• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phone purchase

vasque

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France September 2012
Camino Frances 2023
My cell phone won't work in Europe and I'm thinking of purchasing one in France (Paris, Bayonne or St. Jean) or somewhere in Spain. Will use it primarily to make hotel reservations on the Camino Frances. Would appreciate advice. Where to purchase? Approximate cost? Thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Before buying a phone, look into buying just the card and switch out the one you have for a new one that can be serviced in Europe. The only drawback with this is if your phone is locked to your present provider at home. Depending on the rules where you live, unlocking may or may not have to be done bu ypur provider. Here in Canada, we do have a new ruling that n phone will be allowed to be locked by major providers as of Dec 1/16.

If you need further help or have more questions, I am in the cellphone business in North America and Europe and am happy to work with you. No, this is not an advertisement or sales pitch. Just happy to help, if I can.

Before buying a phone, look into buying just the card and switch out the one you have for a new one that can be serviced in Europe. The only drawback with this is if your phone is locked to your present provider at home. Depending on the rules where you live, unlocking may or may not have to be done bu ypur provider. Here in Canada, we do have a new ruling that n phone will be allowed to be locked by major providers as of Dec 1/16.

If you need further help or have more questions, I am in the cellphone business in North America and Europe and am happy to work with you. No, this is not an advertisement or sales pitch. Just happy to help, if I can.

What she says. It is likely not the phone, but rather the sim card. If you phone is "unlocked" you should be able to get a sim card in Spain and that will solve your problems.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As of June 15th there's no more roaming in EU so it's no difference whether you buy French or Spanish SIM. It just depends on the package (mostly data) you get from different providers.

If I were you I'd buy French prepaid SIM card at the airport (surely they speak English there) but change it to Spanish once in Pamplona or later when the credit would run out. Maybe there are also possibilities for XY provider's SIMs that you can recharge in France AND in Spain???

My understanding of "no more roaming" is that the EU will now be considered one area for voice calls and cellular data use. This would be similar to free calling anywhere in the US and Canada under your US / Canadian cellular plan, also with no roaming fees.

Europe, with so many small nation states is analogous to Canadian provinces or US states each having mobile / cellular plans and then imposing roaming charges as you cross provincial or state lines. Silly ain't it? So, if I understood this change correctly, it is a net GOOD THING for all.

So, if you have a French SIM in your phone, you have a French phone number. But the French mobile provider will not charge you while you use your phone in Spain, or vice versa.

Please, if I misunderstand this, correct me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, if you have a French SIM in your phone, you have a French phone number. But the French mobile provider will not charge you while you use your phone in Spain, or vice versa.

Please, if I misunderstand this, correct me.

I think your explanation might be misinterpreted. The French mobile phone network WILL charge you for using your phone in Spain - at the same rates which they charge for using it in France. They will not charge an additional premium for doing so.

I think your explanation might be misinterpreted. The French mobile phone network WILL charge you for using your phone in Spain - at the same rates which they charge for using it in France. They will not charge an additional premium for doing so.
Have a subscription from T.Mobile in Holland , now I can use my phone in Europa at the same rate as in Holland .
No extra charge.

Wish you well, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bit can you walk into any grocery store, or just about, and recharge it?

And btw, in Canada, most plans are still by province. You pay a premium for Canada wide included service. :mad:

And thus, Canada had the most expensive mobile rates in the world.... grrrrrr

I'd love to be able to use my Spanish Orange sim card in other countries in Europe, but the only way to recharge it is through a local shop. It means that very soon after I leave Spain I run out of credit and it becomes useless. I've tried unsuccessfully to set up an online payment facility. The online website does not seem to like me (a non-Spanish credit card?). My "smart" phone won't allow me to download the relevant Spanish app, because the app store associated with my phone is based in Australia. I haven't been able to find a way round it.

It's all very annoying.

Bit can you walk into any grocery store, or just about, and recharge it?

And btw, in Canada, most plans are still by province. You pay a premium for Canada wide included service. :mad:
In Holland you can recharge a prepaid phone in stores
But when they go to Spain you can't recharge in a store , instead they can recharge there phone online.

Wish you well,Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Holland you can recharge a prepaid phone in stores
But when they go to Spain you can't recharge in a store , instead they can recharge there phone online.

Wish you well,Peter.
But only with an EU credit card. Not good non EU residents...

Have a subscription from T.Mobile in Holland , now I can use my phone in Europa at the same rate as in Holland .
No extra charge.

Wish you well, Peter.

I use t-Mobile here in the US. They allow me to use my 5 Gb monthly data plan, and accumulated data "stash" in 140 foreign countries with NO ROAMING CHARGES. This includes all of the EU. It is a god send when I am in Spain for perhaps two months annually.

One does wonder if t-Mobile allows the same, reciprocal coverage in the US to traveling EU subscribers?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One does wonder if t-Mobile allows the same, reciprocal coverage in the US to traveling EU subscribers?

I suspect the picture is very complicated because there is no universal "EU" T-Mobile contract. In the separate EU countries where they operate T-Mobile have different price structures, terms and conditions. T-Mobile users in the UK who have a monthly contract can make calls and texts from the USA to EU destinations using their regular allowance with no roaming charge and also have mobile data access in the USA included.

I suspect the picture is very complicated because there is no universal "EU" T-Mobile contract. In the separate EU countries where they operate T-Mobile have different price structures, terms and conditions. T-Mobile users in the UK who have a monthly contract can make calls and texts from the USA to EU destinations using their regular allowance with no roaming charge and also have mobile data access in the USA included.
Why oh why do these things make my head hurt?

Thanks to all for your desire to help. After calling my cell phone provider, they informed me that my phone won't work in Europe. It's an older Samsung model (S4). They suggested buying a prepaid phone in France or Spain. My questions are the following: Is that possible? Approximate cost of phone? Is it better to purchase in Spain? Thanks again for your help.

Wait till Pamplona. Go to an Orange store. I bought one for €20 including some credit. Ideal for booking ahead. It's not a Smartphone so no data.

The only reason I think it's better to purchase in Spain is that most of your Camino is in Spain.

Wifi is everywhere on Camino so you may be still able to use your S4 for the Internet. Just make sure data roaming is turned off.

Wait till Pamplona. Go to an Orange store. I bought one for €20 including some credit. Ideal for booking ahead. It's not a Smartphone so no data.

Well, actually... nowadays you can buy a cheap chinese-made Android smartphone in Spain for about 70EUR, if you go to a big box store like Mediamarkt, Alcampo... (they would be the spanish equivalents of Walmart). Add that to a data plan and you are set.

The phone won't be very good, or have much performance, but it will be a smartphone, and I guess it will do on a pinch. It depends on your budget.

The only reason I think it's better to purchase in Spain is that most of your Camino is in Spain.

Wifi is everywhere on Camino so you may be still able to use your S4 for the Internet. Just make sure data roaming is turned off.

Thanks. Great advice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks to all for your desire to help. After calling my cell phone provider, they informed me that my phone won't work in Europe. It's an older Samsung model (S4). They suggested buying a prepaid phone in France or Spain. My questions are the following: Is that possible? Approximate cost of phone? Is it better to purchase in Spain? Thanks again for your help.
When I saw this, I did a little checking to find that there appears to be eight different models of the S4 marketed in the US by different carriers, and they all appear to have slightly different frequency and channel access characteristics. Some don't provide access to earlier 2G networks, and others don't have 2G or 4G. Even if you do have one of these, you should still be able to access wifi where it is available. All the model variants appear to provide standard wifi and bluetooth access.

Even if you do have one of these, you should still be able to access wifi where it is available. All the model variants appear to provide standard wifi and bluetooth access.

I would say not to rely on wifi alone on the CF. Many albergues that I stayed in had very poor wifi and it was quite frustrating for me and many others. I was so glad I had my 3G/4G data.

You can buy a cheap phone in the Orange store in Pamplona. They do prepaid sims and 1 or 2 GBs is usually under EUR 10. They speak English too.

In 2012, at airport in Barcelona, there are booths to purchase cell phone and coverage, and then it is returned upon completion of Camino. Wish I had done this at the time. Europeans have their cells w them, but we Canadians and Americans did not. Hard to connect at days end, as we usually tried to stay in same town and Alburge

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2012, at airport in Barcelona, there are booths to purchase cell phone and coverage, and then it is returned upon completion of Camino. Wish I had done this at the time. Europeans have their cells w them, but we Canadians and Americans did not. Hard to connect at days end, as we usually tried to stay in same town and Alburge
I will definitely purchase Cell upon airport arrival in 2018

I'd love to be able to use my Spanish Orange sim card in other countries in Europe, but the only way to recharge it is through a local shop. It means that very soon after I leave Spain I run out of credit and it becomes useless. I've tried unsuccessfully to set up an online payment facility. The online website does not seem to like me (a non-Spanish credit card?). My "smart" phone won't allow me to download the relevant Spanish app, because the app store associated with my phone is based in Australia. I haven't been able to find a way round it.

It's all very annoying.
Yes definitely because of a non-Spanish credit card. After several unsuccessful tries to recharge online I rang Vodaphone and was transferred to one of their foreign language interpreters. (Fantastic service!) She told me I needed a Spanish credit card to renew online or by phone. In Spain, as Kanga says, it is easy to renew through a shop eg any reasonable sized supermarket.

Could you not buy a number of recharges before you leave Spain and then activate them when needed? I did this a few years ago and it seemed to work. I had these paper receipts with a code on to top up.

€149,-
Could you not buy a number of recharges before you leave Spain and then activate them when needed? I did this a few years ago and it seemed to work. I had these paper receipts with a code on to top up.
As they say, you didn't come down in the last shower! Brilliant idea...

It's all very annoying.
Hi - have you tried this site to recharge your sim card? I've used it numerous times to recharge my phone using my Canadian credit card and had no issues. Maybe it will work for an Australian card too?

@jozero I'm researching buying a new phone, and just read your post! I missed it while walking. Very helpful. I've got the site bookmarked for the future.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.