• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cell phones

tjm

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2006; Aug-Sept 2014
13 days to go and I thought I had my kit all planned, if not actually packed.

Now all of the wonderful people, who are letting me go and staying behind, keep asking me to take a phone.

I can get my US phone adapted so that it will work in Spain (and then everyone will know how to find me), but my daughter is going to school in France next year and she was told it was better to get a phone there (at the news stand?). Does this work in Spain? Can I get a phone in Roucevalles and turn it in in Santiago?

Any advise? (other than leave the phone behind. I lost that one.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,

If you have a cell phone at home that works in Europe (ask your local cell phone store if it does) then you can bring this phone with you and use it. It will be expensive to use your "home cell phone number" so what many do is to get a Spanish cell phone number. This costs about 30-40 euro and usually includes 20-30 euro that can be used to call for. In Spain it does not cost anything to receive a call, so with this option you can receive calls from home for free (the caller pays an international call of course).

Buying this phone number in France, if you are spending 99% of your time in Spain is not a good idea. The you would be paying international fees on all calls (incoming + outgoing).

These cards have a higher calling price than normal, but there is no contract and no commitments. If you have not charged your card for one year (some operators use 6 months), the number will be lost and your current balance as well.

How do you buy a phone number in Spain? Look for a cellphone store (the big ones are Vodafone or Telefonica) and ask for a "tarjeta". They will give you an envelope with a small card in it that you put in your phone... the envelope also indicates your new number. There is no contract signed!

For an earlier thread on phone cards and cell phones here:
viewtopic.php?t=779

Ivar

Ohh.. and if you bring your phone from the USA over, remember that you need an adapter to plug in your charger as well.

Ivar, thanks for your quick response. As always this is a big help. Now all I have to do is decipher and decide.

Ah to only have to get up each day, face away from the sun, and see how far I go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are the adapter plugs for chargers the same for Spain as they are for Italy. The two-pronged kind.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.