• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celebrating a significant date: suggestions sought

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
My darling and I will be starting in Almería on 22 September. We're slow walkers, and although I have given us some flexibility, I have had to plan our walk to make sure she can have some enjoyment.

We're celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year, and according to my plan, we would be celebrating in Guadix, Los Baños (Cortés y Graena) or La Peza. Most probably Los Baños. Actually, if all goes to plan, it's highly likely the significant date will be as we walk from Guadix to Los Baños (yes, a short stage. Didn't I tell you we are slow walkers, distance challenged? ☺️)

I'm looking for suggestions of a nice place to stay and a good place to have a celebratory dinner.

If it is in La Peza, we're staying at the albergue, and we'll probably go to the local bar. So we might celebrate in style earlier.

So I'll welcome suggestions for Guadix and Los Baños.

In Los Baños, the Hotel Balneario de Graena looks nice, but I need a suggestion for dinner. Or other suggestions for accommodation.

In Guadix, I'm open to all suggestions. I'd like to be close to the centre, and we will have experienced a night in a cueva when we stop at La Huertezuela.

¡Muchísimas gracias!
¡Buen Camino!

Post scriptum: when we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary, I had thought we could celebrate the 40th by walking the Great Wall in China and cruising the Three Gorges. How things change: after our amazing experience walking from Switzerland to SdC in 2018, there's no better place in the world where I would want to celebrate our anniversary but on the Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations, AJ!

Paco of the Almería group lives in Guadix and he is very friendly and proud of his city. Maybe you could contact him. He is the person behind the Facebook group - Camino Mozarabe de Santiago Comarca de Guadix. In case you are not on Facebook and can't access that page, here is the posted contact information: WhatsApp 34 615 95 27 63, and email mozarabeacci@gmail.com. I expect that he would be the ideal person to help you with suggestions for lodging and dinner - either in Guadix or nearby.

Some of us stayed in the very beautiful Casa de la Escultora when it was operating as an albergue. There was an open albergue-type area as well as some private rooms. You can see photos on various reservations sites, but it seems not to be available and the Mozarabe guide shows it as temporarily closed. Here is a website for la escultora herself.

I hope this helps. Guadix is a good place for a rest day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Congratulations, AJ!

Paco of the Almería group lives in Guadix and he is very friendly and proud of his city. Maybe you could contact him. He is the person behind the Facebook group - Camino Mozarabe de Santiago Comarca de Guadix. In case you are not on Facebook and can't access that page, here is the posted contact information: WhatsApp 34 615 95 27 63, and email mozarabeacci@gmail.com. I expect that he would be the ideal person to help you with suggestions for lodging and dinner - either in Guadix or nearby.

Some of us stayed in the very beautiful Casa de la Escultora when it was operating as an albergue. There was an open albergue-type area as well as some private rooms. You can see photos on various reservations sites, but it seems not to be available and the Mozarabe guide shows it as temporarily closed. Here is a website for la escultora herself.

I hope this helps. Guadix is a good place for a rest day.
Thank you @C clearly !

I'll contact Paco, and ask him for suggestions.

As part of my planning, I read @Magwood 's excellent blog about the Mozárabe. I saw that you had stayed at La Escultora.
It does not appear at all on the latest guide of the Asociación Jacobea de Almería-Granada's guide. Paco might be able to give me more details.

We have planned a rest day in Guadix.

¡Muchísimas gracias!

My darling and I will be starting in Almería on 22 September. We're slow walkers, and although I have given us some flexibility, I have had to plan our walk to make sure she can have some enjoyment.

We're celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year, and according to my plan, we would be celebrating in Guadix, Los Baños (Cortés y Graena) or La Peza. Most probably Los Baños. Actually, if all goes to plan, it's highly likely the significant date will be as we walk from Guadix to Los Baños (yes, a short stage. Didn't I tell you we are slow walkers, distance challenged? ☺️)

I'm looking for suggestions of a nice place to stay and a good place to have a celebratory dinner.

If it is in La Peza, we're staying at the albergue, and we'll probably go to the local bar. So we might celebrate in style earlier.

In Los Baños, the Hotel Balneario de Graena looks nice, but I need a suggestion for dinner. Or other suggestions for accommodation.

In Guadix, I'm open to all suggestions. I'd like to be close to the centre, and we will have experienced a night in a cueva when we stop at La Huertezuela.

¡Muchísimas gracias!
¡Buen Camino!

Post scriptum: when we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary, I had thought we could celebrate the 40th by walking the Great Wall in China and cruising the Three Gorges. How things change: after our amazing experience walking from Switzerland to SdC in 2018, there's no better place in the world where I would want to celebrate our anniversary but on the Camino!
Congratulations! We celebrated our 40th Anniversary last October while on the Camino. We spent that day doing the usual “Camino stuff” with our Camino family and friends. We certainly let every know and many congratulations and celebrations were had.
Saved the special romantic dinner for when we got back home. 💕
And we’ll do the same this year when we walk again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, AJ,
Just curious to know if you`ve found a good place for a special celebration.

We had a “goodbye lunch” for a friend who was leaving the camino in Guadix. We didn’t have much time becuse of his bus connection, and thought we’d stop in the nearby 4 star hotel. We assumed they would have a decent restaurant. WRONG. It was not good. It must be the Hotel Palacio de Oñate based on google maps. Surely you will find something better.

Hi, AJ,
Just curious to know if you`ve found a good place for a special celebration.

We had a “goodbye lunch” for a friend who was leaving the camino in Guadix. We didn’t have much time becuse of his bus connection, and thought we’d stop in the nearby 4 star hotel. We assumed they would have a decent restaurant. WRONG. It was not good. It must be the Hotel Palacio de Oñate based on google maps. Surely you will find something better.
Hello @peregrina2000 ,
I followed @C clearly 's advice and contacted Paco by email. He gave me his number and asked me to contact him via WhatsApp. He hasn't made any suggestions yet.

A former member of the forum suggested open air dining at the Plaza de la Constitución, and Restaurante Boabdil.

Although our anniversary day is when we leave Guadix to walk to Los Baños, we have decided to mark the day in Guadix on the 1st of October.

And if we find something nice in Los Baños, we'll extend the celebration ☺️

As for the accommodation, Paco has confirmed that la Casa de la Escultora will not open, so we're going to stay at the Habitaciones Las Termas. We have experienced cuevas previously, and we're planning to sleep in a cueva in La Huertezuela, so we thought we would stay closer to the cathedral in Guadix.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back