• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phone vs SIM ; Lourdes Sept. 28th

Time of past OR future Camino
2007; Fall 2018 plan
Now that I finally have the right books (still can't do really good test drive due to incredible dog days... but soon..
Cellphone queries: trying to understand best option for cellphone I intend to carry for safety. Not planning, nor desire, to be on screens and receiving endless texts but will need in case of emergency. I've been reading my cellphone carriers options and researching about SIM card. Any thoughts about it appreciated... guess as many opinions as there are cellphones.. but I'm willing and appreciative.
Charles de Gaulle airport to bus to Montparnasse train: Sept. 28th flight to arrive in Paris mid-morning and then my plan is to scurry to Montparnasse Train station which means I scurry to hop on a bus that takes me to Montparnasse station but the bus takes at least an hour so btwn landing time and boarding time of train is very tight. Train does not arrive in Lourdes till around 5pm which I'm now thinking means it will be dark by then. Not big fan of finding my way to wherever I'm staying in the dark. Have work to do on that part and I have time... as you can read... working on various parts simultaneously...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that I finally have the right books (still can't do really good test drive due to incredible dog days... but soon..
Cellphone queries: trying to understand best option for cellphone I intend to carry for safety. Not planning, nor desire, to be on screens and receiving endless texts but will need in case of emergency. I've been reading my cellphone carriers options and researching about SIM card. Any thoughts about it appreciated... guess as many opinions as there are cellphones.. but I'm willing and appreciative.
Charles de Gaulle airport to bus to Montparnasse train: Sept. 28th flight to arrive in Paris mid-morning and then my plan is to scurry to Montparnasse Train station which means I scurry to hop on a bus that takes me to Montparnasse station but the bus takes at least an hour so btwn landing time and boarding time of train is very tight. Train does not arrive in Lourdes till around 5pm which I'm now thinking means it will be dark by then. Not big fan of finding my way to wherever I'm staying in the dark. Have work to do on that part and I have time... as you can read... working on various parts simultaneously...
Part 3: Pilgrims walking from Lourdes on Sept. 28th... are there any out there that I can join in with

Can you give us more information about your cell phone and carrier? What kind of phone? Is it unlocked? And who is your carrier, and in what country?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you downloaded an offline map app like maps.me then you wouldn’t have a problem being lost on arrival in Lourdes. There are far more uses for phones than texting of calls.

We re in Lourdes now and took the Le bus direct to Montparnassefrom CDG - we had bought our tickets on line and got onto a bus straight away - but not sure at the intervals if we had missed one (must say so on their site?) It’s not dark I. Lourdes at 5 and the place is not very big - many helpful people around to direct you, was our experience. However, we chose not to risk a too tight changeover and slept overnight near Montparnasse station. There are some reasonably priced options there. Hope that helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
About your phone question, this is how I ended the confusion. I'm with Sprint but my approach will work for any carrier. Get an old phone, the one that replaced your new one or perhaps a relative or friend's old phone. Buy the cheapest new sim card you can find. I bought one for $15.00 on line with about 15 minutes. Pop out the sim card on the old phone and pop in the new sim. If it works you now have a travel phone and buy sim cards as needed. If the phone is locked go to carrier or on line service to unlock the phone. Now you know how to do it yourself. You learn at home with no pressure. The old phone is good enough for travel purposes. Take one phone or both on your travels.

About your phone question, this is how I ended the confusion. I'm with Sprint but my approach will work for any carrier. Get an old phone, the one that replaced your new one or perhaps a relative or friend's old phone. Buy the cheapest new sim card you can find. I bought one for $15.00 on line with about 15 minutes. Pop out the sim card on the old phone and pop in the new sim. If it works you now have a travel phone and buy sim cards as needed. If the phone is locked go to carrier or on line service to unlock the phone. Now you know how to do it yourself. You learn at home with no pressure. The old phone is good enough for travel purposes. Take one phone or both on your travels.
Caveat: Depending on how old that Sprint phone is (such as an old flip phone), it may not work in Europe. Sprint uses CDMA technology, while Europe uses GSM technology -- not to get too technical, but it's similar to the old VHS vs Betamax issue. CDMA phones don't use SIM cards and won't work in GSM-land. Not so for the latest Sprint smart phones, but you must ensure that they are unlocked; see your provider to get it unlocked.

Another point to be aware of is the frequencies used by older smartphones. My old iPhone 3GS was originally manufactured for AT&T here in the US, and although it was a GSM phone, it was not compatible with the frequencies in Europe. My Verizon iPhone 5S was a so-called "world phone" and was compatible with the frequencies used in Europe, as is my current iPhone SE. And yes, recent Verizon smartphones are unlocked, so all you need is a SIM card from any EU country since there is no longer any roaming issue to worry about.

Since I have not owned an Android phone for several years, I am unaware of any issues related to current Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc phones.

We re in Lourdes now and took the Le bus direct to Montparnassefrom CDG - we had bought our tickets on line and got onto a bus straight away - but not sure at the intervals if we had missed one (must say so on their site?) It’s not dark I. Lourdes at 5 and the place is not very big - many helpful people around to direct you, was our experience. However, we chose not to risk a too tight changeover and slept overnight near Montparnasse station. There are some reasonably priced options there. Hope that helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
LGLG thank you for your reply. I researched the connections again. My flight arrives at 11:25am (late sept)
and first nonstop train to Lourdes is at 3:48pm. I think that is really perfect as that allows me to make connections in nonchaotic state of mind. [11:25am landing; find and get on bus and have the hour (w/traffic) necessary to get to Montparnasse which will be around 12:45pm and then buy ticket; try and relax since there will be 2.5 hours before train departure. {Maybe meet pilgrims heading to Lourdes}. Then arrive at Lourdes at 8:30pm. I am thinking that since it will be late September almost Oct. the time change will make it dark for sure by 8:30pm. Seems like a good idea to buy the train ticket ahead. I still have time to do that. Next need to find convent or place to stay in Lourdes for Saturday, Sunday... then depart on Monday for first bit of Camino. Want to go slow and mindfully .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
LGLG thank you for your reply. I researched the connections again. My flight arrives at 11:25am (late sept)
and first nonstop train to Lourdes is at 3:48pm. I think that is really perfect as that allows me to make connections in nonchaotic state of mind. [11:25am landing; find and get on bus and have the hour (w/traffic) necessary to get to Montparnasse which will be around 12:45pm and then buy ticket; try and relax since there will be 2.5 hours before train departure. {Maybe meet pilgrims heading to Lourdes}. Then arrive at Lourdes at 8:30pm. I am thinking that since it will be late September almost Oct. the time change will make it dark for sure by 8:30pm. Seems like a good idea to buy the train ticket ahead. I still have time to do that. Next need to find convent or place to stay in Lourdes for Saturday, Sunday... then depart on Monday for first bit of Camino. Want to go slow and mindfully .
That should work out well with your connections. Do buy your train ticket on line first - it will be cheaper also directly through oui sncf. When we went to the Santiago de compostella pilgrim centre it was closed - maybe because it was the 15 th of august? I don't know whether you've been to the sanctuary before, but we have been on several occasions - it is s moving experience each time and a great place to start and refine the Camino intention. If you arrive that late in Lourdes , you may have to pre arrange your accomodation. There will be a lot of people on the streets at 8.30pm because of the 9pm Marian procession.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
planes, trains, cellphones, maps... Camino will be easy after the start...
:)
Yes indeed, after 2 planes, 4 buses, 2 subways and 3 trains, we finally had our first Camino day walking today... hooray!!!!

Yaaaaaay for you ....I'm certain that all the physical, spiritual, emotional, psychological detachment is preparation for my Camino. Moving while simultaneously preparing for the walk has allowed for enormous opportunities of letting go of as much as possible. It has allowed me to choose exactly how detached I really wish or trust to become from various parts of my,life that I've carried with me for years: an interesting Camino of my heart before I've even stepped onto the Camino.
Can Imask where you stayed in Lourdes? I've begun looking at places. I have John Brierly 's book which I've been inhaling.

Yaaaaaay for you ....I'm certain that all the physical, spiritual, emotional, psychological detachment is preparation for my Camino. Moving while simultaneously preparing for the walk has allowed for enormous opportunities of letting go of as much as possible. It has allowed me to choose exactly how detached I really wish or trust to become from various parts of my,life that I've carried with me for years: an interesting Camino of my heart before I've even stepped onto the Camino.
Can Imask where you stayed in Lourdes? I've begun looking at places. I have John Brierly 's book which I've been inhaling.
In the past I stayed in a nunnery but I really can't remember who it was run by. This time, with my husband, we found a place through booking.com - most accommodation in Lourdes is very reasonably priced, basic but pleasant. Ours was hotel st Clair - nice people but there are many similar places within walking distance of the sanctuary .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.