• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celebrating Mass

priesthiker

Another (soon-to-be) priest and I will be hiking the Camino in June. We would like to celebrate Mass every day. I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it was to find a Catholic Church in the various cities/towns and get permission to celebrate Mass (we will be bringing a travel Mass kit, we just need an altar).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a church in almost every village.
Although you may have to find someone to give you a key.

When we were in Rabanal the priests were on holiday :lol: :lol: :lol: so a pilgrim priest from Czechoslovakia said Mass in the back yard, using a table for an altar.

It was wonderful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sorry I won't be there at that time to catch one of your masses :) Every village has a church and some of them are out of this world...
Buen Camino :)

During the Holy Year, there were faculties for visiting priests to say Mass along the route. I would imagine that, with the end of the Holy Year, the faculties expired. I imagine that you would have to write to the local bishop(s) along the route to get the appropriate permissions (Pamplona-Tudela, Burgos, Leon, Palencia, Astorga, I think Vigo, and Santiago). It might be that, if you pack your celebret, local priests will be accommodating, but I am not certain. I wonder if the Pilgrims' office in Santiago could arrange a blanket faculty for you??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
priesthiker said:
find a Catholic Church in the various cities/towns and get permission to celebrate Mass (we will be bringing a travel Mass kit, we just need an altar).
As an ordinated priest you have the Lord's permission to celebrate the Eucharist wherever you are, and you may find quite a number of pilgrims, happy to attend your Mass!
Priests in Spain are in short supply. Often parish priests in larger towns service various surrounding church communities. In the latter you may find a warden of the church keys, otherwise you can celebrate in opportune surroundings. In the larger towns you may want to ask the local priest to either co-celebrate with him (if there is a pilgrim's Mass for example) or celebrate at a convenient hour. Ask the local albergue owner or hospitalero about the most convenient solution.
Advance congratulations for your ordination and a special Ultreya!

Visiting priests and Masses are welcomed with open arms in many villages along the camino. When you pass through Moratinos or San Nicolas del Real Camino( two pueblos just before Sahagun) I hope you will stop and say a Mass here -- I will get the key for you, and ring the bell, even! You will have several happy locals in the pews with you, and a place to eat and spend the night as well.

Rebekah

Just because I gave a decent canon law answer does not mean that Rebekah and Fraluji are not more on the mark than I am. The Spanish clergy have a wonderful way of interpreting rules.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
oursonpolaire said:
It might be that, if you pack your celebret, local priests will be accommodating, but I am not certain. I wonder if the Pilgrims' office in Santiago could arrange a blanket faculty for you??

Hola - this isn't a service the Pilgrims' Office offers. Indeed celebrets ( a Priests Passport) are not required by the cathedral from visiting priests who wish to concelebrate the Pilgrims' Mass. Just turn up in the sacristy, get vested and go on.

John

Love that John! I have no Celebret but would love to "try it on" by turning up and concelebrating. As a 73 year old "cradle" Catholic I know just what to say and do with the vestments and on the altar but would they be happy with that since I am a woman? Only joking!
Maricristina

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.