• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phone theft deterrent

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I bought this leash for my cell phone that I will attach inside my sleep sack at night. I was originally looking at it thinking of pickpockets when I'm in Paris before the Camino. The tether can also be looped around the wrist for a wrist strap. Also handy for people who tend to drop their phones. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQWCYMK/?tag=casaivar02-20

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks like a good idea for the sleep sack and "grab & runs" when your phone is on a cafe table. They may still get the phone but you will know about it immediately and be able to intervene in some way.

I would worry that this might actually help pick pocketers to extract your phone from your pocket while you are walking in a busy city. It's much less intrusive to pull it out by the cable than sticking their fingers in your pocket, gripping it and then pulling it out. These events are typically done in combination with some big distractions and a little physical jostling and a helper or two.

Last edited:
Looks like a good idea for the sleep sack and "grab & runs" when your phone is on a cafe table. They may still get the phone but you will know about it immediately and be able to intervene in some.

I would worry that this might actually help pick pocketers to extract your phone from your pocket while you are walking in a busy city. It's much less intrusive to pull it out by the cable than sticking their fingers in your pocket, gripping it and then pulling it out. These events are typically done in combination with some big distractions and a little physical jostling and a helper or two.
I don't carry my phone in my pocket. It's in a crossbody purse in a zippered compartment, so there would be nothing sticking out for anyone to grab.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought this leash for my cell phone
I use a leash for my phone almost always - equally to protect against my forgetfulness as against dropping from a bridge or having it stolen. The leash is long enough that I can still take photos, but it has a quick release if I need it..
I would worry that this might actually help pick pocketers to extract your phone from your pocket while you are walking in a busy city.
My leash saved my phone from a pickpocket in Prague. I was walking along in mid-day, without a care, with no one else on the street (except, apparently, lurking in a doorway), when suddenly my phone was dangling around my knees. Two men brushed by me and muttered something that I can only imagine! I am certain that one was lifting the phone from my bag and was going to hand it to his friend to hurry off while he bumped by my side to distract me.

I don't carry my phone in my pocket. It's in a crossbody purse in a zippered compartment, so there would be nothing sticking out for anyone to grab.

yes, that is a secure way to carry it.

when I pulled up the link you offered the picture below made me squirm from a security standpoint

badidea.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nothing beats a deep front pocket in a pair of close fitting pants. If I don't have that, I'm happy with my pacsafe fanny pack worn in front as a belly pack or as you say a cross body purse/pack with some anti theft engineering.

In Rome, Paris, London, NYC etc...the phone in the picture above would be separated from it's owner in a short time...with or without a leash. The carabiners have no locks or deterrents and the case is easily peeled off the phone.

I am agreeing with you, it looks like a good product. For the person in the picture above it will be useful as a keeper if the phone accidentally falls out of that back pocket. However in a pick pocket situation it may extend the life of ownership by 1 or 2 seconds.

I take an old phone with me. Worth about $0.10 if I'm lucky. Works fine for calling friends, family and alburgues I want to book into and to navigate to the albergues as well using Google Maps.

I don't care if it gets lost or stolen.

Was my wife's and that's why it has a pink cover.

Last edited:
I bought this leash for my cell phone ...

Thanks for posting the link to this! Our homemade leashes (photo near the bottom of the page) have been invaluable on two trips now, but I've been hoping to stumble across a coiled leash to shorten the length when being stored in a bag. It seems like it wouldn't get so easily tangled up with the other contents. Yours looks like just the ticket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought this leash for my cell phone that I will attach inside my sleep sack at night. I was originally looking at it thinking of pickpockets when I'm in Paris before the Camino. The tether can also be looped around the wrist for a wrist strap. Also handy for people who tend to drop their phones. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQWCYMK/?tag=casaivar02-20
Wear the phone on the front of your body. I carry mine zipped in a fanny pack and pinned to me.

In Rome, Paris, London, NYC etc...the phone in the picture above would be separated from it's owner in a short time...with or without a leash. The carabiners have no locks or deterrents and the case is easily peeled off the phone.
This leash is attached to the phone with an adhesive pad, and the carabiners do lock, which I discovered because I couldn't open them at first. But you are right, I would never leave a cell phone sticking out of a pocket.

I just gaffer tape my phone to my forehead. It works! Pickpockets won't come near me, cos they think I'm crazy or something. (But I don't understand why I am terminally single).

Joking aside, I use one for my pocket knife, I am forever leaving them behind on picnic benches. (Found many knives on the camino on picnic benches too).

Don't really care about my phone though. But I think it is a good idea if you do! Get one shorter than hip to floor, then if you drop it no worries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Flipbelt sits flat against your bod. I wear it over my pants hips with my shirt hanging over / covering it. If you buy the black one it doesn't stand out.

Cell phone (gigantoid iphone 6+) and passport fit in the front. That way they're real easy to pull out. You must buy Flipbelt Zipper for giant phones, it's wider than Flipbelt Classic. My small cash / credit card "purse" fits on front, towards the side, attached to Flipbelt's hook. In the back I zip in my Tyvek wallet (very thin) with my big cash and extra credit cards.

fullsizeoutput_86c.jpeg

Not owning a cell or smart phone for the last four years saves me this concern. Decided to go without one for awhile after retiring and four years later I don't miss having one at all. Very freeing.
People ask, 'How do people get a hold of you then?' They largely don't which is just about perfect...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
People ask, 'How do people get a hold of you then?' They largely don't which is just about perfect...
AHHHH.... The 'carelessness' of it all... One can only dream!!!!
I already had a well-meaning suggestions that I simply have to install some kind of tracking app as some of my friends, co-workers and Church members would LOVE to monitor my progress. I guess they will want the "live from Camino" updates next! :rolleyes:

Flipbelt sits flat against your bod. I wear it over my pants hips with my shirt hanging over / covering it. If you buy the black one it doesn't stand out.

Cell phone (gigantoid iphone 6+) and passport fit in the front. That way they're real easy to pull out. You must buy Flipbelt Zipper for giant phones, it's wider than Flipbelt Classic. My small cash / credit card "purse" fits on front, towards the side, attached to Flipbelt's hook. In the back I zip in my Tyvek wallet (very thin) with my big cash and extra credit cards.

View attachment 55666

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As far as secure, though I did look thru the article description, I did not see how this would stand up to a box knife or small wire cutters. Thieves are always well prepared.

View attachment 55666

Hmm. Think I'll be sewing my own today. Just need to raid my stash.......👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Keep your phone in your pocket, put good security on it, fingerprint or face recognition, back everything up on an automatic basis. Get good insurance. so if you accidentally throw your phone into the trash the day before you leave for the camino you can have it all sorted before you arrive.
good insurance will get you a replacement phone while you are away so it is one less thing to worry about.

@trecile, would you please remind us which crossbody purse you carry? Is is large enough to carry a credential in the plastic sleeve from Ivar, a guidebook such as a Wise Pilgrim guide, your phone and perhaps sunglasses? This leash looks like a great idea not just for a camino but for dog walking!

@trecile, would you please remind us which crossbody purse you carry? Is is large enough to carry a credential in the plastic sleeve from Ivar, a guidebook such as a Wise Pilgrim guide, your phone and perhaps sunglasses? This leash looks like a great idea not just for a camino but for dog walking!
The last two years I used this Travelon crossbody bag, and it holds everything that you mention except a guidebook, which I don't carry, except on my kindle app on my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E5JKPS8/?tag=casaivar02-20

However, this year I have a new giant phone that doesn't quite fit, so I'll be using this Baggallini Triple Zip bag that can be worn crossbody or as a waist pack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UYKH1C/?tag=casaivar02-20

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On a related idea, when anyone tries to log onto my phone the screen shows my name and provides instructions about what to do in any emergency. It's easy to set this up. Take a piece of paper about the shape and size of your phone. Write a message on the paper. Take a photo of the message with your phone. Then go find that photo and hunt for an option to use this image as your "desktop" image.

AHHHH.... The 'carelessness' of it all... One can only dream!!!!
I already had a well-meaning suggestions that I simply have to install some kind of tracking app as some of my friends, co-workers and Church members would LOVE to monitor my progress. I guess they will want the "live from Camino" updates next! :rolleyes:
Tell them you'll send postcards occasionally. I'd be terribly tempted to buy a very cheap phone, install the nosy parker tracking software, and send it off with a friend who is a long distance truck driver. I'm wicked that way.

I hate the obsession that people now have for knowing every movement you make. Mobile phones are very recent, for most of my life I've walked and travelled out of contact for weeks at a time. I hitch hiked around Europe age 17, sailed around the world and then worked on various charter yachts when I was 20-21. Even as a child, from about 10 my Mum would give me some sandwiches, enough change for the public telephone, and tell me to be home for tea, and my friends' mums did much the same thing. These days if you visit friends they are liable to try to insist that you call them when you "get home safely," something I will not do.

The really valuable thing is not usually the phone itself but the data on it. Losing an expensive iPhone is a pain,but losing all your contacts details, diary etc is far more serious, not just for your own use but because of all the personal information that can be retrieved. I shall be carrying a cheap phone with only the data that I actually need on route and not linked to my normal email and contacts details. Always use some form of security for access, and don't use the most common password - 123456!

Tell them you'll send postcards occasionally. I'd be terribly tempted to buy a very cheap phone, install the nosy parker tracking software, and send it off with a friend who is a long distance truck driver. I'm wicked that way.

I hate the obsession that people now have for knowing every movement you make. Mobile phones are very recent, for most of my life I've walked and travelled out of contact for weeks at a time. I hitch hiked around Europe age 17, sailed around the world and then worked on various charter yachts when I was 20-21. Even as a child, from about 10 my Mum would give me some sandwiches, enough change for the public telephone, and tell me to be home for tea, and my friends' mums did much the same thing. These days if you visit friends they are liable to try to insist that you call them when you "get home safely," something I will not do.
LOL
Honestly I don't think I even would want to be bothered with post cards ;)
I sort of posted it kinda like a joke - exactly along the line you are mentioning. People have to know everything 'right now' and the fact that I am in the middle of self-discovery (hoefully) spiritual Pilgrimage somehow does not penetrate
Oh Well....

On a related idea, when anyone tries to log onto my phone the screen shows my name and provides instructions about what to do in any emergency. It's easy to set this up. Take a piece of paper about the shape and size of your phone. Write a message on the paper. Take a photo of the message with your phone. Then go find that photo and hunt for an option to use this image as your "desktop" image.

I’ve been wondering how I can keep some essential health data visible on my mobile (on the lock screen) ... nobody seems to look for handwritten information any more 🙄 .... and there’s too much info for one of those medic-alert bracelets.

My mobile’s too old to have that emergency alert thingy; besides which, it’s rarely out of airplane mode.

Thank you, @bgil. Great idea!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.