• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celebrating Holy Mass

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking the Camino this summer. Any priests out there able to tell me what they did for celebrating Holy Mass en route?
Father, just carry diocesan credentials with you (the standard letter will suffice). Introduce yourself at the local parish and you'll likely be able to concelebrate at the (usually evening) Mass or celebrate a private Mass.

One of the challenges will be finding a Missal in English, although certainly there are lightweight options to carry with you (use of a digital version might be forgiven in this instance, LOL). Most parishes will have spare vestments, with the usual challenges of fit and varying levels of cleanliness. Most priests walk without vestments or Mass kits of their own, but some will send them forward using a baggage service. Occasionally, you'll see clerical attire, but most tend to walk incognito, including a few bishops I know. Also, I don't think I ever saw a Spanish parish priest in clerics.

The dead giveaway of clergy and religious is the breviary (unless using a digital version on your smart phone/tablet). Often little pockets of clergy, seminarians, religious, etc. form to say the hours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This may be a bit off topic, but I know that JohnnieWalker has lined up a full summer contingent of English speaking priests who say mass in a small, ancient chapel off to the left of the main altar in Santiago. I am not a priest, but I think it would be an awfully great way to spend a few weeks of a summer, living in Santiago and saying mass to English speaking people, many of whom have just experienced the most profound ride of their lives.

Laurie -- What a great gift Johnnie Walker has arranged. I wish I had known about that last summer. I never found an English-speaking priest on the entire Camino to hear my Confession. Mass in English would have been a double blessing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie -- What a great gift Johnnie Walker has arranged. I wish I had known about that last summer. I never found an English-speaking priest on the entire Camino to hear my Confession. Mass in English would have been a double blessing.

Koilife, I think this is the first summer that the chapel has been having English masses on a regular basis. Don't know about future summers, but it seems to be a big hit. And for anyone who might be interested, the mass is at 10:30 am.

Buen camino, Laurie

Traveling priests are always welcome to say Mass in the little towns where they may turn up. Ask your hospitalero or a bartender who in the town has the key to the church, and let them know why you're asking. Here in Moratinos, it's a great occasion when a pilgrim priest offers a service, even in another language. We ring the bells and call everyone in for the event!

Priest friends have told me that they have had the warmest reception (although one fulminated against a particular and exceptionally unhospitable parocco, to whom he unkindly referred in the most unclerical terms!). Bring your celebret so that they know you're kosher! On arrival in Santiago, let the Pilgrim Welcome Office know and I am told that sometimes they can arrange for pilgrim priests to join in a concelebration at the Pilgrims' Mass.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went to this english speaking Mass in the small chapel last April. Wonderful.
Likewise. It is a wonderful opportunity. I met the priest later and learnt that he had walked the CF beforehand. I know that it shouldn't make any difference, but it was nice to know that he had been a pilgrim.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.