• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell phones - SIM with data service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We took unlocked cellphones to Spain a couple years ago. No trouble getting cheap SIM cards (Orange) and they were used in both Spain and France largely to reserve ahead for Gites in France. I would have bought a data plan as well for email service but we were refused because we didn't have a permanent Spanish address. We are returning to walk the Via Francigenia this fall. We should make it from England to the Swiss border. Has anyone else had this problem of buying a SIM card with data service? Will we run into the same problem in England? France? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

David

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have used rebelfone.com in the past to get our sim cards. Although we have not used it, I noticed that they now also rent Mi-Fi devices with various data packages, and the Mi-Fi provides wireless service to your device. http://www.rebelfone.com/World-Data-Cards.aspx

If you have a cell phone with data service at home already, be sure to check with your service provider about their international rates ... you might be better off using the device you already have.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bought a Spanish data SIM for my Blackberry last year. SpanishSim.com
It worked like a bomb! I did all email checking of accommodation and transport, checked the weather, sent emails home, posted to my blog etc.
It is valid for as long as there is a balance of €4.50 in it so I will continue to use it whenever I am in Spain.
Much, much cheaper than using the roaming service of your local provider.

I used the Vodafone data SIM in an unlocked iPhone. You can pay as you go, adding time when you need it. It worked fine. Any streaming eats up your prepaid minutes, but I got about a week of email and news surfing for each 10E.

Thanks to all who replied. We will try Vodaphone or Orange when we arrive in Canterbury. Suspect we might have international roaming when we get to France, in which case we might wait the couple days until we get to Calais. In any event costs as displayed on the Vodaphone and Orange internet sites are significantly cheaper than international roaming from our local service provider even if we were to buy less costly prepaid plans before departing Canada.

David

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've used a Vodafone Sim Card on previous trips to Spain. I pre-order form http://www.spainsim.com/
I think pre-order is slightly more expensive than buying one in country, but it is nice to get off the plane ready to go.
You have to make sure you have an Unlocked GSM cell phone. In the U.S. that would be ATT or T-Mobile or similar. If you have a phone you got as part of a plan, it is locked to that provider. After the end of the contract period, normally 2 years, you can call the provider and have the phone unlocked for use overseas (my experience in the U.S.).
If you don't have an unlocked phone, you can rent one for the trip. These options will most likely be much cheaper than your provider's international rates, which can go into the stratosphere if you try to call home.
Most everyone I know in Spain uses no contract phones and refills are readily available. In fact, most can be refilled via an ATM transaction.
HTH,
CB

falcon269 said:
I used the Vodafone data SIM in an unlocked iPhone. You can pay as you go, adding time when you need it. It worked fine. Any streaming eats up your prepaid minutes, but I got about a week of email and news surfing for each 10E.

Falcon, my first stop with any time to search out a SIM card is in Pamplona..can you tell me where your acquired yours for the iPhone? I would love to go totally unconnected but if I want to have a boss that hasn't gone totally batty by the time I get back...I suppose I ought to check in with him every couple of days :D Another question too...if I change out the SIM card will the apps stay on my phone or will I need to download them again?
Thank you! -Lynette

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vodafone ... 6,,0,10.85

Calle de la Estafeta, 79, 31001 Pamplona, Spain
+34 607 10 02 17

The apps will be there. You need an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone with a removable SIM chip (Verizon claims that their SIM chip cannot be removed). Phone calls on the data chip are a bit expensive. Calls to Spain are not bad, but overseas calls may be really expensive. To preserve battery time, I only turn on the phone at a designated time. With the six hour Eastern Time Zone difference, I have chosen 1500 to 1800 Spanish time (beware daylight savings time differential between the US and Spain), and tell people to call during that time. I don't call them. They can always leave an email message that I can pick up on WiFi or where there is a Vodafone data signal. When emergencies worry me, I try to remember when a stamp was pretty much the fastest way to contact someone (or Sunday dialing rates). There is no emergency if you don't know about it; a corollary to no grief until you know someone has died.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't forget that you can use the Skype App on the iPhone to make phone calls for just pennies when you have service (preferably free wi-fi).

Thanks Falcon & Alipilgrim :) the check list of things to do just went down. 33 days till lift off!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
An alternative choice to Skype, I use it to speak with family in Argentina all the time. Its excellent.
My parents took their iPhones, which are locked to AT&T's US network with their US sim's and when they were on a WiFi down in Argentina, They could call my phone/vice versa. You need a Viber account and so does the person you're calling, but its all completely free.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/viber-fr ... 17920?mt=8

Another option is to carry a portable wi-fi device through a company called TEP Wireless (tepwireless.com). They are based out of the UK (You can pick up at UK airports if you are flying through those) or they can ship to the US (or other countries) before you leave. Their prices are comparable to what you would pay for cell service from an American provider while in Europe. With the wi-fi, you can then use it to make Skype or Viber calls, check email, etc.

Verizon has also started offering world data plans which are fairly reasonable compared to how expensive they have been in the past.

Update: Verizon 3GS & 4S have SIM slots and can be unlocked if you call Verizon and request it. Unfortunately the Verizon iPhone 4 DOES NOT have a SIM slot that can be accessed. Vodafone is your best bet for prepaid data plans, especially in Portugal. I am planning to do this when I arrive in Portugal.

Also, someone stated that Verizon phones cannot be used in Europe. This is not the case. They just need to be a "world phone" aka a quad band phone, usually, and they can be used if you ask for them to be unlocked and their SIM slot is accessible. I did this with my Blackberry Storm two years ago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another update--The Verizon Iphone 5 will have a sim card slot, and will be delivered unlocked!

It is a "nano sim", but until they are widely available a regular one can be trimmed to fit.

I'll use my iphone 5 from verizon, it is factory unlocked.

I'm thinking to use Movistar, does somebody know if is a good option? I saw on the website that they have unlimited data for prepaid phones, first 100mb full speed and after that they reduce the speed but still works! And is not expensive.

Do you know if they have good coverage on the camino frances?

And where can I buy the sim card on madrid airport?

Another possibility will be to buy it on Bordeaux, do you know if I can buy the spain sim card on France? For movistar for example...

Thanks!

One of our party had the Movistar SIM card with data plan during September 2012, between Sahagun and Santiago. Two others had Vodafone with no data plan. We were jealous of the Movistar setup. That data plan worked most places (but not all), and you could set her phone up so that we also could use the wi-fi. It was reasonably priced, and next time we go, we will get that. Vodafone also was reasonably priced; I don't recall whether they had a data plan. Phone coverage was a little less reliable than the wi-fi, but between Movistar and Vodafone, one of us almost always had coverage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Has anyone used a Verizon iPhone 5 with a Spanish nano SIM on the Camino? I'd rather not perform surgery on a micro SIM if I can avoid it. Thanks much.

It worked like a bomb! I did all email checking of accommodation and transport, checked the weather, sent emails home, posted to my blog etc.
It is valid for as long as there is a balance of €4.50 in it so I will continue to use it whenever I am in Spain.

Hi Sillydoll, where did you buy the SIM card? What was the provider? Brand? I am leaving April 30th from Houston to Madrid and will need to basically do all you did. Can I get it in Madrid or Pamplona? Thanks for the information.

I have a nano SIM from ekit I plan to use in an unlocked iphone 5s. Similiar/related North American sellers sell an Orange card that is a great deal, but they only cut to micro and say it is too deep to fit nano even if cut to size.

The one I have now is obviously stamped out--I did put it in the phone and was it recognized but didn't want to use it yet.

It seems to be a bit of a racket as there are a few companies selling identical products and just vary on shipping etc. Not sure which is the parent company. Telestial customer service was not the best....ekit is much more professionally presented but they do sell a lot of the same cards.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sillydoll, where did you buy the SIM card? What was the provider? Brand? I am leaving April 30th from Houston to Madrid and will need to basically do all you did. Can I get it in Madrid or Pamplona? Thanks for the information.

http://www.tuenti.com/movil They have the best deal going and are the prepaid arm of Movistar, and yes you can get them in Madrid or Pamplona.

In central Madrid, go to El Corte Ingles department store or The Phone House where all providers are located together. At the very least, you can compare them right there, and perhaps take advantage of offers.

Thank you all for the useful information. I will try to do it in Madrid or in Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We have used rebelfone.com in the past to get our sim cards. Although we have not used it, I noticed that they now also rent Mi-Fi devices with various data packages, and the Mi-Fi provides wireless service to your device. http://www.rebelfone.com/World-Data-Cards.aspx

Somehow, I could not get the link to work for Rebelfone.

I have a Sprint Galaxy S 4 that I would like to take with me for texting back to the U.S.

While in Japan, they had "internet cafes" everywhere. Does the Camino Frances have them? I don't want to take my computer but I would like to, on occasion, shoot an email back home to my friends.

I will check the rest of this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions for purchasing a SIM card once I am in Spain [ Sprint suggested this but had no recommendations for a reliable provider ].

It would be nice if Madrid Airport had a kiosk for this purpose. You'd think they would make a fortune having them when you get off the aircraft.

Thanks to all who can help with this issue.

Noah from Indianapolis

Post Script: These two [2] year old messages have out-dated URLs because the one suggested here is "for sale" and the first one just would not load. Sorry.

Last edited:

Did you purchase your SIM card before you left?

Do they just charge your credit card? How do you keep a balance? By pre-paying like a NET10 phone?

Still new in that this will be my first pilgrimage or in Europe long enough to need a cellphone or data services.

Will check the site you listed to see if they answer some of these questions as well.

Thank you!

Noah from Indianapolis

Falcon, my first stop with any time to search out a SIM card is in Pamplona..can you tell me where your acquired yours for the iPhone? I would love to go totally unconnected but if I want to have a boss that hasn't gone totally batty by the time I get back...I suppose I ought to check in with him every couple of days :D Another question too...if I change out the SIM card will the apps stay on my phone or will I need to download them again?
Thank you! -Lynette

That's a great question regarding the APPS and if they need to be re-downloaded if you exchange the SIM card.

There must be an easier way to do this. In movies, people just jump on the plane and use the same phone. The magic of movies!

If anyone can let me know their [ updated ] experience with a Sprint Galaxy S 4 phone and getting a SIM card / phone plan to contact home while on Camino, I would REALLY appreciate the information.

Thank you!

Noah from Indianapolis

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In central Madrid, go to El Corte Ingles department store or The Phone House where all providers are located together. At the very least, you can compare them right there, and perhaps take advantage of offers.

Hi Lynne.

Do you happen to know how far those places are from the airport?

Not sure if you would know but figure it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You would still think that these companies would realize that it would be very profitable to sell them from a kiosk at the airport.

Some folks need to go directly somewhere and the convenience of having it at the airport would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Noah

That's a great question regarding the APPS and if they need to be re-downloaded if you exchange the SIM card.

There must be an easier way to do this. In movies, people just jump on the plane and use the same phone. The magic of movies!

If anyone can let me know their [ updated ] experience with a Sprint Galaxy S 4 phone and getting a SIM card / phone plan to contact home while on Camino, I would REALLY appreciate the information.

Thank you!

Noah from Indianapolis

www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabetesCure

www.AChristianPsychologist.com

First you have to get Sprint to unlock your phone for international use which is like pulling teeth.
If you can get them to unlock it Crystal Media inside Barajas Airport in Madrid sells SIM cards from Vodaphone and Orange.

First you have to get Sprint to unlock your phone for international use which is like pulling teeth.
If you can get them to unlock it Crystal Media inside Barajas Airport in Madrid sells SIM cards from Vodaphone and Orange.

Thank you Bajaracer! Just what I had hoped for in an answer.

Here is the link for Crystal Media Shop inside Barajas Airport: http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...1/Crystal-Media-Shop.html?other=1237552882175

The shop is at Terminal T and boarding area C.

Yesterday, I had to wait in a queue on-line for 15 minutes but it was well worth the wait on Sprint Worldwide Services.

Seems if you don't mind the short wait, Sprint can do this while you are chatting with them. A nice feature.

However, where I felt lost [ and your information helped me to be found again ] was trying to get my SIM card replaced once I arrived in Spain.

Thanks to you, I now have a resolution if Crystal Media inside Barajas Airport remains open. I will arrive on 10 SEP 14 around 07h35 in the morning and hope they will be open before I need to leave on an Omnibus del ALSA to Pamplona.

I emailed them to make sure they had SIM cards and one for my for my Galaxy S 4.

If I just use the roaming feature of my phone internationally, its a bit pricey and data usage can be exorbitant. I am mostly interested in posting to my Facebook page as a journal of my sojourn and to text where I am to my friends.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help Bajaracer!!

Noah from Indianapolis

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought a Movistar prepaid sim and it has been working quite well for the last 3 weeks! I suggest you use the free wifi at cafés, bars and albergues and conserve your prepaid service.

I bought a Movistar prepaid sim and it has been working quite well for the last 3 weeks! I suggest you use the free wifi at cafés, bars and albergues and conserve your prepaid service.

Thank you Jeniffer!

Where did you purchase the "movistar pre-paid SIM"?

I contacted the Chrystal Media Shop [ in terminal T and boarding area B ] and waiting to hear back from them about their SIM cards.

I like the idea of a pre-paid service. I have two [2] cell phones. One from NET10 [pre-paid] and one from Sprint [ S 4 ]

Thanks for letting me know how / where you picked up a Movistar SIM card.

Do they have computers at the cafés, bars, or albergues for internet / emails? Or, do you just use your smartphone for this?

Noah from Indianapolis

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sprint says I can not purchase a SIM that would work in Spain until I get there.

Did you purchase one for Spain here?

Thanks,

Noah

Some people have bought one on line here, but I'm going to the Orange store in Pamplona, and get one there. That's my plan anyway. I'm not sure there's much benefit to buying one here on line.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some people have bought one on line here, but I'm going to the Orange store in Pamplona, and get one there. That's my plan anyway. I'm not sure there's much benefit to buying one here on line.

Thanks!

Think I will try to contact Crystal Media Shop in Madrid-Barajas Airport [ if I can find their email address ] and ask if they carry a SIM card for my phone, GS4, and if they do, just purchase it there in Terminal T-4 [ they are on YouTube ].

Keep the comments coming, please. In the meantime, back to the research.

Noah

Thanks!

Think I will try to contact Crystal Media Shop in Madrid-Barajas Airport [ if I can find their email address ] and ask if they carry a SIM card for my phone, GS4, and if they do, just purchase it there in Terminal T-4 [ they are on YouTube ].

Keep the comments coming, please. In the meantime, back to the research.

Noah

If you don't get the opportunity to buy a SIM at the airport, wait till you get picked up by Corazon Puro and they can take you to a place to get a SIM card with what you want.

If you don't get the opportunity to buy a SIM at the airport, wait till you get picked up by Corazon Puro and they can take you to a place to get a SIM card with what you want.

Thank you Bajaracer!

That's even a better idea that I had not considered. It's a GREAT idea. I don't know if I can still use my cell phone with it being "un-lock" but I would like to be able to call Corazon Puro so I can let them know when I arrive at the Pamplona bus station to let them know I am ready to be picked up.

If I get the International calling / texting plan from Sprint and TURN OFF the data push on my Galaxy S 4, it will not be very expensive to send out one group message [ they still charge for each recipient but I only have four in my "keep updated" group ] every other day or so. They will then pass on my updates to others. Each text, as it is right now, is 0.50 cents for each recipient texted and 0.05 cents for each received text.

Emails? I would rather stop at a Biblioteca Publicas or a cafe to do anything on the internet. And, if I make my calls while in a hotspot or a place with free WiFi, my text should be even less expensive.

This may be easier than trying to get a SIM card and still allow me to text as much as I need to do.

Still doing the research and appreciate everyone here making suggestions.

"A man of many counsel is a wise man" - Proverbs.

Noah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Bajaracer!

That's even a better idea that I had not considered. It's a GREAT idea. I don't know if I can still use my cell phone with it being "un-lock" but I would like to be able to call Corazon Puro so I can let them know when I arrive at the Pamplona bus station to let them know I am ready to be picked up.

If I get the International calling / texting plan from Sprint and TURN OFF the data push on my Galaxy S 4, it will not be very expensive to send out one group message [ they still charge for each recipient but I only have four in my "keep updated" group ] every other day or so. They will then pass on my updates to others. Each text, as it is right now, is 0.50 cents for each recipient texted and 0.05 cents for each received text.

Emails? I would rather stop at a Biblioteca Publicas or a cafe to do anything on the internet. And, if I make my calls while in a hotspot or a place with free WiFi, my text should be even less expensive.

This may be easier than trying to get a SIM card and still allow me to text as much as I need to do.

Noah

Your phone will work when it is unlocked, it's just not locked exclusively to Sprint, you should still be able to make calls and texts under the international voice/texting plan. I still prefer to get a local SIM card with data when I travel, even though I'm on T-Mobile with free texting, $.20 min voice calls, (you pay for incoming calls as well) and free roaming data which is slow (high speed is available for $50 for 500MB, no thanks, I can buy a local data SIM for less than €20). I mainly use data anyways and I'm not bound by waiting to get to a wifi hotspot.
Don't sweat about getting the card right away, you'll be able to get one.

Thank you Bajaracer!

Noah

Here is video on how to swap SIM cards.

Your phone will work when it is unlocked, it's just not locked exclusively to Sprint, you should still be able to make calls and texts under the international voice/texting plan. I still prefer to get a local SIM card with data when I travel, even though I'm on T-Mobile with free texting, $.20 min voice calls, (you pay for incoming calls as well) and free roaming data which is slow (high speed is available for $50 for 500MB, no thanks, I can buy a local data SIM for less than €20). I mainly use data anyways and I'm not bound by waiting to get to a wifi hotspot.
Don't sweat about getting the card right away, you'll be able to get one.
I'm hoping you know the answer to my question from your experience. When you put the new SIM card in your phone, are your apps still there. I don't understand if they are stored on the the memory in the phone or on the SIM card. I know I can send some apps to the phone, and wonder whether I should do that before putting the new SIM card in my phone. Thanks for helping this non-techy pilgrim. :) Pennie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hoping you know the answer to my question from your experience. When you put the new SIM card in your phone, are your apps still there. I don't understand if they are stored on the the memory in the phone or on the SIM card. I know I can send some apps to the phone, and wonder whether I should do that before putting the new SIM card in my phone. Thanks for helping this non-techy pilgrim. :) Pennie

With the iPhone, its all saved on the phone itself, not the SIM card, everything stays the same, contacts, apps, etc.

Upon arriving in Spain, locate a Movistar shop and walk in. Ask for a prepaid SIM for your phone. They will fill out the necessary paperwork for you. It will cost about 26€. Of this amount 20€ will go toward your new account. I made an initial deposit of 100€ thereby making my total amount 126€. I only use cellular service when I cannot find wifi. The rest of the time I have been messaging people back home over What's App and email over wifi. This method has been working out quite well. I am very happy with the Movistar service and should I have any issues, I know that I can pop into any of their shops in any town and receive proper assistance. If you want to wait until you get to Pamplona then you can just follow the above procedure while you are there. You will not need to call Istvan. He will already be outside in parking lot waiting for you. That is what he does in order to avoid keeping his clients waiting. You could also ask Istvan where the closest Movistar store is in relation to your place of arrival. you can then head over there on your own and he can pick you up a bit later.

'Glad I found this page! Anyone has info on getting a SIM card in Portugal? I am planning on doing the Portugues starting from Lisbon next May. Is there any place to buy a prepaid SIM card at the Lisbon airport? Thanks to any info anyone could share.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'Glad I found this page! Anyone has info on getting a SIM card in Portugal? I am planning on doing the Portugues starting from Lisbon next May. Is there any place to buy a prepaid SIM card at the Lisbon airport? Thanks to any info anyone could share.

Check the airport electronics stores or wait till you get into town and find a phone store, you should have any issues getting one.

Hi Joe,

I walked from Lisbon - Santiago in June/July this year.

I bought a prepaid SIM card at Lisbon airport from the Vodafone counter for my iPhone 5 - just make sure your phone is unlocked. The SIM card cost €25 for 1GB of data, unlimited texts and about 300 minutes of local calls. I also topped it up with €5 to be able to send international texts.

If you miss the Vodafone shop at the airport there are also about 3 shops in Lisbon itself but be careful with the opening times.

When I crossed into Spain I could still use the Internet on data roaming or you could buy another SIM card from Vodafone in Spain (I bought one in Pamplona last year on the camino Frances and it was basically the same deal as in Lisbon). I'm just not sure where the first Vodafone shop is that you will pass when you cross into Spain??

I wrote a daily blog here: followingthearrows.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
Kat

Thank you very much, Bajaracer and katdavis! 'Ordered my unlocked phone from Amazon last night. I plan on using it for sleeping reservations and other camino-related business, so the 25 euro SIM should be perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.