• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell Phones

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hi all! I have three cell phone questions:

Which is the best provider for the CF, Vodafone or Orange?

I have an old Vodafone SIM card from when I did the CF in June 2018, can I still recharge that? If so, will I have to wait until I get to Spain or can I charge it up from here in the US?

My wife is going with me and I want to get her a "burner" or "Flip Phone," which is what we call them here--a non smart phone (a dumb phone? Anyway, not an iPhone or the type with a large screen). How would you say Flip Phone or Burner phone in spanish?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have an old Vodafone SIM card from when I did the CF in June 2018, can I still recharge that? If so, will I have to wait until I get to Spain or can I charge it up from here in the US?

My wife is going with me and I want to get her a "burner" or "Flip Phone," which is what we call them here--a non smart phone (a dumb phone? Anyway, not an iPhone or the type with a large screen). How would you say Flip Phone or Burner phone in Spanish?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry

Often terms like that in one language, don't really translate to another language, as they are really just slang terms.

Might be easier to just ask for 'Cheap Phone' or 'Disposable Phone' perhaps.
Then the meaning is clearer.

But hopefully a Spanish speaker will have the answer.......

Often terms like that in one language, don't really translate to another language, as they are really just slang terms.

Might be easier to just ask for 'Cheap Phone' or 'Disposable Phone' perhaps.
Then the meaning is clearer.

But hopefully a Spanish speaker will have the answer.......

Perhaps also try asking for a 'basic' phone. I have a feeling that if you purchase the phone at your arrival airport or in a large town, a customer service representative may speak enough English to know what you want.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Donā€™t overcomplicate it. At most, itā€™s going to cost you an extra 5 euros to get a new sim card. But if youā€™re really fixed on topping up, just go to the Vodafone website for Spain, and see if you can do it.

Iā€™ve had both Vodafone and Orange on my caminos in Spain, and both have been fine. I just go into the first cell phone store I come to, and get my new sim card. The only extended time I didnā€™t have coverage in Spain was for a few days on the Primitivo, where no one had coverage.

Also, on your phone there should be a setting to ā€œenable wi-fi callingā€. This will allow you to make a call over wi-fi when youā€™re in your lodgings at night, or from a bar, should there not be cell coverage.

As to getting a cheap phone, youā€™ll just see them on the shelves in the cell phone stores. Just pick out the cheapest one, and point it out to the sales person. Or you can get one in advance here, from Amazon, or at a local cell phone store. Just make sure itā€™s unlocked.

My opinion on cell phones has been expressed before...several times so I won't repeat. My thoughts here are simple, get the dumbest dumbphone you can find. You will be caught in driving rain(s), you will forget the dad-blamed thing somewhere at least once, you will forget to charge or leave your charger in the last albergue, misplaced, lost, or stolen are all options. Why do you need the last word in modern telecommunications - the Camino is a wonderful refuge from all the so-called news, politics, natural disasters, local embroilments back home, sports, crime, and most other incidents which clutter our lives with undesired and distressfull disturbances. Whatsapp is good enough for 90% of what you may need to broadcast - do people back home really need to know that you have safely arrived in El Burgo Ranero(?) - far too many people think the LeĆ³n is a large city in France anyway. The phone option on Whatsapp sux but will be more than adequate to announce your triumphant entry into SdC!

I'm just back from disneyland paris where my husband and i used facebook for calling each other. Its a new(ish) service similar to whatsapp. It might be better to buy a cheap smartphone (samsung s3 or a cheap iphone) and use these free services rather than invest in a cheap non smart phone. The smartphones also have gps location on them when there is no mobile service, so would make it easier for emergeny services to locate you if needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Un telĆ©fono mĆ³vil tipo concha ... bĆ”sico ... con botones ... barato ... tipo concha ... para personas mayores ...
y gente frugal ... pasado de moda.

......the Camino is a wonderful refuge from all the so-called news, politics, natural disasters, local embroilments back home, sports, crime, and most other incidents which clutter our lives with undesired and distressfull disturbances.
@scruffy1, How right you are! I for one have been caught up in the anxiety and stress induced by too much screen time "news", even some of what is here on the forum. It is clear to me now, I need to walk the Meseta and perhaps a mountain or two.

For the record, I do carry a smartphone with a Vodafone SIM for emergencies and to briefly email my family once a day. This is because I walk alone, sometimes in remote areas.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may need phones for emergency or family contact, and a smart phone app for bookings, but try not to let them take over. Your pilgrimage is your time away, to let the camino talk to you instead of your phone.
I agree completely and that is why I think a smartphone is better. It just makes things easier and quicker if you need to use it or in case of an emergency. AN emergency can arise at any time and with a smartphone you can download the AlertCops app and be in contact with someone who speaks English and can help and guide you. It is also great as you said to speak on Viber or Whatsapp with loved ones back home.

My wife is going with me and I want to get her a "burner" or "Flip Phone," which is what we call them here--a non smart phone (a dumb phone? Anyway, not an iPhone or the type with a large screen). How would you say Flip Phone or Burner phone in spanish?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
I agree completely with what Albertgirl said and that is why I think a smartphone is better. It just makes things easier and quicker if you need to use it or in case of an emergency. AN emergency can arise at any time and with a smartphone you can download the AlertCops app and be in contact with someone who speaks English and can help and guide you. It is also great as you said to speak on Viber or Whatsapp with loved ones back home. I always use Orange only because their plan for 20 Euros which gives me 80 minutes of calling within Spain and if I remember correctly 10 gigs of Internet works best for me. I rarely prebook as I walk during non peak times and it isn't necessary. This year I will walk in November and December so I will use the phone more just to check if Albergues are open. I like the amount of internet so if the wifi is weak I can call home without a problem. Also if your Spanish is weak it is easier to communicate if you have a translation app or if you are booking in an albergue or hostel you can always use Booking.com. I just think it makes your life easier.

I have an old Vodafone SIM card from when I did the CF in June 2018, can I still recharge that?
No. They die and expire within six months. If you buy a recharge from Vodafone, they will take your money, which promptly disappears. You will not get a credit even if you immediately purchase a new SIM card. You get a lot of phone minutes and data for under 10E these days.

Funny or tragic story which will underscore Scruffy1's post:

I was just East of Logrono, checking my position with a Camino App, when I fell down an embankment, rolled over my pack and broke a couple of ribs. I finished the CF, but was in excruciating pain for, well, it still hurts a a little bit a year later. I learned my lesson. I only want the phone to keep in touch with family. I have an iPhone. I want my wife to have a telefono basico (thanks to Raggy) so we can keep in touch should we get separated, and:

I sort of answered my own question. I forgot that I mostly used Skype the whole time. I just couldn't receive calls, only make outgoing ones.

Thanks for all your replies.

Warmly,

Barry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree completely and that is why I think a smartphone is better. It just makes things easier and quicker if you need to use it or in case of an emergency. AN emergency can arise at any time and with a smartphone you can download the AlertCops app and be in contact with someone who speaks English and can help and guide you. It is also great as you said to speak on Viber or Whatsapp with loved ones back home.

I agree completely with what Albertgirl said and that is why I think a smartphone is better. It just makes things easier and quicker if you need to use it or in case of an emergency. AN emergency can arise at any time and with a smartphone you can download the AlertCops app and be in contact with someone who speaks English and can help and guide you. It is also great as you said to speak on Viber or Whatsapp with loved ones back home. I always use Orange only because their plan for 20 Euros which gives me 80 minutes of calling within Spain and if I remember correctly 10 gigs of Internet works best for me. I rarely prebook as I walk during non peak times and it isn't necessary. This year I will walk in November and December so I will use the phone more just to check if Albergues are open. I like the amount of internet so if the wifi is weak I can call home without a problem. Also if your Spanish is weak it is easier to communicate if you have a translation app or if you are booking in an albergue or hostel you can always use Booking.com. I just think it makes your life easier.

What's the weather like in November and December? We're planning on going in April and are afraid it might be too cold (as we don't want to carry heavy clothing). Are there some albergues open in November and December? I thought they all closed mid October.

Thanks for any info.

I thought they all closed mid October.
No. Some close in mid-October. There are still enough to accommodate the pilgrims who are out there.
afraid it might be too cold (as we don't want to carry heavy clothing)
There is no need to be carrying heavy clothing. See my post on your other thread about September-October. Same applies for November-December with minor adjustments.

What's the weather like in November and December? We're planning on going in April and are afraid it might be too cold (as we don't want to carry heavy clothing). Are there some albergues open in November and December? I thought they all closed mid October.

Thanks for any info.
I have to disagree somewhat to what C clearly said. I think it got progressively colder the later into October I got. I stayed in a few albergues that were pretty chilly. In a few cases it was colder inside the albergue then outside. I think Galicia can get quite cold in November and December. I will be walking the CF this year in Nov/Dec and will have a much better. Cold and hot are sort of relative of course. I live in the tropics now and people in winter will have sweatshirts and coats over their sweatshirts and in the morning and it is 70+F (21C) degrees out in the morning. There were definitely albergues that were closing the later into October but there will be albergues open for sure. There will be less and you will have to plan a little more but it is definitely doable. Probably will get alot of rain in Galicia but you can never be sure of the weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Phone provider questions are like boot/shoe questions.
Everyone has their favorite.

I've walked most of the routes of the Camino and have found Vodafone to work great for me.
Never had a problem with connecting.

I'm not sure if you can use your old SIM card. You could find out when you arrive in Spain.

Also, just ask for a burner (tourist) phone - there have always been people who speak English in the Vodafone stores when I've been there, and they're used to pilgrim's questions.

Amen. Google translate was invaluable when trying to describe symptoms to medical personnel, on more than one occasion. Not to mention RometoRio. And Jacotrans only communicates by WhatsApp. I've been able to make bookings from the middle of nowhere using the Camino apps on my phone. I'm retired so it's not like I'm getting a lot of work related emails, and I'm not a particularly communicative person in normal life, so a smartphone is no intrusion.

I just brought the phone I use here... iPhone 6s+. I got an orange SIM card when I got to Spain. My Spanish is limited but there were several people at the Orange store who spoke English. They seem to have done this before and were wonderful setting it up for me. I used the phone to email home most days as I traveled alone. I also used it to read. Otherwise I enjoyed the beautiful country and people I met. Enjoy your trip all these worries drift away along the WayšŸ˜‰

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
I think it will depend where you buy it. Both Vodaphone and Orange are good. I bought a Sim Card good for 1 month for about 15 Euros in Pamplona and another one in Leon to last for the rest of the trip. If you buy it in France, itā€™s Vodafone. In Spain, buy either.
The stores are in the larger cities so plan accordingly. I always had cell service & was glad to not have to use the free not secure WiFi

My opinion on cell phones has been expressed before...several times so I won't repeat. My thoughts here are simple, get the dumbest dumbphone you can find. You will be caught in driving rain(s), you will forget the dad-blamed thing somewhere at least once, you will forget to charge or leave your charger in the last albergue, misplaced, lost, or stolen are all options. Why do you need the last word in modern telecommunications - the Camino is a wonderful refuge from all the so-called news, politics, natural disasters, local embroilments back home, sports, crime, and most other incidents which clutter our lives with undesired and distressfull disturbances. Whatsapp is good enough for 90% of what you may need to broadcast - do people back home really need to know that you have safely arrived in El Burgo Ranero(?) - far too many people think the LeĆ³n is a large city in France anyway. The phone option on Whatsapp sux but will be more than adequate to announce your triumphant entry into SdC!
Totally agree. You could alternately take your smartphone for photos and just get WhatsApp for checking in. There is enough WiFi for any connecting with the world... or not

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why buy a new phone instead of just a SIM card?
Itā€™s all good - just be wary of the free WiFi. We saw plenty of ā€œspoofingā€ and ā€œsniffingā€ while it was happening.

Why buy a new phone instead of just a SIM card?
Itā€™s all good - just be wary of the free WiFi. We saw plenty of ā€œspoofingā€ and ā€œsniffingā€ while it was happening.

I am getting a SIM card for my iPhone and getting my wife a cheap burner phone so we can stay in touch. Thanks for your help, BTW

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Itā€™s when people can hack into your phone. I canā€™t explain it but we saw SENT mail we hadnā€™t sent and Downloads we hadnā€™t started. Cell service is more secure. There was enough data on my SIM card for me to use my phoneā€™s Hotspot for my husband to use his phone instead of using local WiFi .
I donā€™t want to suggest that this is anything more than a random issue.

Itā€™s when people can hack into your phone. I canā€™t explain it but we saw SENT mail we hadnā€™t sent and Downloads we hadnā€™t started. Cell service is more secure. There was enough data on my SIM card for me to use my phoneā€™s Hotspot for my husband to use his phone instead of using local WiFi .
I donā€™t want to suggest that this is anything more than a random issue.

Well, thanks for the alert!

Amen. Google translate was invaluable when trying to describe symptoms to medical personnel, on more than one occasion. Not to mention RometoRio. And Jacotrans only communicates by WhatsApp. I've been able to make bookings from the middle of nowhere using the Camino apps on my phone. I'm retired so it's not like I'm getting a lot of work related emails, and I'm not a particularly communicative person in normal life, so a smartphone is no intrusion.
I took my smart phone with all of its apps and unlimited data, although I have 5 email accounts on the phone I only read the ones I was expecting, my other half was at home and would sms me if she sent me something I needed to sort out for the household. Something I could do in 30 seconds but might take her all morning because she does not have the info All other emails were ignored.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). Iā€™m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.