Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell Reception on the Primitivo

H

HighlandsHiker

Can anyone who has taken a cell phone on the Primitivo tell me whether there are areas where reception wasn't possible and, if so, roughly where those areas are? Thanks!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can anyone who has taken a cell phone on the Primitivo tell me whether there are areas where reception wasn't possible and, if so, roughly where those areas are? Thanks!!

On the Camino now but not far enough along to comment yet. It'll depend on what network your SIM is with too I suspect... I've a Spanish SIM with Vodafone.

Off the top of my head, having walked the Primitivo exactly a year ago, I would say there were places were there was no reception, just as there quite certainly are in rural Ireland where I live. I am not very phone dependent when I am travelling, so I am not the best person to ask. And I obviously use wifi for browsing when it is available.
My impression was that cover generally was good and probably better than where I live. But I cannot give you specifics.
I was roaming on EIR. Paradoxically, I think you often get better coverage when you are roaming, because you are not confined to your own network as you often are at home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Camino now but not far enough along to comment yet. It'll depend on what network your SIM is with too I suspect... I've a Spanish SIM with Vodafone.
Thanks so much, Irishgurrrl! I'm reading your posts with interest. I had a Spanish SIM the first time and had trouble with it, so use a Verizon international plan now. Sounds like there are others on the Primitivo so that at least in the evenings there are others to be among. Is it mostly solitary walking during the day for you?

Tim, thank you so much! I've been looking at the elevation profiles today and, of course, knew it was strenuous, but there look to be very long stretches of "SJPP-to-Hunto- level" climbs and worse. I live and train in the mountains here in the States, and am hoping that starting on the Norte in Bilbao will help to be more prepared by the time the rough part of the Primitivo starts. I'll be prepared knowing not to count on continuous reception then...and will probably not take the Hospitales route unless there are a others to go over with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had Vodaphone on the Primitivo and on the Alto de la Marta I had no reception, but with Orange did.

I also had problems with Voda going through my € with minimal use. Never figured out why. So for the next walk I paid my local provider. This time I decided to give Spanish providers a chance again. I went with Lebara since it had a booth at the airport and forum said it was inexpensive.

I perhaps should have paid more attention to the plan for texts as I went theough my 20€ quickly. I am wondering if it had to do with the texts received amd sentto French and Swedish phones.

Googling and calling is key for booking a bed and calling a taxi to come and collect you on the side of the road when you breakdown. Texting with fellow walkers checking in to see how one is doing, or deciding on a meeting place.

I had Vodaphone on the Primitivo and on the Alto de la Marta I had no reception, but with Orange did.

I also had problems with Voda going through my € with minimal use. Never figured out why. So for the next walk I paid my local provider. This time I decided to give Spanish providers a chance again. I went with Lebara since it had a booth at the airport and forum said it was inexpensive.

I perhaps should have paid more attention to the plan for texts as I went theough my 20€ quickly. I am wondering if it had to do with the texts received amd sentto French and Swedish phones.

Googling and calling is key for booking a bed and calling a taxi to come and collect you on the side of the road when you breakdown. Texting with fellow walkers checking in to see how one is doing, or deciding on a meeting place.
It was probably you, Anemone, who said you had a taxi come and collect you from the highway after the peak on the Hospitales route? That sounds like a great idea, but it is doubtful that I could get it transacted - my Spanish is horrid, even with Google translate. I think I've got a grip on getting those other things accomplished while staying within the plan, but in the end, all of the intricacies of these plans seem a bit tricky. Thanks for your help!!

It was probably you, Anemone, who said you had a taxi come and collect you from the highway after the peak on the Hospitales route? That sounds like a great idea, but it is doubtful that I could get it transacted - my Spanish is horrid, even with Google translate. I think I've got a grip on getting those other things accomplished while staying within the plan, but in the end, all of the intricacies of these plan seem a bit tricky. Thanks for your help!!
Yup, that was me: knowing my limits! You could also arrange ot the night before with the help of others at the albergue or at the Barrin restaurant in Borres. Then the taxist will know that when she or he gets a call from an english person, ot will be you, ready to be picked up at the road crossong. Say something along "hola, soy yo, el ingles que pidio taxi en el Alto de Marta ayer. Ya llegue."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yup, that was me: knowing my limits! You could also arrange ot the night before with the help of others at the albergue or at the Barrin restaurant in Borres. Then the taxist will know that when she or he gets a call from an english person, ot will be you, ready to be picked up at the road crossong. Say something along "hola, soy yo, el ingles que pidio taxi en el Alto de Marta ayer. Ya llegue."
I'm copying and pasting that sentence, Anemone, as soon as I get done laughing:0))). That's a great idea and I plan to do exactly that. I'll practice with the Google translate audio option. Thank you so much!!

I'm copying and pasting that sentence, Anemone, as soon as I get done laughing:0))). That's a great idea and I plan to do exactly that. I'll practice with the Google translate audio option. Thank you so much!!
Jistt don't pee your pants while laughing, or use Kanga's Camino tip about panty liners first!

Tim, thank you so much! I've been looking at the elevation profiles today and, of course, knew it was strenuous, but there look to be very long stretches of "SJPP-to-Hunto- level" climbs and worse. I live and train in the mountains here in the States, and am hoping that starting on the Norte in Bilbao will help to be more prepared by the time the rough part of the Primitivo starts. I'll be prepared knowing not to count on continuous reception then...and will probably not take the Hospitales route unless there are a group of others to over with.
It is almost a year to the day since I walked hospitales route last year. We were cohort of about 25 moving daily. (Only a few weeks later this had increased VERY much). "Nearly everyone" did hospitales on our day. It was NOT isolated in that sense, though you could walk alone if you wished. And you'll certainly know the evening before who is planning what if you stay in Borres. It was very beautiful, though if it was misty you would lose out, even if you wouldn't get lost -it's very well marked. It's a long stretch without a bar....but I don't remember it as extraordinarily strenuous. Less so than the climb to O Cebreiro on CF for instance. If you want to do it, and there other people doing it, I don't think you need to worry about poor phone coverage. It's a long time since I walked SJPP to Roncesvalles, but Hospitales not as long a day as that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is almost a year to the day since I walked hospitales route last year. We were cohort of about 25 moving daily. (Only a few weeks later this had increased VERY much). "Nearly everyone" did hospitales on our day. It was NOT isolated in that sense, though you could walk alone if you wished. And you'll certainly know the evening before who is planning what if you stay in Borres. It was very beautiful, though if it was misty you would lose out, even if you wouldn't get lost -it's very well marked. It's a long stretch without a bar....but I don't remember it as extraordinarily strenuous. Less so than the climb to O Cebreiro on CF for instance. If you want to do it, and there other people doing it, I don't think you need to worry about poor phone coverage. It's a long time since I walked SJPP to Roncesvalles, but Hospitales not as long a day as that.
I guess my phone reception concern was more about being female and hiking alone, although medical problems have crossed my mind - not only for myself but for other hikers. I've run into two problems in populated areas on the Camino and once on an isolated backroad coming from a side-hike to see the Monastery at Canas. In addition, have read over the years of others having trouble in isolated areas, so am always concerned about those things.

That's good information, and I thank you for your recollections about the strenuousness of it. Was thinking of staying in Campiello, but really would like to do the Hospitales route for the exhilaration and beauty of it, so will hope for as many people in a cohort in early June as you experienced. Just noticed your county - Wicklow is a beautiful place!

I guess my phone reception concern was more about being female and hiking alone, although medical problems have crossed my mind - not only for myself but for other hikers. I've run into two problems in populated areas on the Camino and once on an isolated backroad coming from a side-hike to see the Monastery at Canas. In addition, have read over the years of others having trouble in isolated areas, so am always concerned about those things.

That's good information, and I thank you for your recollections about the strenuousness of it. Was thinking of staying in Campiello, but really would like to do the Hospitales route for the exhilaration and beauty of it, so will hope for as many people in a cohort in early June as you experienced. Just noticed your county - Wicklow is a beautiful place!
Borres takes a bit off the journey next day. But Campiello fine too. There is a bar in Borres and albergue better than older guides say. And bar does breakfast next morning. Plenty of women walking. I walked several days with three, who had met up along the way. They were most caring and had retrieved my trousers the morning I left them drying, even though I hadn't missed them!! Probably worth booking a place for the evening of hospitales. Can't remember the name of the place. We were fine, but it is a bit of a bottleneck.

Borres takes a bit off the journey next day. But Campiello fine too. There is a bar in Borres and albergue better than older guides say. And bar does breakfast next morning. Plenty of women walking. I walked several days with three, who had met up along the way. They were most caring and had retrieved my trousers the morning I left them drying, even though I hadn't missed them!! Probably worth booking a place for the evening of hospitales. Can't remember the name of the place. We were fine, but it is a bit of a bottleneck.
Good thing those nice women delivered your trousers - it can get chilly when one goes hiking off without them, and it alarms the more modest people.

Glad to hear the Borres albergue is better now - that was exactly the rationale behind staying in Campiello instead of Borres. Berducedo seems to be the next place where things converge, so will make a reservation there. Much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad to hear the Borres albergue is better now - that was exactly the rationale behind staying in Campiello instead of Borres. Berducedo seems to be the next place where things converge, so will make a reservation there. Much appreciated!
Yes Borres is not luxury(!) but is clean. And there was cake!! Possibly a little cramped, it is typical old school building, but I have to say that didn't bother me. And the bar, which is about 1km further up, in the village centre is very nice. You need to go there to check in anyway, or you did last year. The people who had taken a bed without going up to the bar first had to politely give way to those who had, but there were mattresses too for the latecomers. The hospitalera came out about 4:30pm. Nice garden to sit in if it is sunny. Well it is just a field really, but still nice.
Yes indeed, Berducedo. Stayed in a private albergue, in on the right, opposite from bars on main road on the left. Name something like camino antiguo??? You pass a little graveyard I think, but it is within the village.
Here it is http://camin-antiguo.blogspot.ie/ Very nice and friendly. I remember you had to lean on the kitchen wall to get wifi, but plenty of wifi in bar.

CAKE! Alright, it's settled then. Will check the front door to see if they've changed their check-in process before going into town. Good to have this information to get a bit of an image of what things are like ahead of time. I've had great stays in semi-crumbly old albergues because of the people staying in them, and luxury is sometimes just uncomfortable. The Albergue Rural Camin Antiguo sounds lovely - their description of the place is downright poetic, at least as translated mostly by Google. Will remember that trick about the WiFi. When I know on the way how the days are going before that stretch, will book with them, and again, thank you so much!

CAKE! Alright, it's settled then. Will check the front door to see if they've changed their check-in process before going into town. Good to have this information to get a bit of an image of what things are like ahead of time. I've had great stays in semi-crumbly old albergues because of the people staying in them, and luxury is sometimes just uncomfortable. The Albergue Rural Camin Antiguo sounds lovely - their description of the place is downright poetic, at least as translated mostly by Google. Will remember that trick about the WiFi. When I know on the way how the days are going before that stretch, will book with them, and again, thank you so much!
Haha. The "town" of Borres is about half a dozen buildings!! ;) The lady in Camino Antiguo was very friendly and helpful once you had taken your shoes off and deposited sticks! And free coffee and tea in the kitchen. And she graciously put up a few overflow people on settees. She has both rooms, and a big spacious room with bunks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha. The "town" of Borres is about half a dozen buildings!! ;) The lady in Camino Antiguo was very friendly and helpful once you had taken your shoes off and deposited sticks! And free coffee and tea in the kitchen. And she graciously put up a few overflow people on settees. She has both rooms, and a big spacious room with bunks.
No idea why I assumed a "town". Picture readjusted to 6 bldgs, reminding me of those little patches of huddled stone structures that the Camino squeezes through in Galicia that are part of someone's farm (but have a name as a town on the map). Glad to hear that there might be extra beds for overflow!

Thanks so much, Irishgurrrl! I'm reading your posts with interest. I had a Spanish SIM the first time and had trouble with it, so use a Verizon international plan now. Sounds like there are others on the Primitivo so that at least in the evenings there are others to be among. Is it mostly solitary walking during the day for you?

Yes you will definitely meet other pilgrims in the evenings and maybe see a few on the trail too. Most days I've barely met any other pilgrims while walking on the trail itself but it seems to be getting busier. I guess it just depends on whether your stages match others or not, what time to start hiking in the morning and whether the town or village you've chosen for the night is a popular stopping point or not. I'm mainly walking alone as its my preference for this Camino but today I met a retired French pilgrim about half way to my destination tonight and we had a lovely time walking together. So far I've met Americans, Canadians, Dutch, Germans, Brazilians, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italians.... Possibly more nationalities but that's all I can think of at the moment :)

Yes you will definitely meet other pilgrims in the evenings and maybe see a few on the trail too. Most days I've barely met any other pilgrims while walking on the trail itself but it seems to be getting busier. I guess it just depends on whether your stages match others or not, what time to start hiking in the morning and whether the town or village you've chosen for the night is a popular stopping point or not. I'm mainly walking alone as its my preference for this Camino but today I met a retired French pilgrim about half way to my destination tonight and we had a lovely time walking together. So far I've met Americans, Canadians, Dutch, Germans, Brazilians, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italians.... Possibly more nationalities but that's all I can think of at the moment :)
Jealous! With happy memories of Primitivo this time last year. Continue to enjoy. I start from Madrid, straight from the airport tomorrow. Looks like the cold snap has finished there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jealous! With happy memories of Primitivo this time last year. Continue to enjoy. I start from Madrid, straight from the airport tomorrow. Looks like the cold snap has finished there?

Thanks timr. Yep, weather has most definitely warmed up to around 20 degrees during the day. :)

That sounds good, Irishgurrrl. You are a Camino veteran and I appreciate hearing about your experiences while on the road now. I usually prefer to hike alone also except for those times such as you had today - it adds much to be able to share a few pleasant hours with someone learning about their lives. Based on some other accounts, I'd expected there to be very few English Speakers on the Norte or Primitivo, so am glad to hear otherwise. Can scrape by in French fairly well, but hate to torture them by butchering their beautiful language. Met a few people who had done the Everest Base Camp who actually said the day we hiked over the Pyrenees in extreme winds was worse than doing the Everest Base Camp. Heard a few days ago that there's a litter clean-up project going on there. You must be training hard and excited about doing it! Hope you have a good meal and rest!

Thanks timr. Yep, weather has most definitely warmed up to around 20 degrees during the day. :)
Just based on right now, do you suppose one could one stay warm in the mornings with a thin rain jacket and layers under? I always take a light sleeping bag.

Wow, very nice! That's a newer route, Tim? Will be eager to hear how it is.

Just based on right now, do you suppose one could one stay warm in the mornings with a thin rain jacket and layers under? I always take a light sleeping bag.

Depends on what time of the day you start walking but I hike hot so I was fine with just my Icebreaker (merino) long sleeve top this morning. Other mornings I either started off wearing a fleece or my rain jacket over the top and maybe a buff around my neck. Once I get higher up I guess I may have to wear all my layers and maybe even my wool hat or gloves if I leave early morning or if the temperature dips. But short answer is yes just normal hiking layers are fine. Layer up or down according to the temp. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes my Spanish isn't great either. Just the basics. Like you I've good French. From my experience the locals are very kind here even when I butcher their language. Like most places they appreciate people making the effort.

It's good they are doing a litter clean up in Nepal. My EBC trek training is only really kicking off properly now. Have gotten woefully unfit to be honest this past year or two so I'm hoping this Camino helps me ramp up the training properly. With over 5 months to go I should be fine. I've been keeping the distances relatively short where I can on this Camino and just as well as I'm pretty slow on the ole hills until my hill fitness improves. The hills haven't really started yet so I'm hoping I manage on the tough sections. Just taking it one day at a time. Worst case scenario I can always shorten the day by taking a lift/ taxi somewhere. :)
That's impressive, and sounds like a good gradual-increase plan. Are you seeing taxi numbers posted on the doors of tiendas or asking hospitaleros or using the internet?

That's impressive, and sounds like a good gradual-increase plan. Are you seeing taxi numbers posted on the doors of tiendas or asking hospitaleros or using the internet?

Haven't booked a taxi yet but I'll just ask locally if I ever need one. Someone on the forum used one to make the Hospitales day a bit more manageable. I'll play it by ear but it's good to know I have the option if I need it :)

Last edited:
Depends on what time of the day you start walking but I hike hot so I was fine with just my Icebreaker (merino) long sleeve top this morning. Other mornings I either started off wearing a fleece or my rain jacket over the top and maybe a buff around my neck. Once I get higher up I guess I may have to wear all my layers and maybe even my wool hat or gloves if I leave early morning or if the temperature dips. But short answer is yes just normal hiking layers are fine. Layer up or down according to the temp. :)
Where are you on the trail now? Doesn't sound like there's much traffic yet. We leave for Spain in 1 week and trying to get a handle on the amount of traffic on the Primitivo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back