• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cell reception

EmoJohnson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
A dumb question perhaps, but what's cell reception like on the Camino Portuguese, coastal way?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is embarrassing to mention, but my cellular reception all across the Iberian Peninsula is far better, and at higher speeds, than here at home in Palm Beach County, Florida. There are technical, economic, and political reasons for this disconnect, but it exists.

In general, European and Asian countries, late to providing modern, nationwide phone networks (like, well after WWII) opted for cellular towers and service over old-fashioned hard-wired land lines. While most of these countries had earlier, basic, land-line networks, by the 1980s when telecommunication demand soared, most countries outside the US went for the advantages of wireless communication based on well placed cellular antenna towers.

Communication service providers in the US remained focused on hard-wired solutions for several decades, only until recently (last 10 - 15 years) adopting the full wireless business model. As a result, we are usually on the tail end of adopting new wireless technologies.

Typically, you will always have at least 3G coverage, with at least two signal bars, depending on phone. In large towns and cities in both Spain and Portugal, I typically get near maximum signal strength with full LTE coverage.

The unique limiting factor in Portugal or any old European country with lots of really old stone structures, like churches, municipal buildings, hotels and in general is signal propagation. Inside these structures, your signal strength will be reduced to zero or near zero.

In fact, my home in Florida is made of steel reinforced, concrete blocks (hurricane resistant construction codes) with stucco on the outside and a concrete Spanish "S" tile roof. This mass reduces my cellular signals to ZIP. If it were not for the ability to use my t-Mobile iPhone over Wi-Fi, I would have to go outside to receive or make a phone call. Cellular data is simply not possible without the Wi-Fi.

Also, when I work at the new Pilgrim Office (rua Carretas) in the summer this is an issue. You will see staff and pilgrims realize that the only place they can get a decent data or voice cellular signal is to go out on the western terrace, adjacent to the Pilgrim Office. So, regardless of where you are, being in a massive stone or concrete building will pose issues.

Also, I cannot recall being in a cellular "dead zone" anywhere in either Portugal or Spain. I am sure these locations exist. But, I have not yet encountered one (except in massive stone buildings.).

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back