• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cell phone on camino frances

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenD

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on June 2017
Hi. I am hoping to do the Camino Frances beginning on June 1, 2017. My question is in regards to using my cell phone. When I did a search on the topic there was mention of a SIM card. I just was not clear if you buy a card in France or Spain and just put it in your existing phone or do I need to get another phone. I'm just bringing it to be able to call home every week or so and for emergencies on the camino. Are there other options like using a phone in town, etc...Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will be hard pressed to find public phones these days, as well as computers to rent for 5 minutes for example.

You can go two ways: 1) add an international plan to your services from your current provider. Ot may be a bit more costly, bit you are sure it will work, and from day 1. 2) you can buy a Sim Card but for that your phine has to be "unlocked". In my case, unlocking cost me 30$ for my provider to punch in a code that would allow me to use a different provider when away.

If you go for the local Sim, you can purchase it is larger towns. My guess is that, assuming you are doing the Frances from SJPP, that would be Pamplona. Either is a Orange, Vodaphone or other street front store but also from their kiosks in large department stores like the Corte Ingles.

There are different packages, if you don't want to have long conversations, just to check in, a 20€ plan may work well. There are lots of companies, google a bit before leaving home. Be sure to have someone explain how to block data roaming or your plan will barely last. If your card runs out of credit, you can add to it in small grocery stores and tobaco shops.

Keep in mind that free WIFI is available in lots of bars and albergues. In bars, buy a coffee and ask for the "clave del weeefee" and you're set.

While I rarely use my phone at home I do like giving the opportunities of getting calls in case of a home emergency and vice versa, disling 112 (the European 911 equivalent), booking ahead, and I also use my photo to take pictures, its most important job.

Ok, you could also buy a phone that you will only use for the Camino, but I think that it not for environmentally friendly...

I hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: Kip
Hi JenD,
I am about to head of to Europe for a few months and am going to use an international sim from www.worldsim.com. It works like this:
* worldsim.com send me a new sim card for my phone. The sim comes with a UK telephone number and a USA phone number. Referred to as Virtual Phone Numbers as I rent them by the month; in aggregate about USD$7 per month while I am travelling
* I then log onto their website and attach my current Australian phone number. This means that when I am in Spain, anyone from home can phone me, same cost to them as before and free of charge to me.
* I can attach a Spanish phone number for a cost of USD$7.50 per month
* In Spain I can phone a Spanish telephone number at a marginal cost of about USD$0.20 per minute; I can phone Australia for about USD$0.30 per minute; I can send an sms text message for about USD$0.08
* In Spain I can phone Australia for a cost of about USD$0.30 per minute; receive calls from Australia for free; sending SMS text messages cost me about USD$0.08
* Data/internet packages are also available at about USD$0.20 per MB

I think the benefits are - that I can attach my home telephone number; I can receive calls worldwide at no charge to me and no difference to the caller; I can call within Spain at minimal cost and use a Spanish local number while I am there.

Perhaps Google search Travel Sim for other business results in the USA
cheers

Reactions: Kip
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jen, have a look at Amazon, search under "unlocked international cell phones". There you can buy an unlocked, international quad band smart phone for $50-100 that will work with a prepaid Spanish SIM card you buy when you get there. These phones will not be the latest technology and may be refurbished and probably won't have a warranty, but the will (probably) work. You will find vendors for local SIM cards in most airports or phone stores in cities. The Spanish SIM card can be recharged with voice minutes/data almost everywhere. I forget the exact details, but incremental prepaid minutes/data recharges are usually Euro 10 - 20 and the minutes are valid for a fixed period (e.g. two weeks, or a month, or longer). The prices for voice minutes or data MB will vary by carrier, but for casual / emergency-only use telephony and the occasional check of email on the cell network the phone plus local SIM with voice and data may be cheaper than getting an international plan from a US carrier. This is especially true if you plan other international travel and can use the phone for more than the Camino. You will have a local phone number that you can pass via email to those who might want to call you. People calling you will pay for the cost the call to Spain, you will be charged minutes used against your prepaid card. On a recent multi-year sailing trip I used this comms strategy in UK, France, Iberia, and Morocco and across the Caribbean. Arrive in a new country, just buy a new SIM card. There is no "sticker shock" from an international travel plan, or monthly charges because you pay as you go.

More info here: https://www.cnet.com/news/traveling-to-spain-local-prepaid-sim-or-international-roaming/

Hi. I am hoping to do the Camino Frances beginning on June 1, 2017. My question is in regards to using my cell phone. When I did a search on the topic there was mention of a SIM card. I just was not clear if you buy a card in France or Spain and just put it in your existing phone or do I need to get another phone. I'm just bringing it to be able to call home every week or so and for emergencies on the camino. Are there other options like using a phone in town, etc...Thanks!
Keep shopping. An important factor is support while you're in Europe. Will you receive text messages with instructions - if so in what language? If you have to speak to someone for support, who do you end up talking to and in what language? Will you be travelling in Spain only? If you cross a national border, even though you're still in the EU, do your phone settings need modifying? How do you top up your account if necessary? That should be easily done via an international website - in English.

I bought a SIM in Madrid and put it in my iPhone, used it in Spain and France. If you do that, your smart phone must be "unlocked", that is, fully paid for and not tied to your local USA time-payment plan. If you pay cash in full for your phone when you buy it, it's unlocked, that is not linked to a single phone service supplier.

You have many options. Keep hunting until you're happy. You have plenty of time. It may seem daunting now, but you'll learn as you shop around. Talk to people, marketing websites can be confusing. Have you tried YouTube? Lots of demo videos there.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I use T-Mobile and get unlimited data worldwide. I make free or very low cost - 2¢ a minute calls using the Viber app.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can you put a SIM card into your US phone while in Europe? Sure. But are you prepared to have your cell phone number changed to a Spanish cell phone number? Do you have the time and inclination to contact everyone in your phone to tell them you new cell phone number? And are you going to take the time to let them know they will be paying international rates to call you new cell phone number? Or is getting a reasonable international plan less of a hassle?

I kept in touch mostly via text message. International plans available in USA seem more generous than plans on offer here in Australia. Made phone calls mostly when Wifi available (often). What you will need most is data - for Google Maps, texts and net access. Your temp Eurozone phone number is sent automatically with each text message.

Calls can be made over data using Skype, FaceTime, Viber and others.

Beware of SIM/plans that limit transmission of pics with text messages.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally I buy an international phone card in country. Their are still plenty of available phones in cafes, post offices, railway and bus stations. I tend to rely on texts and use Skype to call people using the free WiFi at the numerous cafés or even Albergues on the way. Its a real pain buying a new SIM as very easy to mislay them, organise an unlocked phone and telling everyone of the number change. But then I am not an avid lover of always being available.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The beauty of having a new Sim card is that your old home number will not work while you're away and you will be left in peace, except from tne 2 or 3 people who may truly need to reach you: don't tell others your Camino number.

We carried 2 phones. One a smart phone with data turned off. We can check email in places with free wi-fi, consult our Brierly map and check accommodations on Mi Camino app. The other is our "travel phone" - a very basic unlocked phone we bought for less than $20 in Scotland a few years ago for calls in-country. We've used it for several trips to GB, Italy, France and Spain, buying a SIM card for each country. It's the cheapest option we've found.

My S4 unfortunately died 2 days into the camino and I didn't get a cgance to buy a new one a week later. I tell you it was quite a experience buying a cell phone from a shop where no one spoke English!

If you just want a SIM I would suggest Movistar who have some good deals. Also there are a few international SIM cards you can get. My wife and I had EURail SIM cards which we got free because we bought and EU Rail pass. They worked well and reception was generally good.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I spent 7 weeks along the Camino Frances and then on to Muxia and Finisterre.

I have US iphone, not unlocked. My carrier could/would not give me a reasonable international plan, so I kept my phone on airplane mode all the time, and only used wifi for email and whatsapp. I communicated with many through FaceBook, though I am not a huge FB fan.

This worked for me. You have received some good options, I'm sure you will find the way that works best for you.
Ultreia, Priscilla

Another option is to use VOIP. Check out RYNGA, for a 5 euro top up at CKVOIP you get 60 days of calls, 300 mins /week. You can call many countries for free. ie USA landline and mobile. Register with your username/password at Rynga. Don't buy credit at Rynga buy it from CVvoip and avoid 19% German vat.
Download the mobile app to your phone, search our free wifi, log in and away you go. The free wifi along the camino was ok.

If you use the Wi-Fi and have face book you can call through them for free.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are all awesome! Thank you for taking the time to respond and for all of the info. A part of me wants to totally disconnect from the world and enjoy whatever the camino presents; but it would be unfair to my loved ones to not have contact with me for 6 weeks or more. So that's why I'll need a phone. Believe it or not, one of my closest friends does not have a FB account so that's not an option.
Again...thanks!

I carried a gps with me for my first camino. It tracked my location in 10 min increments and posted them online. My parents watched the feed and felt more secure watching my progress as I crossed the country. My dad would check it each morning after he woke up to see how far I had walked that day.

A part of me wants to totally disconnect from the world and enjoy whatever the camino presents; but it would be unfair to my loved ones to not have contact with me for 6 weeks or more.
Again...thanks!
Why would ot be not fair if you set up a way to 1) inform them regularly you are OK, and 2) have them contact you in case your house burns down or someone gets terribly ill? Other than that, let's all share in the beauty of the Camino and brining life back down to essentials.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
... A part of me wants to totally disconnect from the world and enjoy whatever the camino presents; but it would be unfair to my loved ones to not have contact with me for 6 weeks or more. ...

Easy solution: Turn off the phone (also saves battery) for the majority of the day and tell your friends and family that you only will turn it on, let's say for an hour each morning and evening, to check for messages etc. Having a phone with you doesn't mean it has to be on all the time ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

I use t-mobile all the time including when I'm in Europe. unlimited text and data plus free phone calls when in wifi which is usually available in all of the villages. when I walked from SJPDP to Santiago last year I sent and received text many times during the.day. no fees. great service

Why would ot be not fair if you set up a way to 1) inform them regularly you are OK, and 2) have them contact you in case your house burns down or someone gets terribly ill? Other than that, let's all share in the beauty of the Camino and brining life back down to essentials.
I have not done the Camino yet but I plan to do so in April 2017, Bu have travel quite extensively in the world and during my last extensive bus trip in Malaysia and Thailand last year I used to buy a SIM cards in each of these countries because unless you have a roaming facilities it will cost you quite a fortune to contact or phone home. So you buy that card and load it with some data and then you are ready to WhatsApp and text . The only problem is that the recipients would not recognise your number because they will not receive it under the name that your old number was stored or their phone. To overcome that is just to tell them who you are in your first WhatsApp and text and tell them that this is only a temporary number and that you will revert to your real number once you back at home. I found this the most cheapest way of making connection unless you want to make phone calls every day. I find texting at WhatsApp excellent and cheap

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bring a smart phone, if for no other reason than it being your camera. With things like Skype, WhatsApp, FaceTime, etc you no longer need a phone plan. Good thing about Skype is that your connection is with your home country. You can make unlimited calls there to anyone for free. Wifi is available in almost every village and alburgue. With apps like Strava you can keep track of your course. GPS apps will give you maps and such. Download the maps ahead of time tho. The only reason you might need a phone plan is in an emergency situation ... if you have cell service. Of course, now you need a charger.

I did the Camino this year with a cell phone. I bought a data plan from Orange. I'd recommend Moviestar over Orange if I went again. Orange has very little store support on the Camino and everything is in Spanish. The reason I got a data plan was that most wifi was quite slow because of the number of people using it, therefore Skype dropped quite often. With a data plan I had pretty good reception. I used it in those busy places to book ahead as well. Busy places being some of the cities and the last 100km from Sarria. It cost me 20Euros for 30 days. After 30 days or when your data use runs out you have to find a place to buy another or get it online if you can find someone who speaks Spanish to help you. Many of the private albergues, which tend to be newer and more upgraded, take reservations in advance for a couple of euros above the walk in rate. I used Hotel.com. Good luck.

Several options.

Google Fi purchased here in the USA will allow you to use data and voice in Spain and almost anywhere else in the world. The overseas service supposedly isn't expensive - cheaper than buying a local SIM card. But you have to have a Fi phone. The cheapest for sale now is a Nexus 5X. Others who have use the Fi service in Spain have said the service was as good as using a local SIM Card.

I took an unlocked old Nokia and with a little research decided on Vodafone for service. Worked fine for me for both voice and data. But I kept getting messages (which were ads and promotional text messages) in Spanish on the phone which I could not understand. There was an issue with reloading the SIM card (had to go to a Vodaphone store twice to get it sorted) so for a few Euros more it would have been worth it to buy more time and data.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carried a gps with me for my first camino. It tracked my location in 10 min increments and posted them online. My parents watched the feed and felt more secure watching my progress as I crossed the country. My dad would check it each morning after he woke up to see how far I had walked that day.

I used Glympse to do that so people could see where I was in real time and how far I walked. Thought it was pretty nice!

Easy solution: Turn off the phone (also saves battery) for the majority of the day and tell your friends and family that you only will turn it on, let's say for an hour each morning and evening, to check for messages etc. Having a phone with you doesn't mean it has to be on all the time ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
Yup, bringing my iphone for photos and a call to my wife now and then,but I plan to leave it in airplane mode most of the time.

We used T mobile for several reasons. No need to change our SIM card. First there is no charge for texts and data is also free. We called using Wi-Fi calls when at the albergue in the evening so no charges for that either. Did make calls for reservations closer to Santiago as the Camino was more crowded I'm the last 100 km.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think the variety of responses here tells us that we will all find the solution that works best for our individual financial and technological abilities. Being on the low end of the tech sophistication spectrum, I have come kicking and screaming into the smart phone world. For years I had a Spanish phone, bought with a SIM card that I just changed every year. This is easy to do, you can get a phone in Spain with 20 euros of calling time for not much more than 20 euros.

I bought a smart phone in 2013 in order to communicate with my family via Skype because my mom was in very poor health and I found that using it with wifi was very easy. Wifi is virtually everywhere in Spain. You may not have a strong enough connection to do a video connection, but you can always talk, in my experience anyway.

Then last year I took another plunge and left the Spanish phone behind. I also left my camera behind, so I had a net loss of two devices. YAY! The Vodaphone guy put a Spanish SIM card into my smart phone. The plan was very cheap and came with data, which I did occasionally use. My family could always contact me via email or whatsap, and they had my Spanish number for calling in emergencies. Worked perfectly.

Whatever plan you choose, I think it's a good idea to have the ability to make calls within Spain, but that's just me. I agree completely with Anemone that not having access to your US phone number, so long as important people have your Spain phone number, is one of the beauties of walking a camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.