• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CdM in Feb?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Would love people's thoughts on doing the CdM in early Feb. Not too fussed if I don't do the whole thing (have 28 or so days) as its not my first camino. Don't like super long days and prefer some people to speak too. Would it be super lonely that time of year?
Cheers
Sue

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're happy speaking Spanish there are always people to chat with in the bars. Unless they don't venture out in winter!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We did it in early April this year and saw only five other pilgrims (from memory), and only one of those did we actually see more than once, so you're likely to be lonely unless you speak Spanish as @Kiwi-family said. We do and had some very nice interactions with locals, so we felt that the spirit of the camino manifested itself in a different way from previous caminos.

The other thing to consider is the mountain pass on the day into Segovia. It might be impassable at that time of year (it was impassable the day after we crossed it), and that would be a shame as this was easily my favourite day on the Madrid.

I walked to Simancas late january/early february. didn't see or meet any other pilgrims. not too much happening in the towns either.
so perhaps avoid those dates if you're not looking for solitude.

My son and I finished the Madrid mid-June. There were very few peregrinos; in fact, most nights we were alone in the albergues. The stage from Cercedilla to Segovia is hard; I can’t imagine slipping around on the stones in rain or snow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will confirm everything that has been said so far. There are not going to be many other pilgrims on the Madrid in February. And it is likely that the mountain pass will be un-walkable, which would be a shame. Even in good conditions, it is one of the most difficult stages on any Camino, and so spectacular.

We walked the Madrid, beginning April 5, 2018. We only saw 6 other pilgrims before Sahagun! It is one of our favorite routes, with very little asphalt and friendly townsfolk.

For having walked the CdeM in April, I would add a sleeping bag to your kit. Although most of the albergues have heating, some don't switch it on and some have just a small electric heater which can be insufficient. I also carried a hot water bottle as my very crazy not so luxury item! The only place that was really uncomfortable with the cold was the albergue in Ane.
Like others have mentioned the camino is a solitary one, most of the time I had the albergue to myself.
As for the mountain pass between Cercedilla and Segovia my advice would be to wait till the last moment to make your decision depending on the weather and the locals' advice. I have no mountain or snow hiking experience or gear so the decision was super easy for me! It's very easy to take the train from Cercedilla (3 a day). Actually it was a very mild winter and the conditions were warmer in February than the day in April when I was there;-)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.