oh, just to clarify: if the three of us stayed at Hostal Castilla, it would cost 20 euros each for the two sharing a room, but the other person had to pay 40 euros for their room. They would not back down on that.
Jill

That's a big thumbs up for Hostal Duque de Osuna - I'll send them an e-mail and see if I can reserve a room.

Thanks to all - very helpful.

I'll send them an e-mail and see if I can reserve a room

Hi, use google translate to send the email in Spanish. Then you are more likely to get a reply!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Absolutely - I always send the message in both English and Spanish.

We didn’t book ahead at all, and when I compare my “probable itinerary” with my “actual itinerary”, it’s completely different. I don’t think you need to book ahead at all on the Camino de Madrid.
Jill

Jill - you are absolutely right. After 2 times on the CF I should know that whatever I plan will be overtaken by events, but still the soviet planner in me pops out. Thanks for reminding me about reality. I'll relax.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Laurie, I am certain they intend finishing the improvements to the albergue because the ablutions are brand new, with piping hot water. In this photo of the entrance, the ablutions are on the left. The man with the key works in the town hall next door, so yes, it might be a problem finding him at weekends or during siesta time. The kids outside knew where he lived, and were about to go and find him when he appeared from inside, and I bet the guys in the bar know where he lives too. It was they who directed me across to the town hall. But, you're right, maybe I was just lucky! Grajal is a fascinating town, so if one has time, it is well worth exploring, whether one stays there or not.
341AlbergueGrajalDeCampos2.jpg
Jill

@jsalt I was referring to Casa de Huespedes Arranel in Simancas.
I’ve already taken note of your earlier comments re Medina.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Their phone is out of order and there is no indication when or if it will be fixed. I stopped in this month on my way to Hostal Duque de Osuna and they didn't seem too interested in business.

I called Hostal.Duque de Osuna when I arrived in town and was extremely luckily to get a private room and bath for €15 on the first floor. Normally the pilgrims are put on the top floor and cost €30 for a single. She said having me on the first was more convenient for her and business was slow. I don't suspect that anyone else will get that price. Booking.com even quoted €40 for a single!

If anyone takes the deviation to La Granja Ildefonso, I stayed in Albergue/Hostel de Lis.
That one and the Albergue municipal in Mataelpino (sheets and towels!) need to be reserved as they also cater to non-Camino groups, especially on the weekend. When I was in both there was only one other person and neither were walking.

I'm actively planning walking the Camino de Madrid starting on August 17th (I know it will be HOT but that's when I'm free and have walked the CF in late July/early August).

I have been looking at the excellent CJS guide (superb value for £4) and the accommodation pdf from this sub-forum - identifying potential stages and places to stay. My 'planned' stages are currently: Madrid to Colmenar Viejo; Cercedilla; Segovia; Santa Maria la Real de Nieva; Coca; Alcazaren; Simancas; Medina de Rioseco; Villalon de Campos; and Sahagun. I'll be using a combination of albergues & hostals/CR's etc.

I would welcome advice/recommendations about places to stay and specifically:

1. Simancas - the pdf and CJS guide suggest there's no albergue; and
2. Medina de Rioseco - where the CJS guide says there's plenty of accommodation, but Gronze suggests the albergue is provisionally closed and there is only 1 hotel on booking.com, and that is full the day I'm likely to get there. It will be my longest day and I'd rather not take the risk of arriving to find there's no accommodation particularly as the next place is another 11 or 14kms depending on which guide I'm looking at.

Many thanks in advance.
Try booking.com

As I said in my original post I had already been checking out what's on booking.com as well as Gronze and the CJS guidebook and the accommodation PDF. What I was requesting was feedback on places that others have stayed - and that's what I've received - many thanks to Jill and Laurie.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back