• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Celebration, Worship, and Closure in Santiago: 3 Resources

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
There are bits and pieces of this in different threads, but I wanted to bring them together here. For all of you on the Camino this season, once you arrive in Santiago de Compostela there are three English-speaking resources for you:

1. English Mass in the Cathedral of Santiago
Monday through Saturday at 10:30am, Sundays at 9:00am

From May 2 to October 15, 2016, the Camino Chaplaincy holds Mass in English for pilgrims and visitors every day. It is held in the Chapel of Nuestra Señora de Soledad, a small chapel off to the side of the main Cathedral nave. Father Joe, @JohnnieWalker , Stephen, and the Camino Chaplaincy volunteers welcome, celebrate, and spiritually nurture the pilgrims in attendance. It is a refreshing and wonderful time of gathering together and focusing on the Lord. All are welcome to Mass. Find out more about the Camino Chaplaincy, and their other Mass initiatives along the Camino at their website.

2. Camino Companions - Pilgrim's Office, Rua Carretas, 33

Marion fcJ and Katherine fcJ reside in Santiago for six months every year, and will be here through mid-October. They meet with pilgrims one-on-one and in small groups to help them debrief and talk through their Camino experiences. Set times are from Monday to Saturday, at 10:00am and 3:00pm every day, but they are also available for appointments if you write to caminocompanions@gmail.com.

They also have Prayer at 9.30 each day and they encourage pilgrims to spend a short time quietly in the chapel at Rua Carretas when they visit the Pilgrim's Office. Marion and Katherine also invite pilgrims to join them for an informal chat over tea and coffee in the Sacristy at the back of the Chapel. All are welcome!

After English Mass on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, they also host an informal coffee time in a nearby cafe. They always want to hear your stories, but be sure to ask them about their stories as well! You can find out more about the Camino Companions on their Facebook page.

3. Pilgrim House - Rua Nova, 19
Open 11:00am - 8:00pm most days, closed Wednesdays and Sundays

The Pilgrim House welcome center is a place where pilgrims can sit for a while and have space to spread out, talk, journal, and read. All pilgrims are welcome. Our team, much like the Camino Chaplaincy and the Camino Companions, is here to celebrate your arrival, hear your stories, and help you process and reflect on the journey. Practical services like laundry, printing boarding passes, and backpack storage are also available. Pilgrim Meet-Ups are held on Mondays and Thursdays at 6:00pm, and Reflective Meditation is held on Tuesdays at 6:00pm. More information about Pilgrim House can be found on the PH website and at Facebook.

The Camino Chaplaincy, Camino Companions, and Pilgrim House staff got together in the beginning of May to share lunch and talk about our different initiatives. We all look forward to meeting you when you make it to Santiago. Until then, Buen Camino! Enjoy every step!

Faith

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi @natefaith,

Thank you for an excellent and very informative post, I'd been looking for a thread on facilities available and open to people of faith who are looking to have a 'comedown' period of reflection after walking the Camino. This has it all.

I arrive in Santiago hopefully on 1-2 October and will definitely take in the services on offer, though I have a silly question for you. Does the main pilgrims mass take place at a specific time of day and is it every day including Sunday? Many Thanks once again.

Thomas

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @natefaith,

Thank you for an excellent and very informative post, I'd been looking for a thread on facilities available and open to people of faith who are looking to have a 'comedown' period of reflection after walking the Camino. This has it all.

I arrive in Santiago hopefully on 1-2 October and will definitely take in the services on offer, though I have a silly question for you. Does the main pilgrims mass take place at a specific time of day and is it every day including Sunday? Many Thanks once again.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Welcome to the Forum! And - not a silly question at all! Here's the information you're looking for: http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/masses
And if you'd like to be sure to see the botafumeiro swing, the Cathedral does it every Friday evening at its 7:30pm mass.

Have a wonderful time planning your Camino and hopefully we'll all see you in October!
Take care,
Faith

The other activity I'd like to mention is Taize Prayer which is being held in the Pilgrim's Office this summer. Here's more information, courtesy of Katherine fcJ (Camino Companions):

"Taize Prayer is in the chapel at the Pilgrims Office at 5.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - at present. This will happen every day at 5.00 pm from June 15- August 15. Fr. Sergio, a guitar-playing Jesuit leads this and it is a lovely ecumenical event... Taize is an ecumenical monastery in France and has very special chants which lend themselves to prayer- hence the name Taize Prayer.

Sergio also will offer some other activities at San Agustin from June 15-Aug. 15."

Buen Camino,
Faith

The Camino Chaplaincy, Camino Companions, and Pilgrim House staff got together in the beginning of May to share lunch and talk about our different initiatives. We all look forward to meeting you when you make it to Santiago. Until then, Buen Camino! Enjoy every step!
Faith, thank you--and how great that there is connection between all of you. It was wonderful and very touching to meet you and the PH team in March and to see what you're doing for all of us! I'm sorry to be missing the high season worship (including Taize...wonderful!), but am glad for everyone else that these things are available in Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
They meet with pilgrims one-on-one and in small groups to help them debrief and talk through their Camino experience
There is no doubt that arriving in Santiago at the end of the pilgrimage is a special time for almost everyone. I have experienced that euphoric feeling twice, on my first two caminos.
But the third was very different. Things had been happening in my life that year, that I had thought I had come to terms with, and that another camino would put to rest. Not so.
The time alone for intense personal reflection on that journey had put me in a dark place, and I arrived, I think in a state of real angst. I don't think I have come across others mentioning similar experiences, but it must not be uncommon. (We only tend to read about the positives). With a heavy heart, I attended the English Mass you have mentioned, and had the good fortune to approach the husband and wife volunteers at the chaplaincy, who very generously gave their time to hear me out and offer a sympathetic ear and very compassionate encouragement. I have since expressed my gratitude to them personally, and told them how fortunate I was that they were in the right place at the right time.
Had I known of the service you mention, provided by Marion and Katherine, I would certainly have availed myself of it. I urge others who may find themselves in similar circumstances to do so too.

Quick announcement: Father Joe is heading back to Ireland for the weekend to officiate at a wedding, so there will NOT be English Mass this coming Saturday and Sunday, June 4 and 5. English Mass will resume on Monday the 6th at 10:30am.
Buen Camino!
Faith

The other activity I'd like to mention is Taize Prayer which is being held in the Pilgrim's Office this summer. Here's more information, courtesy of Katherine fcJ (Camino Companions):

"Taize Prayer is in the chapel at the Pilgrims Office at 5.00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - at present. This will happen every day at 5.00 pm from June 15- August 15. Fr. Sergio, a guitar-playing Jesuit leads this and it is a lovely ecumenical event... Taize is an ecumenical monastery in France and has very special chants which lend themselves to prayer- hence the name Taize Prayer.

Sergio also will offer some other activities at San Agustin from June 15-Aug. 15."

Buen Camino,
Faith
Hi Faith

I am returning for my 4th trip (this time leading a church group) in early October. I discovered the Taize on my third trip two months ago and was thrilled. Do you know if they are still doing the service? I actually attended on a Saturday night June 27.

Paz,
Mel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Faith

I am returning for my 4th trip (this time leading a church group) in early October. I discovered the Taize on my third trip two months ago and was thrilled. Do you know if they are still doing the service? I actually attended on a Saturday night June 27.

Paz,
Mel

Hi Mel! Sorry I didn't see your message until now. I'm not sure if they're still doing Taize but I can try to find out. Are you already in Santiago? I'll be on duty tomorrow (Tuesday, Oct 4) if you want to stop by Pilgrim House and chat, and we can look together if I haven't found out yet!
Buen Camino!
Faith

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back